Video: Paying for Leads on Thumbtack

Community Manager TaylorS
Community Manager
1 23 2,278

Though the price of each lead on Thumbtack varies, how you pay for those leads is the same from job to job – you only pay for new leads, or new customers who have already checked out your profile and want to talk. Let’s dive into more on what and when you pay Thumbtack.

23 responses
DJStevie
Level 11

@TaylorS 

I don't know about any other Pros, but I never receive a message from a Job Poster. Is this something new?

As for charges, being discussed now in another thread is having us see lead cost ahead of time before being charged. Right now, we feel that we are in the dark until we get a so called "lead." Perhaps that name should be changed, as a lead should be an interested "customer", not someone who is click happy.

And in this video, she mentioned our credit cards being charged once per week. Is this true? (At one time, we were being charged once per week.) Or is Thumbtack still charging for every $50 usage as it has been for months now?

DJ Stevie 5-29-2019

Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie receiving a message from a customer definitely isn't new. When a customer reaches out or responds to your quote, it will be in the Thumbtack messenger. Charges can vary depending on your payment history. You'll either be charged weekly on Sunday's or for each lead separately. This article here has more info on that! 

DJStevie
Level 11

@Meckell 

Back in January I posted a thread about credit card charges. You chimed in and said charges will be made for $50+ usage or once per week, whatever came first, true? Now you tell me it depends on payment history. Please clarify.

Thank you

DJ Stevie 5-29-2019

Screenshot_2019-05-29 Credit Card charges.png

Moderator Kameron

@DJStevie Currently, we charge your card weekly - every Sunday evening. If you end up spending more than $50 before the end of the week, we’ll charge your card at that point as well. If you’ve spent a total of $1000 or more in your time with Thumbtack, then you’ll be charged weekly as opposed to each lead separately. I think this Help Center article will help clarify: Charges.

bonnie_bill
Level 8
I am only going to buy something when it is simple & I know "how much" it costs, can decide "if" I want to buy it, and know when & how I have to "pay" for it. Other than that I will pass 100% of the time.
Rcr2018
Level 4

I've spent well over $1,000 with Thumbtack, but my credit card is still charged multiple times a week instead of once weekly. Please advise.

VinK
Level 1

Exactly.

Problem is in paying for a communication that may be nothing more than a clarification of was needed as a result of Thumbtacks weak/poor method of getting project clarity.

Prospects don't often know exactly what they want or need without a service provider's interaction. I could help a prospect better understand their options and true needs only to have them reframe what they thought they were looking for and end up wanting something I don't do.

I've just contributed to a better user experince for Thumbtack's customer and I get to pay for that?!? Are you kidding me?

spencespak
Level 4

i should not be charged for leads and then don't get the job 

Moderator Meckell

Happy to clarify @Rcr2018. You're charged once a week on Sunday's if you're spending less than $50. Once you've spent $50 on leads for the week, your card will be charged. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

DJStevie
Level 11

@Kameron 

I have spent more than $1,000 in my time with Thumbtack. So what you are saying is that the charges will be once per week?

DJ Stevie 5-30-2019

Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie you will be charged once a week only if you're spending less than $50 that week. You can be charged throughout the week or multiple times in a week if you're spending $50. For example, say you hit $50 on a Wednesday, you will be charged right then. 

jpmcdunn
Level 5

It must be Thursday, because Thumbtack has changed the way they do business again, despite the fact that every time I talk to them, they say they are not going to change the way they do business again.

When I started in business, lead cost about $3.50 and I got plenty of them over my phone.  I was securing business like crazy.  Then...slowly, they started raising their prices, and making it harder and harder to do business with them.  

With this new system, if I don't jump and down and say the magic word, they charge me for virtually nothing.  

Thumbtack as gone from the greatest business tool I had to the worst business tool I have.  

DJStevie
Level 11

@Meckell 

Thanks, but it contradicts what @Kameron told me. Please read previous comment by him. I was just trying to find out because I know that I've said it numerous of times, being charged $50 is difficult to budget weekly.  If I was to be charged, as in the past, on a weekly basis, it's not a problem. Whereas, I have to budget anytime I get charged(and that is very rare at the moment because of various reasons)

Please go back to weekly charges!!!

DJ Stevie 5-30-2019

Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie Kameron and I are indeed aligned on this. He told you, we charge your card weekly - every Sunday evening. If you end up spending more than $50 before the end of the week, we’ll charge your card at that point as well. Which is correct. Thank you for your thoughts about this! 

FirstStopTech
Level 5

I saw a comment get three kudos that complained about paying for leads and not getting the job.

I'd like to suggest a different approach.

Poor business people should get charged for losing bids as long as SOMEBODY on thumbtack gets the bid.

If you get window shoppers who never end up paying Thumbtack's vendors, that ends up making Thumbtack costly and useless.

Uncompetitive businesses should pay the fee for leads. It's a slap on teh wrist for trying to rip off Thumbtack's paying customers.

Businesses with good prices should recoup the costs of leads just fine. 

The bad businesses eventually stop using Thumbtack because they only lose money. This leaves behind good businesses that help Thumbtack's reputation as a good place to find vendors with good quality and good prices.

The current model encourages vendors to inflate their prices to pay for the leads that end up buying AND the window shoppers. This gives thumbtack higher prices than teh same vendors charge elsewhere. Does that make Thumbtack look like a good place to shop?

Seriously, Thumbtack, stop charging vendors for ghosts. If they don't buy, vendors shouldn't pay. If they do buy, you collect from everyone who tried. Long term, this should be a more profitable business model for you.

Randizzle55
Level 5

@Meckell You're intentionally avoiding the part of Kameron's comment that we are asking about! Why!? He said, "If you’ve spent a total of $1000 or more in your time with Thumbtack, then you’ll be charged weekly as opposed to each lead separately." Since we cannot tag him directly, can you have HIM elaborate on that? Ihave spent well over $1000 on leads through TT, so why do I continue to be charge for $50+ in leads every other day.

If you take our money every week instead of every day, we may see the profits clearer and me more likelyto use the platform more often, instead of constantly bashingit like I see so many doing on all of your social media pages.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Randizzle55 @DJStevie @Rcr2018 If you check out the article that both @Kameron and @Meckell posted, you will see the information you are asking for. Here is a screenshot as well.Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 4.13.08 PM.png

Randizzle55
Level 5

@DustiO  yeah they explained that and I read the article. Still not clear. It says if you spend more than $1000 on leads you’re only charged once per week! Then it says “*oh we lied* we’re going to charge your for every $50 you spend!” MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! If you know I have ontime payments all the time and have spent thousands on leads, DO NOT CHARGE ME EVERY DAY! Seeing those charges every day really makes me question if it’s worth it. Would be totally different to see a weekly charge and be able to compare it to he jobs I won throughout the week. 

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Randizzle55 I can definitely appreciate your view on this! Many of our pros don't spend more than that and will only see one charge, but for our pros who spend more, I can see how this would be a little more confusing. I know it's not ideal for you, but you can always go to your Payments section and look at your payment summary for the past week and get your total there. I hope this helps and thank you for the feedback! 

bonnie_bill
Level 8
Trying to decide what makes it worth it? We find it difficult to believe anyone really does business this way. Sorry but that is how we see it.
DJStevie
Level 11

@Randizzle55 

I'm with you. It IS very misleading!

DJ Stevie 5-31-2019

Randizzle55
Level 5

@bonnie_bill what are you referring to?

bonnie_bill
Level 8
@Randizzle55, It just seems so difficult to decide what leads to accept or respond to as we do not know the pricing. I have no idea how all of the features of the model works. The payment terms are so confusing. Put it all together and I find it so hard to do business it has been easier for us just to pass.