Highlighted
Best Answer

Getting charged for leads that simply don't reply, or for leads that I decline right away.

Active Community Member
Best Answer

So I've had an overall good experience with Thumbtack since I joined.  The top Pro status is a bit out of reach for other reasons that TT doesn't bring into consideration.  But regardless, in my area, my business has been at the top of the list in all the categories that are targeted with the highest review rating for quite some time...

There have been some minor changes and some drastic changes to the TT platform along the way. After adapting to the changes, I get adjusted and things seem to work out for the better...  The problem I am having now is getting charged for leads that simply don't reply, or for leads that I decline right away.

This has gotten worse and worse over the past few months. Especially with this pandemic going on right now, the quality of the leads has taken a drastic downturn. This is not TT's fault, but naturally, when people arent making money, they tend to go about things in a more frugal manner.  On top of having to deal with customer's that are now negotiating more than ever, the number of leads for my particular work field has risen drastically because pretty much everyone is at home these days and they are unable to attend their local gyms. So this is where we come in..

To make a long story short, Ive been forced to decline quite a few jobs.  These jobs were not necessarily close to me, and for one reason or another, I'm just too busy to make some of them worthwhile, when I know I have more than enough work right now.  What shocked me the most is that I just checked my bank statement for the past month(actually 26 days) and I noticed that I was charged $269 from TT for leads!  Mind you, I was in contact with some of the customers, but most of them I declined right away, so another pro could pick up the lead, or the customer never responded at all.  What makes matters worse is that im still spending my maximum budget, yet I only ended up booking a total of 4 appointments from these TT leads for the month. YES ONLY 4!!  At $67 per appointment booked, I'm better off not working, as my jobs pay about 150 bucks on average, without expenses factored in.  The cost of the leads has gone up quite a bit over the past year or so, and now it's really starting to reflect.  I simply can't make sense of using the site anymore, if this is how I'm going to be charged. I hate to say it, but it doesn't make business sense pro a Pro's standpoint..

Getting charged for leads when you decline them immediately is absolutely ridiculous.  Especially when TT is charging the pros that are actually submitting bids to these customers anyway.  Another thing that bothers me with the fact I get charged automatically because the business is "Promoted", yet other pros are getting in bidding wars with me for these jobs.  If the customer submits a request over the weekend, I get charged for being promoted, but sometimes am not even able to respond unit monday comes around. TT can't expect every pro to work around the clock 7 days a week to keep up with these requests, just to make sure that we arent paying for nothing for leads submitted during non-business hours. 

Is the Top Pro status also is calculated based on a 24 hour timeframe for responding as well?

title edited by moderator on 03/25/2020 for clarity

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Best Answer

What kind of message board is this anyway?!

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I understand that there’s a level of transparency needed to make TT out to be legitimate. But how can you build trust with your current customers/members if you change the titles of their topics and move/hide their postings??

It’s basically the same thing has deleting a bad customer review in my opinion. I have seen moderators do this constantly in order to clean up the content and make TT appear to be more appealing and make it out to have less overall complaints or concerns. This is NOT how a public message board should be run. It’s Absolutely dishonest and gives false representation.

post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 3/35/2020

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: What kind of message board is this anyway?!

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I hope I don’t get penalized now for being Honest!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

@fixfitness we're very clear about our Community moderation transparency along with the Community Code of Conduct.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.

0 Likes
replies
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: I'm about ready to pull the plug on TT....

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@fixfitness I first want to congratulate you on all of the success you've found on Thumbtack. You have 65 reviews and have been hired almost 90 times, which are both amazing accomplishments. 

We see that you have your targeting preferences set so that you can get connected to those customers that you always want. Keep in mind that if you're targeting preferences are set, a customer reaches out to you and their job matches your preferences, you'll be charged even if you choose to decline. Please check out our Help Center article Paying for leads to learn more about what you're charged for. 

If you're noticing you are declining jobs because they're too far, on a date you're not available, or it's a job you don't want. We recommend going through your preferences and tightening them up so you don't keep getting those jobs. Take a look at your travel preferences and calendar as well to make sure you're blocking out dates and areas that you're not interested in. 

We understand that it's frustrating when customers reach out to you, you respond, and then you don't hear back. Keep in mind that because of Price Assurance, you will get refunded if the customer doesn't view your first reply within 48 hours. 

One of the things you need to do to become a Top Pro is to respond within 4 hours 75% of the time. However, it's not based on a 24-hour time frame, it's the hours that fall between 8am - 8pm local time. 

I hope all of this clarifies a lot of your pain points. You've found a lot of success on Thumbtack and we want that success to continue. If you have any questions regarding your specific account or want someone to look over your preferences with you, our team is more than happy to help! Just contact us 7am-6pm Monday-Friday MST.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

What kind of message board is this anyway?!

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I understand that there’s a level of transparency needed to make TT out to be legitimate. But how can you build trust with your current customers/members if you change the titles of their topics and move/hide their postings??

It’s basically the same thing has deleting a bad customer review in my opinion. I have seen moderators do this constantly in order to clean up the content and make TT appear to be more appealing and make it out to have less overall complaints or concerns. This is NOT how a public message board should be run. It’s Absolutely dishonest and gives false representation.

post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 3/35/2020

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I hope I don’t get penalized now for being Honest!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Expert
Best Answer

@fixfitness we're very clear about our Community moderation transparency along with the Community Code of Conduct.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Getting charged for leads that simply don't reply, or for leads that I decline right away.

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I have just sign up with TT about a week ago. I have responded over 20 possible leads. Out of 20 I only got one customer and 2 checked me out. What am I doing wrong?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Getting charged for leads that simply don't reply, or for leads that I decline right away.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@Deank Let's have you start by getting some more reviews as we've seen that pros with at least 10 reviews on their profile are more likely to get hired. Remember that you can get up to ten reviews from customers outside of Thumbtack. I would also recommend looking through our Pro Resources to listen to some Top Pros give their tips on how to be successful on Thumbtack. 

0 Likes