Part 3: How to post on social media

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
6 3 1,452

Post 3 - How to post on social media.jpg

This article is the final part of a 3 part series. Make sure to check out Part 1: How to create your social media strategy, and Part 2: How to create a social media calendar.

You’ve got all of the basics down — now it’s time to start posting, get followers, and work towards your goals. Here are some social media best practices to keep in mind as you move forward.

Figure out what types of updates you’re going to post.

There are a lot of different ways to post on social, including links, shares, videos, images, quotes, and plain text. Choose one type that you’ll use the most and plan to post a different type for every four posts.

Follow and engage with relevant people and brands.

Building a following takes time, but a good way to start is by following people who are relative to your business. Share their content, like their posts, join their conversations, and ask questions.

Engage with your audience.

As your follower count grows, be sure you’re taking time to engage with your audience — whether they’re potential or existing customers. Listen. Answer their questions on time. Respond to complaints and work to make the customer happy. Even a simple thank you if they pay you a compliment will go a long way.

Create a hashtag for your brand.

Put a hashtag on all of your marketing materials. Encourage customers to share their experience and use the hashtag. One great way to do this is to give away something small once a week/month to everyone who posts it. It’s a good way to get people talking about your business without spending a lot.

Post content that fits your brand’s personality.

It’s ok to go off topic once in a while with a funny meme or photo, but the majority of your content should fit your brand. That doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun with it, but keep things as consistent as possible. Otherwise you’ll confuse your followers.

Monitor your goal progress.

There are lots of tools out there that can track your efforts. Most social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, offer their own stats trackers for business profiles. But there are also different social media tracker tools that give you a more detailed analysis, such as Hootsuite or Sprout Social.

Make changes and improvements.

As you continue, you’ll notice what’s working and what isn’t. Tweak your schedule and content based on that information. If something is working well, do more of that. If something is falling flat (i.e. not getting any response), don’t continue to post things like that. You want to monitor your social media results as you go, so that you’re not wasting time on something that’s not working.

Consider paid advertising.

If you’re not getting the results you want as quickly as you’d like, consider advertising on the platforms you’re using. It’s highly targeted and pretty affordable, so it’s a good way to get your message in front of potential customers.

And finally — keep going.

Social media marketing takes time and effort. But stick with it. If you do it well, it will pay off in the form of new business.

Do you have a post that you’re proud of? Or a piece of content that got a lot of engagement? Or maybe you have a really great profile. Share your social media achievements here in the comments.

3 responses

Social Media is huge in today's world. Thanks for sharing these tips! 

Designfrix
Level 5

Great content. Thank you.

I find Instagram the most satisfying. Its easy and quick. People like to swipe and click. Its also easy to leave a 👍

Facebook and Pinterest are ok. Twitter and LinkedIn are not really my cup of tea.

BenFloorsRemode
Level 4

Can u help me get start do advertising my business online. Thank you