Why don't you have more reviews?

Thumbtack Writer PhilippaB
Thumbtack Writer
2 5 103

5StarReviews_ProCommunity.jpg

Yes, asking for reviews can be awkward. But it makes all the difference for your business.

“Every Thumbtack client I’ve brought in in the last two years said they picked me because of my reviews,” says personal trainer Elijah Bowie.

If your profile has less than 10 solid reviews, you’ve got work to do. Here’s how pros on Thumbtack keep up their 5-star ratings.

Work with what you’ve got.

Thumbtack lets you import reviews from Facebook. You can also send a direct link to your past customers and ask them to help you get a head start. More on that here.

“When I signed up on Thumbtack I reached out to former clients and asked if I could import their reviews from other sites onto my Thumbtack profile. Having a solid base of reviews when you first start helps get your foot in the door. Now, most of my clients are happy to write me a review and I have a lot more flexibility about the jobs I take because of it.” —Mark Simpson of Mark Simpson Photography in Pittsburgh, PA

Go above and beyond.

Make sure you and your customer have the same expectations — then deliver.

“Do your job very, very well. Provide quality services, be friendly and personable every time you meet, go above and beyond the client’s expectations. Remember that you’re the professional and you have the expertise, you owe it to your business and your client to do the best job you can. I get to watch my clients find love for music every day. That’s what I aim for and what I love. Bring that passion into what you do and people won’t hesitate to write you a good review.” —Will Armstrong of Will You Learn in New York, NY

Ask when the time is right.

Top Pros say the best time to ask for a review is just after a job well done.

“I always personalize my follow-up message based on my time with the customer. It might say something like, ‘I hope everything was great, you deserve the best, you were stunning, I loved meeting your family. Would you mind really quick adding your experience as a review?’ You want to remind the client of the positive experience you’ve shared together. Every little bit counts.” —Marisa Warren of Velvet Beauty in Austin, TX

Learn from the good and the bad.

You won’t always get 5-star reviews. But even lukewarm ratings can be good for your business.

“Only one woman ever gave me a 4.5-star review, so I asked her how I could improve. She said it was because she didn’t want to travel to me for the lesson. It turns out it wasn’t even about my coaching. But it’s important to know if someone isn’t happy with your work and to learn from that. If someone takes one lesson from you and then stops, ask yourself why.” — Fred Sperber of USPTA Certified Tennis Instructor in Emeryville, CA

Every once in a while you might get a really bad review — 1 or 2 stars. Remember: It happens to everyone. Think of it as an unusual chance to market yourself.

How do you get reviews? Tell us in the comments or start a thread of your own.

5 responses
Moderator Meckell

@JSGDS you have 197 reviews, which is amazing! What are some strategies that work for you? Do you have any additional tips to add? 

Daniel_O
Level 6

I just be friendly and do my job well. I usually wait until after they've finished with their course before asking for a review. Occasionally I'll ask after the first session, which is what I often did when new to thumbtack, but now that I have a solid base of reviews, I prefer to wait until we have more time together for them to base their review on.

It also helps to be really, really good at what you do. And also be really friendly and personable. Luckily, these things come very easy to me - I am friends with several of my former students, and some of them are coming to my wedding.

JSGDS
Level 6

So you just provided a customer with a quick response, a great price, and provided great service; you're going to get a 5 star review, right..... WRONG!

As we all know reviews are the best way to see your business thrive or fail.  Getting reviews should be as important to you as getting the job.  Reviews will be the reason you win jobs, even if you're not the lowest bid, piece of mind goes a long way for customers, they want to know that they're getting the best from the best.  There is an art to obtaining reviews and I urge you all to find what works for you and your business.  But one thing is for sure, if you don't ask you are WAY less likely to receive. 

Here's a few things that worked for us...

Timing is everything!!-  (as stated in above article) You never ask for a review before you do a 5 star job.  At the end of every one of my jobs I ask my customers if they have any other questions or if there's any thing else I can help them with, and most of the time they say "nope, you did a great job,"  I then say "well if you could leave me some feedback and let others know about your experience I would really appreciate it."  

The little extras!!-  I'm sure you do a lot of little things for customers that you could bill for but don't, take one of these little things and do it for a review.  I'll usually do it and just tell the customer, "I did (such and such) I'm not going to bill you because you needed it, but if you could leave me some feedback I'd greatly appreciate it."  You want customers to want to do something extra for you!!

Turn down tips!!- now for this one some of you are probably thinking "heck no" but any time a customer offers me cash tip I all ways say "you don't need to do that, id rather you leave me some feedback"  I'm telling you 98/100 times the customer will say "Ill do both"  its a great way to let them know how important the review is for you.  And honestly a review or a reference is worth way more than  a $20 tip in the long run.

That's just a few things we do that works for us but find the right formula that works for you and your business!  Don't be afraid to try different things and see what you get more of a response from, trust me you will be glad you did.   Good Luck All!

P.S.

thanks for the tag @Meckell and thanks for the article @PhilippaB!  Sorry I haven't been more active on here lately but business has been good Smiley Happy  Thank you TT!! 

Daniel_O
Level 6

"But one thing is for sure, if you don't ask you are WAY less likely to receive."

This is very true. In the past, on another tutoring website, I would almost never ask for reviews, and instead just hope that people would write reviews; it rarely happened. I had hundreds of five-star ratings, but very few written reviews. I was somewhat shy about asking for reviews - not anymore. 

JamesM
Level 1

Can you integrate with our website or FB page in a way that allows reviews to be shared? For instance, I have lots of clients that leave reviews, but they only want to leave one review, not one for each site I'm on. Can you somehow integrate all of that?