It took me eight months to get my first gig. Now I’m a Top Pro.

brinabrina123
Level 5
7 3 235

Before I started my business, my livelihood had always depended on someone else. I worked in the corporate world and had been laid off a few times, either due to a company acquisition or the company going under. Eventually I just said to myself, “I’ve had it with this.” Food had been a passion of mine for many years. I wanted to make money doing that instead. I started Good Fork Catering Company on Thumbtack in 2014.

I had some savings. Enough for six months. Well, it took me eight months to get my first gig. But I stuck with it, because the way I saw it, it was a numbers game. The more you put in, the more you get out. It was a big risk, but it was just something that I needed to do. I just kept answering inquiries for personal chef or catering services.

I don’t know where my confidence to start a business came from. I don’t feel that confident in other areas of my life. Maybe it’s because I really wanted this to work. You could call cooking my “calling,” but for me it’s a love. It’s something I’m in love with. And I thought, “If Martha Stewart can do this, and Ina Garten can do this, I can do it too!” That was another thing that kept me going. I wasn’t reinventing the wheel or anything. I was doing something that lots of people do. And there’s a need for it.

When I finally got my first job, it was for a young lady who hosted a dinner for her boyfriend. Honestly, I don’t know how I got the job. Maybe she liked me when we spoke on the phone. The job went well and she was very eager to give me money. I remember feeling awkward about it. I thought, “Oh my god, am I allowed to take her money?” But then I reminded myself that this is business. I wasn’t doing anything wrong. This is how this thing works.

So from there I kept sticking with my goals. It took me some time to figure out how to keep it up. But now I’m a Top Pro on Thumbtack. So it was hard. It was scary. But also empowering. And if I could go back in time to give myself advice, it would be: “Do everything exactly the same.”

3 responses
Moderator Meckell

You should be so proud of yourself @brinabrina123, this is truly an amazing story!

LZDNVG
Level 6

I love this message and the advice is so open and honest. It's such a good reminder that we're never going to be perfect and we rarely have it all figured out before we get started. Staying positive and seeing a slow start (or a slow period) as a chance to improve instead of a failure is essential for all entrepreneurs and small businesses. Congrats on Top Pro 2019!

Thumbtack Pro and Employee DustiO
Thumbtack Pro and Employee

@brinabrina123 You are so incredible!

About the Author
I've been a Thumbtack Top Pro since January 2018 and I've been on Thumbtack for 1.5 years. I am a Professional Organizer and the owner of PHL Organizer, an organizing company based in Philadelphia, PA.