5 tips from Top Pro accountant, JR Gramstad.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
1 4 747

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 8.45.50 AM.png

According to his calculations, Dallas-based accountant JR Gramstad gets a 2,300 percent return on his investment as a pro on Thumbtack. Here’s what the business savvy accountant shares  about getting a business off the ground.

1. Invest your money wisely.

When I started my business in November 2015, I looked at many different print, online and advertising services. Nothing I have used has come close to the ROI (return on investment) that Thumbtack has generated. By my last calculation, Thumbtack has generated over 2,300 percent on the investment I have put into it.

2. Make a great impression.

First impressions matter, especially on Thumbtack. Clients want to know that the professional can handle their tax situation.

3. Build a great profile.

Take the time to set up your profile properly. Clients look that what you write or if you even bothered to fill it out at all. Make sure your pictures and headshot look great. Do like I did and hire someone on Thumbtack to take it! Ask for the client to leave you a review. I have had clients outside of Thumbtack hire me just because I had outstanding Thumbtack reviews!

4. Three other marketing tools to use.

In the accounting industry, word of mouth is always a primary marketing tool. If you do a good job for clients, they will tell their friends and family. I have used other marketing tools such as Facebook and Google. Those tools combined with Thumbtack has been a successful mix so far.

5. Know your client.

Understanding your prospective clients is so important. The better we know them, the more effectively we can craft our initial message. While we can’t possibly know everyone on a personal level, a professional should be able to anticipate a prospects’ needs based on past success. If the initial message fails to communicate the potential for success, the client might pick another pro, so it’s critical we have a profile or persona for the ideal prospect.

What are your tips? Share them in the Using Thumbtack or post your comments below.

4 responses
Serge
Level 6

I would also add that we should be picky about our clients. Decide on who's your ideal client and focus on going after those leads. For example, my company specializes in renovating fountains, but we dont like building or installing them. Our ideal customer is someone who has a problem with and existing system and needs our help, not someone who wants a new fountain installed. So we pass on a lot of those leads. 

This sounds scary,  I know. It seems like its letting money walk out the door. But our policy is if its not a hell yeh, then it's a hell no. You have to love what you do if u want to do it for the long haul. Doing jobs you hate will just tear u down. So be picky with your clients!

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer

That's amazing advice, Serge! Gotta know — is that true for recurring clients too? If you've worked with a customer on their fountain before and they want you to work on something that's slightly outside of your target, do you refer them out or take it on to build good will? 

Serge
Level 6

That really depends on the nature of the work. Things like electrical, tile, and cement work, we refer to others who specialize in those fields. Our main goal is to make sure the client is taken care of, not necessarily that we get a particular job. If they have a vision for their fountain system or pond, and it needs items A, B, and C but we're only good at A, then B and C will awlays get reffered to someone who can make sure that our clients vision is fulfilled. Plus having good networks with other business is great because eventually, they will refer leds your way.

DefiningImagery
Level 9

1. We can't invest wisely when we have no idea how much the investment is.

2. You can't make a great impression with an auto bid that doesn't let you personally respond.

3. It doesn't matter how amazing your profile is if they never see it because they are overwhelmed by 15 bids.

4. They are offered dirt-cheap budget options that have no connection to what real-world pros charge for these jobs. So the referrals you get are for the same crazy-cheap prices, because their friends know what they paid.

5. We can't know our client when essential things like their phone number are kept from us. Or, when we're afraid of asking questions that they might answer but not hire us, or we'll be paying a fortune for their responses. We sit here praying that they only respond if they're ready to hire! I used to follow up 6 times to each request, with a set series of responses. I had to stop doing that because when they say, "Oh, maybe in a few months", we're charged!