results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Keeping you in the (feedback) loop: May edition

Welcome to the first monthly feedback community post. We heard we could do a better job updating you on the status of all the great feedback you give us. We want you to know we’re listening to you, and we’re working hard to turn many of your ideas into new product features.

So below you'll find updates on some of the most popular and insightful feedback we've been hearing. Please keep in mind that timelines may shift as we learn more about how to improve our product, ideas, projects.

Be sure to check out the monthly product roundup to see exactly when product changes are made. 

Feedback webinar deck.png

Don't see your feedback on this list? That doesn't mean we aren't working on it. Some changes we’re working on aren't quite ready to share yet.

We'll tell you about what’s happening next soon. And if you have other ideas, be sure to reply below to share your suggestion. You might even see your suggestion featured in a future post!

What you’ve told us you want:

1. More customer phone numbers

We hear you loud and clear. Having a customer’s phone number can help you close the job. Depending on the customer, we’ve found some prefer other forms of communication (messaging through Thumbtack or text) before giving out their phone number. We’re looking into possible solutions to turn more leads into jobs as part of our commitment to improve your experience. One possible solution? Asking customers to provide a phone number when it’s the right next step.

We’re also investing time in setting better customer expectations. Mainly, that means helping customers understand what to expect next in their hiring journey (and giving them a few friendly nudges on what steps to take next).

Here’s one example: planning is already underway for customers who are looking to book time with a pro in services where that’s the clear next step. When contacting a pro in these services, customers are being asked to provide a phone number.

This and other solutions are being explored to improve lead quality beyond providing phone numbers.

1. The ability to sort jobs by distance (in the Jobs tab)

We heard you! You said that you wanted to waste less time searching for potential jobs in the Jobs tab. We’ve added a radius filter so you can select the distance that makes sense for you.

1.  More control over how far customers travel to me for jobs

Our goal is to understand all the factors pros consider to determine whether they want a job. Many pros have found customers who live farther out won't hire them, so they’re not as interested in those jobs. Now we’re working on giving you more control over the leads you get, including which customers travel to you.

1. Allow reviews only if the customer hired you

We understand it can be frustrating to receive a review when you weren’t even hired. We want to allow customers to share their thoughts on their experience with a pro, even if they decide to go a different direction. Their experience is still valid and might be useful for future customers to know.

Just remember, customers can’t leave a review if they don’t have a conversation with you. Once you have a conversation and you’ve started interacting, then they can leave a review. With that, we don't always know when pros actually get hired by customers. That’s something we’re working towards and will also tie into when customers will be able to leave reviews in the future.

1. Read receipts (so you know when customers view your messages)

We want to give you clear signals once a customer responds to you. In the past, you used to know when a customer viewed your quote on Thumbtack. But Thumbtack has changed a lot since then. We want you to focus on the customers you are having conversations with.

While you can still send a quote to a customer (from the Jobs tab), the customers with the most potential are the ones who contact you or reply to your quote. Those customers are in your Inbox.

There are multiple ways to provide clearer signals once a customer has responded, and a "read receipt" is one option we're considering.

1. The option to accept a previously declined lead

Sometimes declining a lead can feel like a missed opportunity, especially if you realize later you’re actually interested in the lead you just declined. Once a lead is declined the customer is immediately notified you are not available and we begin introducing them to other pros. To re-engage with that customer once they’ve been told you’re not available can lead to a confusing experience for the customer.

If you are looking to fill in your calendar with canceled bookings, you can use the Jobs tab to try to fill in those times.

While we’re not directly working on the ability to re-engage with declined leads, we are working on improving the calendar so it’s easier for you to keep your calendar up to date. This will help you get matched with more leads for the times you’re available and you’ll be less likely to decline leads for availability reasons. Look out for calendar improvements this Summer.

1. Don’t charge when customers are unresponsive

Never hearing back from a customer can be discouraging and we understand how those leads can feel frustrating. We're working on this one — we know it's important to you and we want to get it right. While we can't share specific details on how we're making improvements, we hope to share more news on this soon.

In the meantime, we encourage you to brush up on our tips for crafting a great response to customers. They’re much more likely to respond when you send a great response. And no, “call me” doesn’t cut it.

30 responses
TheLast10SF
Level 7

Re: Keeping you in the (feedback) loop: May edition

Nice post, thank you @DustiO !

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@TheLast10SF This was a huge team effort, I will pass this along to them. Thanks! 

Highlighted
HansenJC
Level 10

@DustiO  Thanks for the post.

Take a look at #2. Compare it to what was requested. Check with development to be sure they achieved what the written specifications laid out for them to accomplish.

In my opinion, either their specs were written poorly or the people who translated our requests (suggestions) missed the mark. When we asked for a distance filter, we did not ask for sorting. Yes the program must first sort the data but sorting is an internal requirement. What I need is a filter that stays in place the same at all time until I choose to change the setting for that filter.

Here is what happens now (with this change implimented) I see a job come to me in my email way too far away to be profitable. So I go into my jobs tab and see that the setting for the filter is at 150 miles. I know that is not the way I left it the last time that I logged into Thumbtack. So I change the setting to a pretty reasonable distance of 25 miles. That is a circle with a radius of 25 miles and an area of 1,962 square miles of heavily populated chicago metro area. That is how I had it set the last time I was on my computer checking the Jobs tab. Thumbtack should have a few jobs to look at in the jobs tab in an area as large as 1,962 square miles. Nothing there this morning so maybe I will wait till this evening. So I log out of Thumbtack and return in the evening to see what may have turned up. And again I get jobs appearing in the Jobs tab from three other states around Illinois. They were about 100+ miles away. But I left the filter on 25 miles right? Did the program mess up? Or am I on a different planet? I would have surely thought that the 25 mile filter would stay set at 25 miles for the few hours I was away from the computer. Now I am sad because thumbtack just closed that programming project as complete.

Was it my fault because I was not specific about how I wanted that distance filter to work? Must we wait another several months and build up a large number of requests for this project to get back onto the boards in development? Please tell me they can fix this. Please tell me that they wants to fix this. Please don't tell me that this is actually what everyone other than me wanted and everyone else is happy with it this way.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Hankster
Level 10

@DustiOWhile it's nice to to sort jobs by distance in the Jobs tab how about improving this feature even better? Have a radio button feature instead of the drop down that is currently available. Then once we set the mileage radius give us the option to save the change. Then the next time we go to the Jobs tab the distance that we saved is what we'll see in the Jobs tab. Seems like a simple fix to me.

Hankster 6/3/19

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Hankster @HansenJC  Thank you both for the feedback on the distance filter - you both had the same thought - great minds think alike! I will take this back to the team - whenever there is an update implemented we watch very closely for feedback on that update. As always, your insight is much appreciated!

Hankster
Level 10

@DustiO'Read receipts (so you know when customers view your messages)'. This feature should have never gone away to begin with. Same with the feature that a lead has viewed my profile. I can focus just fine on leads I'm already having conversations with (if I get ANY leads to have a conversation with. Not getting any leads of late) along with seeing that notification that a lead has viewed my quote along with my follow up responses I send to them. No offense but I don't need Thumbtack to determine what's best for me. I should be able to determine that. I know how my business runs & how much I can handle. 

Thanks,

Hankster 6/3/19

DJStevie
Level 12

@Hankster
Very well said. I wasn't going to comment in this thread for various reasons, but decided to reply to your comment.
I am in agreement with you. The road receipts was a feature that shouldn't have been taken away, along with who viewed our profiles. Providing viewed numbers in out Insights isn't helpful. We need brought back what was successful for us, not to continue to bring us down.
Also in agreement with you in that we need to determine who is a best for us, and who is a good fit for us.
I also haven't had any coversations in weeks with anyone. It's more one sided conversations, from my end.
I've given many suggestions for improvements, but never see them, and it's been 7+ months and counting. @Hankster, I haven't seen any of your excellent suggestions either.
Seems we are forgotten, even though we get told otherwise.
DJ Stevie 6-5-2019
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Keeping you in the (feedback) loop: Nobody likes a pedant but I must.

@DustiONobody likes a pedant but I must. Let's dive deep into #1:

1. More customer phone numbers

Did the suggestions from Pros actually ask for more? Or did we ask for phone numbers? I am unsure that there were any qualifiers that were written into the requests.

"Having a customer’s phone number can help you close the job." And not having the customers phone number makes us really really want to pass. But if we are on Promote, there is no choice. The risk of being ghosted is enormous when there is no phone number. So let them ghost Thumbtack at the point at which there is no harm to anyone. Think of it: There will be NO HARM TO ANYONE when the ghost dissapears before they post the request without a phone number. Please. Just let them go quietly.

"Depending on the customer, we’ve found some prefer other forms of communication (messaging through Thumbtack or text) before giving out their phone number." Let's pars this statement. It is actually two very different types of customers. If they wish to communicate through Thumbtack, they are doing this in order to maintain a bit of privacy. And if they wish to text? Aren't they texting on the same smart phone that has the same phone number that we would dial to speak to the human on the other end of the line? Text IS an acceptable alternative to Messages through Thumbtack. (Yes, I am being a pedant.) Are you assuming that customers are using a masked phone number?

"We’re looking into possible solutions to turn more leads into jobs as part of our commitment to improve your experience." Just stop looking. You will find it when we can talk by voice with the customers. This request for phone numbers was not a request for you to look at alternatives to giving us phone numbers. Just decide. Yes or no. No alternative to this request. Take the road less traveled and give us what we are asking for.

"One possible solution? Asking customers to provide a phone number when it’s the right next step." Is Thumbtack ready? Tell us when TT thinks the right next step is. TT already makes us pay when the customer presses their thumb on the "I'd Like to schedule a phone call". Every time they press the button is the right next step for giving us a phone number so we actually can call them. 

"We’re also investing time in setting better customer expectations." Please show us that investment.

"Mainly, that means helping customers understand what to expect next in their hiring journey (and giving them a few friendly nudges on what steps to take next)." Please show us that investment.

"Here’s one example: planning is already underway for customers who are looking to book time with a pro in services where that’s the clear next step. When contacting a pro in these services, customers are being asked to provide a phone number." The feedback loop should include some reasonable projections for the planning phase of this project.  1-3 months?  4-6 months?  6 months to a year? Please nail down this feedback to more than vague generalities. Some of us know project management. Go ahead and spill it.

"This and other solutions are being explored to improve lead quality beyond providing phone numbers." One more time. The request was for phone numbers. We did not ask for anything more than phone numbers with this request. Do not put the brakes on because there is a dream of the perfect solution. Just give us phone numbers.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Hankster
Level 10

Re: Keeping you in the (feedback) loop: Nobody likes a pedant but I must.

@DustiO

I've made this suggestion I don’t know how many times on several different posts here in the Community over the last several months & even to a supervisor named Chris back in December of 2018. Let's separate the 'tire kickers' from the leads actually looking to hire. I mean honestly there are only two options when I'm looking for someone to perform work for me. I want to see what the service costs. Then once the price, reviews, profile, etc. meets my satisfaction then I'm ready to hire that company. Let's have 2 radio buttons. The first can read 'I'm looking to hire'. The other can read 'Not looking to hire yet. I'm just looking to see what this service costs’. If the lead is looking to hire & then decide to reach out using a conversation starter question, then that to me IS the next step & we should be provided that leads contact information. We're being charged anyway, right? So, what's the big deal (or I should say ALWAYS has been the big deal) with being able to provide the leads information at that point in the request process? Speaking of conversation starter questions there are too many in my opinion. If Promote is being used many of their questions should already be answered such as my price & availability. Two of the biggest questions right there are already answered without having a need to use a conversation starter question when they are looking at my profile. This is the only conversation starter question that would be needed after the leads done their due diligence in reviewing prices, profiles, etc. & have narrowed down their choices on who they are looking to hire: 

“I've read your profile & your reviews. I really like what I’ve read. Your reviews are awesome! I would love to speak to you further about my event. Please call me at (insert phone number here) or e-mail me at (insert e-mail address here). Thank you”. 

Then once we agree on a date & time to meet then I can address any questions & concerns at our meeting.

This seems to me like a simple enough process to implement. Let’s get it done already!

Thanks for listening!

Hankster 6/6/19