Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
cranichik
Level 8

Re: April's product roundup

@Meckell So I checked out the demo to see where I place. I am a few pages in, UNDER a person who has 1 year on TT, no hires and no reviews!! Not to mention all the other people with less time, stars, and reviews. I have 6 years , 5 stars, and 11 reviews. Can someone at TT explain this logic?? This is why I get more business from other sources.

jcp
Level 9

Yesterday I was charged $26.85 for a promoted lead - this customer contact 13 total pros. That is $350 automatic profit for TT. Each time a customer contacts another pro - it’s a mathematical fact it reduces our odds of being booked or followed up. We provide all the information a customer can review about our services and our rate, etc. so why is it acceptable - or necessary - that this customer is allowed to contact 13 pros? These are the kind of things that TT allows that shows they are not “working” on our behalf - but on their own behalf. The only reason this can be acceptable is so TT can profit because it is totally unnecessary to allow a customer to contact 13 pros. I am so upset seeing this today. I want to see this changed soon as I am sure many others feel the same.
MLCC
Level 6

I could not agree with you more! This is one of the reasons we grow increasingly more frustrated. 

I want to believe Thumbtack is a partner with its Pros and wants things to be "fair." This doesn't send that message.

It's disheartening when we see Thumbtack's profit and we know a client can only hire one person. In your example, the other 12 are paying crazy high prices for nothing. That was a change made a couple of years ago about the time they were developing "Instant Match." We would be charged automatically for certain leads and Thumbtack went from only 5 Pros getting to offer to 15!!!! Fifteen!!

You're prices went up and the competition got stiffer. We pay more, get hired less, and Thumbtack gets a lot more money.

Why? I was told because the Customer wanted more Pros to choose from. It was a response to the Customers' needs. Smiley Sad

OK...

If they do, they do. I love serving the Cusotmer. But how is raising the prices and increasing the competition helping our business. For me, it isn't. You?

It's important to me that this message board be about making great changes so everyone feels good about the platform and the service. I'm not interested in simply complaining. That's never the point. The point is to make things better.

I believe there's a cost to doing business, but wow, this is terribly frustrating to watch changes happen that hurt us...and yet we're told Thumbtack wants to help us.

It's really unfortunate.

Can we please have a discussion about some specific things that will actaully help Pros and still allow Thumbtack to also succeed in their business?

I would doubt that many Pros would object to finding a solution that works for everyone, including Thumbtack.

But this current set up with the way leads work, how you charge, and WHAT you charge is nothing less that outrageous and ridiculous and very definitely, not "fair."

I mentioned in another post I'd like to see Thumbtack consider thinking of their Pros as their customers. They are running their business like we are. The people who pay us are our customers.

Would that not be true of Thumbtack's business? Since we pay them for their service, aren't we their customers?

I don't really feel like their customer. I want to give Thumbtack the benefit of the doubt of course, but honestly, I feel taken advantage of in some ways. It's discouraging.

Some things to consider and hopefully discuss further with people who can make the decisions within your company.

Thank you for providing a place for us to share our concerns and feedback and I'll thank you in advance for taking action based on the feedback to provide a new solution that works for more of us.

jcp
Level 9

So well put @MLCC. I’ve been in business 20 years. I was highly successful 2015-2016 when first starting with TT. I don’t want to complain - I want to use this platform to to help. It’s so frustrating to listen to customer support justify to me that 13 pros contacted is fair. But your right - if TT thinks it’s fair then why the higher rate and increased competition? It is insulting that TT thinks explaining to me that it’s better now. Paying $26 for a lead that contacts 13 pros. Oh - and that’s the discount rate because I was on promote. A partnership is an arrangement to advance our interests. And my monthly numbers do not reflect that. TT made $350 on one customers search and I made $250 profit the entire month of April. Let Marco tell me that is a partnership. When one side of the partnership is profiting so much on each lead. There is no denying because I did have two successful years. When a system changes and the outcome of what was once successful is no longer happening - and you implement all the tools that are supposed to help you maintain that success - but it still doesn’t work - something is wrong. I feel pretty confident that many pros feel the same.

I also believe in the cost of doing business. I do expect to pay for that. However, when I had an average of $80 a month in 2015-2016 with a lot of success and now to $200-250 a month with minimal success...... numbers don’t lie. How does Marco think this is right? How about taking over my account for a month Marco? You respond to my leads as a test. Get an insight as a Pro day to day. After 30 days you look at the numbers and the responses and the results and then assess the entire 30 days as a videographer and photographer. I have three categories of services. THREE. I got three leads in my videographer category in a four week period. Zero hires. These numbers are disappointing. Maybe if I just joined TT a few months ago I wouldn’t see it the way I do. But for two years straight I had success and then dropped off 100%. So - it’s not me.
Highlighted
MLCC
Level 6

Just a thought...if Thumbtack wants to send out lots of Pros to a Customer to choose among the many (because Customers were asking for more options a couple of years ago)...how about charging the Pro who gets hired and letting the others quote for free? Once you're hired, you pay. Until then, you work really hard to get the job. Still messaging clients and working for that "sale."

That way those of us, the other 12 in your example, aren't wasting money on leads that will go no where.

I know another site that does this...and I prefer it actually. You get to communciate to your heart's content, unless you're hired and you pay for the lead. Nice!

Just a thought...

0 Kudos
GrampysMagic
Level 7

One thing I would like to see changed is that when a customer does indeed respond and TT takes thier fee, the Pro should be givin the clients phone number (email address would be nice too) so that we have another option to contact the them.  WE NEED THIS INFO!!!!  Right now the only way we have to contact them, even after being CHARGED for the lead response, is via the TT platform and that sucks.   

Case in point, I had a client respond to my bid with a generic/canned "Great, what's next" response.  TT took thier fee.  I messaged them the info and never heard back after sending several messages.  Had I a phone number, I would have probably booked the gig.  I disputed this to TT that I felt I was trolled. To my surprise they did in fact refund the fee.  I do thank them for that. 

So since we are PAYING for the initial lead responses and it is up to US to close....give us ALL the info we need to do so.

0 Kudos
GrampysMagic
Level 7

TT needs to fix the broken app for the Apple iPod Touch.  It use to work great, but the latest updates will NOT RUN on the iPod anymore.  Everyone does not have an iPhone and I am very upset this does not work anymore!!!

0 Kudos