There are 3 kinds of leads on Thumbtack.

Community Manager TaylorS
Community Manager
15 5 3,262

WomenLookingatPhone.jpg

First, let’s start with a few definitions, just to make sure we’re all on the same page.

Search results: If you’re a pro on Thumbtack, you show up in customer search results. Customers come to Thumbtack, tell us their zip code and what kind of service they need, then they get a list of pros they can filter and contact.

Lead: A customer who contacts you.

Inbox: Where you go to see the customers who have contacted you.

Jobs tab: A list of customers who have already contacted a pro. After they contact one pro, all their job details go to the Jobs tab. You can tell customers you find there that you’re interested in their job, in case the first pro falls through.

Promoting your business: Instead of choosing which leads to accept as they come in, you tell us what kinds of leads you want ahead of time. We give you a rank boost in search results for those jobs plus a 20% discount. You pay automatically as you get them.

Clear? Great. Now let’s dig in to the different kinds of leads you can get on Thumbtack:

Promoted lead

Non-promoted lead

Jobs tab opportunity

What is it

• Leads you told us you want.
  • Leads we’re not sure you want.
  • Leads you might be able to pick up if another pro can’t do the job.

Ok, but what is it really

• When you promote your business, you tell us to only promote you for leads within 10 miles, or only for house cleaning, or only in the mornings, etc.
  • A promoted lead will always fit squarely within those requirements.
  • A customer who doesn’t quite fit your preferences.
  • Say you’re a florist and are only promoting your business for weddings. You could get a non-promoted lead for a baby shower. We don’t know if you want that lead, so you can pay for it or decline it. 
  • All customers in the Jobs tab have already contacted at least one pro.
  • You can look through those customers on the Jobs tab and tell them you’re interested. If they respond, you’ll see their response in your Inbox.

When you pay

• When the customer contacts you.
  • After you read the job details and accept the lead.
  • When the customer contacts you back.

How much it costs

• 20% off
  • Full price
  • Full price

Why you want it

• The customer picks you and they’re an ideal fit for your preferences.
  • Best way to get more of the customers you want.
  • 20% discount.
  • Rank boost in customer search results
  • This customer picked you. Now you can decide if you want that lead since it’s outside of your preferences.
  • So if you usually only take leads within 10 miles, but you get one 20 miles away for a really big job, you can choose to make an exception or not.
  • Good way to pick up more work if you’re not getting enough promoted or non-promoted leads.

Why you don’t want it

• You shouldn’t promote if you’re all booked up and don’t need more work.
  • You can’t depend on these leads. And they may not be a great fit for your business.
  • And if you choose to not promote your business at all, you’ll get fewer leads.
  • These customers have already contacted another pro, so your chances of getting hired are lower.

What to do if you don’t like it

• Go to your preferences in the Services tab and make some adjustments — make sure you’re only getting auto-charged for leads you are definitely ok paying for.
  • You can also pause promoting at any time — like when you’re all booked up or going on vacation.
  • Always decline the leads you don’t want — we’ll learn what you don’t want and show you lower in search results for those kinds of jobs.
  • When you get leads you like, promote your business for those kinds of leads to keep them coming.
  • Skip it. Focus on the main way customers find pros: through search results.
  • Promote your business to rank better in search results.

How do you control it

• You can adjust your preferences here. We recommend starting small then expanding your preferences over time as you want more business.
  • You can also change your weekly budget so you never spend more than you’re comfortable with.
  • You choose which leads you want or don’t want to pay for.
  • You can also change your budget so you never spend more than you intend to.
  • You choose which customers you’re interested in.
  • You can also change your budget so you never pay more than you’re comfortable with in a week.

5 responses
Moderator Meckell

@carlafinn I'm more than happy to look into this! Go ahead and send me a private message with the name of the customer Smiley Happy 

ImageStreets
Level 4

Great Info.. I'm experienced at what I do However I'm just now using my talents as a business. So THANKS.

JoyofMovement
Level 5

Being promoted on Thumbtack has been working well for me the past few months! I have two new clients through Thumbtack, and am now making more than I was with previous clients! I have a business as an in-home personal trainer, and have found most of my current clients through Thumbtack. Several of my clients have been with me for over a year! Thank you, Thumbtack!

Moderator Kameron

@JoyofMovement this is so great to hear! Thank you for sharing, and keep up the awesome work!

Tarc-Architect
Level 1

Great insight into the process. Many thanks!!!