Meet certified accountant, Mac Reed.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
3 0 145

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.41.07 AM.png

Mac Reed runs Mac Reed and Associates in Houston, Texas. Here’s how he built his business, as told to Thumbtack.

I owned a couple of restaurants when I decided to get my Masters in accounting. While I was still in school, my friends started asking me for help with small things. Questions about their bookkeeping. Complicated tax rules. By the time I finished my degree, I had worked with enough people to build a business. I called my company  Mac Reed and Associates, even though it was just me in a one-room office with my brand new degree hanging on the wall.

From 2011 to 2015, all my growth was from word of mouth. We decided to update our marketing efforts, and my wife found Thumbtack. We used it to hire a web designer and the person we hired was great. I started using Thumbtack to find accounting clients and now it’s between 20 and 30 percent of my business and I have more than five employees and offices in two states.

Most of the clients that come through Thumbtack are either bookkeeping clients or tax clients, and they come from a really wide range of industries. I’ve had plumbers, electricians, renovation companies and construction companies. One client was from a huge company that was doing $20 million dollars a year. I also worked with an NFL coach who found us on Thumbtack — I was pretty shocked about that one.

How did you get started on Thumbtack? Tell your self-made story in the Forum.