Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
vasy
Level 5

Re: Two exciting updates to the Top Pro program

I think  a background check should be mandatory to open any Thumbtack profile, but it is good news that at least will be a criteria to become a top pro.

I saw many times someone with no hires, no reviews and no background check at the top of the list while top pros with a lot of 5 star reviews, hires and background check are at the bottom of the list. I think this sends a bad message to the customers, implying that Thumbtack list is totally random and meaningless.

MR
Level 10

@vasy Just as a point of clarity, and not agreeing or disagreeing with your comments, my understanding is that the fact that someone is a Top Pro has no bearing on where they rank in the pro search list. Thus, it seems that the background check will not be a factor in this search ranking algorithm as well.

That said, I do see benefit in that ranking Top Pros and background checked pros higher may give some intregrety to the ranking - perhaps moreso than the current criteria as how fast someone responds.

vasy
Level 5

yes, I agree with you, I also think that if you dont have a background check you should not be allowed to be on Thumbtack at all.

0 Kudos

@MR 

Does anyone really know what the ranking criteria is? I mean specifically... we know the factors. But there are all kinds of anomalies in the rankings that don't make sense. I would really love to see the ranking explained specifically - including factors like new profiles getting a boost (which I've been told does, and does not exist)

0 Kudos
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Haven’t been hired all year.
Smiley Sad
Highlighted
jcp
Level 9

@DCFGCatering. I literally got choked up when I saw you sad face and comment. It truly is sad how this site has changed. Cost increase, less leads, ghosting, unrealistic filtering, etc. and zero flexibility on refunds. I feel ya!
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Our leads cost 75$ as well.

It just doesn't make sense the changes at least for our business category.

We used to provide such a good service.

Met so many people.

The foundation we built on thumbtack as sustained us and we are a growing business still.

But these changes have hamstrung me.

Our last review was in december and we have over 120 reviews in 4 years

Moderator Meckell

Just to clarify @MR, completing a background check improves your overall profile score. Your profile is one of the factors of where you rank, so having a background check essentially does affect where you rank in a positive way. If you have any other insight or questions to add regarding ranking, please do so on current threads that are about ranking. 

0 Kudos

@MR , You're correct. It doesn't matter. I've ranked in the top 5 -10 for the past 5 YEARS prior to my most recent Top Pro award, since recieving this one my ranking has dropped down in the 20 something ranking..there's no consistency that I can see.

I've also had ZERO leads for almost 2 months. This month alone my views for the month of August have declined by more than 50%.

BarisGraphics
Full Time Freelance Graphic Design.
On time and on budget!
JoeB131
Level 7

@vasy  said - "

I think a background check should be mandatory to open any Thumbtack profile, but it is good news that at least will be a criteria to become a top pro.

I saw many times someone with no hires, no reviews and no background check at the top of the list while top pros with a lot of 5 star reviews, hires and background check are at the bottom of the list. I think this sends a bad message to the customers, implying that Thumbtack list is totally random and meaningless."

Probably the person with no reviews, hires, or background check turned on "Targetting" Or whatever they are calling it this week, while the Top Pro realized it's just throwing money at the tire-kickers.  

I just did my background check because it's a requirement to maintain my Top Pro status.  Not that I was worried, I've never been arrested, have a fantastic credit score because I've paid my bills for the last 40 years, and so on.  

I have more problems with this "Answer in four hours", especially when the leads are ones I never should have gotten to start with. I got one yesterday from Madison Wisconsin.  I don't live anywhere near Madison.  Or even in Wisconsin. 

0 Kudos