Introducing the TackMaster program.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager
67 35 12.7K

tackmaster_blog_cover.jpg

Some of the best ideas for Thumbtack have come from pros. Now there’s a way to make sure we always hear about them: the TackMaster program.

TackMasters are a panel of outstanding pros who act as our ambassadors on the ground. They’re building community for local pros in their area by hosting meetups where pros can swap business tips, grow referral networks and make new friends.

But they’re not just building community — they’re helping us build Thumbtack itself.

At the pro meetups they host, TackMasters hear a lot about what’s working on Thumbtack, what’s not and how we can fix it. Every few months, they join a call with Thumbtack leaders to hash out exactly what we can do about that feedback.

In fact, we’re already working on updates to pricing and lead quality based on recent calls that have shed more light on what a lot of you have been telling us right here in the community.

TackMasters, we’re so excited to partner with you — if you’re on the discussion boards, post here and say hello!

Upcoming TackMaster events are posted in the community, so watch this space if you’d like to come meet pros near you or share your feedback about Thumbtack.

To learn more about joining the program, apply here or send me a private message at @DustiO.

35 responses
DJStevie
Level 12

@DustiO 

No disrespect  here, but I thought that's what the Community, Now Water Cooler, has been doing. Pros voicing their concerns as to what is and what isn't working, and supposedly those suggestions have been passed on for review and possible implementation, true?

For 7+ months, we've given suggestions on pricing and lead quality, among many other issues, and now they are just being worked on? Instead of giving us minor monthly changes to have more upset amongst the Pros, or Pros finding more issues with the system, why not give us all major changes at once? I'm sure that majority of us would have welcomed a thread or email blast stating "we are working on major changes pertaining to "pricing, lead quality, etc". This way we knew we are being heard and something is happening.

DJ Stevie 5-29-2019

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@DJStevie Yes, you are correct! We have the Community to hear your feedback and provide a place where you can learn from and be inspired by other pros - we now have similar efforts on the ground and in person with the TackMaster program. This is a positive - it doesn't take away from our efforts here, it adds to it.

We want to gather feedback from every channel possible, so that we can hear from as many pros as possible - this online community, as well as our in person community efforts are bringing pros' voices to the table and helping to shape the future of Thumbtack - so, thank you for continuing to participate here!

Hopefully, we will be in your area soon and can meet you in person!

ScottArcangel
Level 7

@DustiO 

I would really like to hear more about this program - I want to believe it will help shape Thumbtack to be a more profitable, transparent, and streamlined source for customers and pros.

Can you tell us more specifically what it is for?

DJStevie
Level 12

@DustiO 

My 2nd paragraph wasn't addressed

Also, like @ScottArcangel , I'd like to know more about this program and what it specifically is for

Thanks,

DJ Stevie 5-29-2019

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@DJStevie and @ScottArcangel I have sent you both more information about the TackMaster program!

pebowman
Level 5

Why not post it so we all can see it? If it's really m,eant to help us & our voices matter, we ALL should be able to see the progress. 

DJStevie
Level 12

Out of curiosity, who is my TackMaster in Martin and/or Palm Beach County, Florida?

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@pebowman All of our pro voices matter, that is what this program and our online community are here for Smiley Happy What are you referring to, as far as posting the progress? Are you wanting more information about the TackMaster program? If you can give me a little more context, I'd be happy to help you!

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@DJStevie We do not have anyone in your city yet! We are constantly growing this program, and as soon as we have someone in your area I will let you know! Smiley Happy

RooterProsLLC1
Level 5

I’m excited to see how well this is going to work as us Pro’s work hard for our money an when we pay for leads an customers don’t reply an or shopping around we shouldn’t get charged. I’m glad that our voices have been heard. 

Thank y’all for listening to us all as I see it this can only make thumbtack grow an become a better business for other business an we can grow together! 

TB
Level 5

I really hope this works for the PRO we go through a lot to get the right leads for what we're paying for.

ChefOfAllSeason
Level 10

I have read the link that explains the overview of this new program. My questions are:

What Industries are represented?

What is their schedule?

Where do they go?

Is it possible to contact them directly online?

Do they have concrete solutions?

Thank you.

ChefOfAllSeason
Level 10

@DustiO:

I am confused. We have been voicing our concerns for some time now and nothing has been done to solve our problems. 99% of the Pros in this entire community object to TT's decline of product nd service quality. We are constantly being told that you care about our needs, but nothing concrete has been done to make our user experience positive. What EXACTLY will these Tack Masters do besides smile and tell us they "understand our frustrations"?

ChefOfAllSeason
Level 10

We still have not heard anything concrete about the TackMaster program. What exactly is their agenda? Their itinerary? Schedule? How does it work?

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@ChefOfAllSeason Our TackMasters do not have a set schedule - they are Thumbtack pros and business owners, just like you. They are committed to hosting meet-ups twice yearly in their home towns. They plan and execute the meet-ups when it works for them - we don't schedule it for them.

Their agenda is to build community and connect with other like-minded, self-made individuals. While at these meet-ups, they are building their local community, but are also hearing what pros are saying, and bringing that feedback to Thumbtack at a quarterly conference call. They are not compensated in any way, and they are not employees of Thumbtack - they are just amazing pros who are committed to supporting and building up other small business owners, and to helping to shape the future of Thumbtack.

I have attended several meet-ups and most of them have been centered around networking, sharing tips and tricks, and building relationships. 

If you have any thoughts or ideas on meet-ups that you would like to see, please let us know. You can let me know where you live and if we have a TackMaster in your area, I can also connect you with them to share your ideas.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

ConnorsServices
Level 4

Good Day,

I am interested in linking up with other pros in the SE Michigan area for networking and feedback purposes. I have been successful using Thumbtack and would like to become more involved in progressing the program and helping others utilize it. 

How can we get information on hosting these meet ups for feedback purposes?

Matthew

Chrissy143831
Level 2

I would like more info and would Love to assist in the New York area if needed.  

KAlesandria_mua
Level 4

I would also like to have more info on the Tackmasters in NYC. I'm glad Thumbtack is doing more to improve the pro's experience with the platform. 

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@ConnorsServices @KAlesandria_mua @KAlesandria_mua Check out the link in the article to fill out an application - and click here for a little more info. Excited to hear from you!

samtheman
Level 4

I would also like to see more on the Trackmaster program

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@samtheman Check this out for more info, and if interested, click the apply here link in the post!

Rick69
Level 5

I would like to Know who will be the Tackmasters in Orlando FL.

BVDBILL
Level 5

Hi Dustio...I have been a Thumbtack pro for over 3 years...I'm not even sure how long. My industry is TV Mounting and Home Theater. I have one huge flaw with the price quoting system that I have brought to many, many people's attention but to no avail. I'm hoping this "new" Tackmaster system can address my concern. Here it is...Plain and simple, when I am sending a quote for TV Mounting I should have the exact same ability I have with all other quotes to send an "N/A", "Fixed Price", or "Hourly Rate". As it is...I must put in a Fixed Price. This forces me to put in $1 and then explain to the customer in my quote that they will not be charged a $1 and that it is a Thumbtack thing. Not very professional and I don't understand! Many of my quotes are for a FREE SITE SURVEY and yet, I have to put a dollar amount in. I would love to have the ability to use N/A and then complete my quote. Please provide some feedback as to when this will be implemented. Thank you, Bill Hughes/Bill's Video Design

djtwinspin
Level 4

Is this the same program that someone from Thumbtack called me about a few days ago telling me it's a free program but then goes on to tell me it requires me to buy $250 credits in advance first?  No I'm not kidding!  This is what I was told but I'm not sure if it was for this Tackmaster program or another new one you guys are trying to start.  Needless to say, I didn't sign up for whatever program they were trying to sign me up for.

Doaulin
Level 4

Hi @DustiO,

I'm interested in more information about the pro meetups.

Thanks,

Dony

xtiverio
Level 4

Thumbtack is making my business grow  rapidly great app you guy are awesome 

Rev
Level 4

Please call me8628881959

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Rev @xtiverio @Doaulin @djtwinspin Check this out for more information on what the TackMaster program is! And @djtwinspin to answer your question, no this is not the same thing Smiley Happy Hopefully, that link will clarify! If not, let me know!

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Rick69 We do not yet have a TackMaster in that area. You can keep your eyes peeled in the community if we find one!

Doaulin
Level 4

@DustiO thank you for your response. I sign up for yesterday. Hope to hear from y'all soon!

texas
Level 4

Who is the taskmaster for Austin, Tx

Mommy123cat
Level 3

Interested as well to attend a meeting or collect more info on this new change. As a business owner I spend hundreds of dollars a week on advertising.  Being informed is the best way for us all to make an aducated decision on how we spend our money. Located in North Eastern Pa

Bercegeay
Level 4

Please let me know if I can be the Taskmaster of Evansville Indiana

phillock
Level 3

Is there on in the Phoenix Arizona Area?

haywoodk9coach
Level 1

I made a suggestion about targeting several times, because I was throwing money away.  I met with one of your representatives when you were here in the Washington DC area... NO RESULTS!   "Let me take it back to my team" Give me someone who can make changes.

About the Author
I've been a mobile DJ/MC for 29 years this year. Very proud to say that I turned a hobby into a successful business. I've been a part of many organizations, and played at many weddings through the years, but one very dear to me is being a regular DJ for the Tim Tebow Foundation "Night To Shine". I have my parents and best friend, Tommy who was a monsignor and part of the God Squad who had a weekly radio show on Long Island, to thank for encouraging me to pursue my dream of being a DJ. Even though they aren't here to see me be a part of a high profile event, I know that all 3 are looking down at me, smiling proudly.