Highlighted

If you choose not to engage with new targeting policy, will you ever show up for customers?

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I am still trying to understand this new policy.  If we choose not to target, is there any reason to remain with Thumbtack?  Is there any way for a customer to find you if you do not have targeting turned on, once this policy is implemented?

It is a real drag if this is the case.  I agree with the many of other commenters that my business has too many variables to use targeting.  I would estimate that of the 2-3 decent leads I get in a month, only 1 leads to a paying job.  Does TT think that paying for the other two is worth that one paying lead?  If that is the case, I would like to suggest they decrease their lead charges.

When TT contacted me to join, they could not tell me what percentage of leads turned into paying jobs.  This was pretty surprising to me.  Now, I realize the reason they don't care about that data is that the pro's are the customers. 

*Post edited by moderator on 08/04/2020 for violation of Code of Conduct

replies
Highlighted

Re: If you choose not to engage with new targeting policy, will you ever show up for customers?

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Honestly, it doesn’t seem to matter either way. I have my targeting turned on and I’m STILL not showing up in search results, even if I search my own zip code. I’m a Top Pro who used to get almost daily work and now I haven’t had any contact with anyone in quite some time. It looks like it’s time to move on from Thumbtack.
Highlighted

Re: If you choose not to engage with new targeting policy, will you ever show up for customers?

Community Regular
Best Answer
I guess we'd still be able to manually submit bids to potential clients who tick the 'contact other pros' box. So we'll scrap on sloppy seconds, so to speak.

I agree there are too many variables to commit to targeting. Also, a lot of customers are very lax with their job description since they're not paying or don't know (or care) that we are. There's also the ever-present suspicion of fake clients.

The sad thing for pros who are pressured to use targeting is that the value of their advertising dollars drop as more people sign up for the policy. Everybody paying for attention from the same number of eyeballs. Perhaps, TT will then ask low-rated pros to pay more. It'll never stop.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
"Sloppy Seconds?" For me it's more like sloppy eighteenths! As a wedding officiant only about one in eighteen of my quotes are actually seen by the customers I submit quotes to, because I simply cannot use targeting (I serve a four state area, and while there are time filters, there's no geographic filter). Thus, Thumbtack penalizes me by making it almost impossible for customers (particularly those using the phone app) to ever see my quote. Still, considering how few people actually hire someone from Thumbtack as a wedding officiant after posting a request, I'm glad I'm not automatically paying for worthless leads. Since February of 2019 when Promote was introduced I've gone from getting 98 percent of my work from Thumbtack to currently three percent. Thanks a lot for really helping out a small business, guys!
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
where else do you get leads from?
0 Likes