Too old to be a professor? Teach golf.

Thumbtack Writer
Thumbtack Writer
1 2 726

Kenneth Vaughn is a former restaurant industry executive turned academic who is now a full-time golf instructor. Learn how he’s hitting all his business shots at age 75.

I graduated college at age 71 with a 4.0 and a PhD in American Political History. I wanted to be a professor. But after a year and applying to 32 teaching positions without getting any interviews, I realized that my age might be an obstacle to getting a professorship. So I sat down with a piece of paper and listed out my strengths.

I have a passion to teach.

I have always been athletically gifted.

I love the game of golf.

I went with my assets and passion. I’m 75. I was the Vice President of Operations and Training for several major restaurant chains. I was one of the founders of the Spaghetti Warehouse. Now I teach. I had always enjoyed playing golf but never thought about doing it professionally. But when you live to be 75, you end up doing a lot.

puolndfqk38484g_750x500.jpg

2 responses

What a cool story!

vlnmkrpro
Level 1

I'm 71 years old and I'm also very active in many areas of life.  You're never too old to do fun and interesting things until you die.  Then, you're finally too old.