Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Community Regular
Best Answer

I am a head shot photographer.  I heard that when you choose to promote your business you agree to have your account automatically charged when a lead is generated.  I hope that's not the case.  I mean, I need to know where that customer is located and make sure he's not too far away, be sure he or she understands my pricing policies, be certain that what they expect is what I offer to provide,  etc. etc.. 

If I don't want this particular job can I still opt out by selecting "decline".

Thanks,

Les 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I’m a small business owner and it’s cisting me too much for this now. Customers don’t realize it’s costing us. I e had to many not taking this serious after I contact them. Saying did not mean to request or changed their mind. How can us business owners protect ourselves from this. I’m about to cancel my sc punt cause these leads are hurting me cause no business. It was ok for a while.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

What happens when someone uses two names within a month for the same wedding and I am charged 2 times?

Rev. Bill Sirginson
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I have a small musical group with jazz and Caribbean playlist. Generally it is 2 people but the 2nd is not always available. I can perform solo and I am very reliable. I have to finally promote a solo product which is always there. Is there a good market for solo player
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Why i am not getting any jobs lately?
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I think the problem is universal. I used to get 2 -3 jobs per week, now I haven’t been hired once in 3 weeks. Thumbtack has made it too easy for customers to click around with no obligation to hire anyone.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

This new system they have just benefits them not us as small companies.. instead of helping.. I've been promoting my business and it looks I'm going backwards instead! is so frustating...

this "new" system is impacting my small bussiness in a horrible way.. =( I barely get leads.. BARELY!! I don't understand...

just looking now to get rid of thumbtack and promoting somewhere else..

Sad implementation Thumbtack has.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

80% of my income was from TT in the last 2 years. But now I am about to quit. They change rules every year and want to get more money from Pros. I joined TT in 2017 and that time they charge the fee once customer opens the quote. Many tire kickers open your quote and never respond. The good thing was I only spent $5-$10 each quote (about $200/mo)and only 5 Pros can send the quote. So you still have a lot of chance to win.

Sometimes in 2018, they tried to figure out the tire kickers and they changed the rule to only charge fee when the customer reply to your quote. It's kinda get rid of the tire kickers but I have to pay $15-$30 each quote. There is a trash reply template feature such as "are you available” “I will call you back later” on TT and you can't edit before you send it. You tap and it will send it. Sometimes you need to edit a little bit and you will send it accidentally. 30% of customers sent this kind of useless messages on TT and I got charged. However, they don't interested in your service at all also never reply to your quote they just don't know how to use this APP.

Everything just fine because I still make money from TT. On TT, customers post a request with the details and Pros will get a notification and look at the details if it matches your work. Then we will send a quote(only 5 pros) with our price and service. This bidding system helps me get more chance to win. Because I don't need to against 1000 photographers on TT and only against 4 people. It's more efficient than advertising. However, at the end of 2018, TT pushes customers to use their another new feature call: Insta Match or promoting. Actually, it released a long time ago but almost no one uses it. Usually, I get 15-25 quotes every day and I am getting less and less request at the end of 2018. So I turn on the promoting and see how good is it. After a weeks later, I closed it. I find it just ruining TT and let Pros pay more $$. This is how the promoting works: when a customer finding a photographer, it used to create a project with the detail and wait for Pros to respond. In the promoting, customers will see a Pro list near your location first. You fill out the details and you will see the price on the Pro list. You can contact the Pros as many as you want. For Pros, we will need to fill out the price for each service and the duration first. TT will charge Pros the fee once the customers contact us from the Pro list. So there is no a request page anymore and Pros can't bid the interested requests anymore. So, I got several messages from the promoting(already paid $$) from TT and I saw most of them I am not available, not interested or the wrong budget. I tried to correct the price base on the info I saw(since I already paid) or decline them(I can't do or I am not available). Guess what? Only 20% of them reply or they are interested in my service. There still have many tire kickers on TT and they click Pros on the list for fun or for something. But I paid $200/week after I promoting(I pay $10- $20 each) and I can't control the customers I interested. I have to turn it off.
Same tire kickers problem on TT, I paid $5-$10 in 2017 and now I paid $10-$20. Each quote TT can get at least $50-$100 in their hand. TT you are really rich and you still want more $$ from Pros. If are such greedy and break the win-win, I will leave. Without our Pros, you are nothing.
Here is the thing, as a photographer, I have to see the request detail first!!!!!!(what they want, where and the duration and their budget)For the people who just need simple shots and low budget I will get a cheap rate and for the people who want some high-quality photos(some weddings and corporate events) I will ask more $$$$$$$$. We are flexible on the rate but this stupid Promoting never asks us first and force us to pay $$ first before we consider it and change the rate. As a result, I may give a wrong price or I am not available or I am not interested in it at alllllll! The interesting thing is after I turn off the promoting I got nothing every day, no photography job at all(I used to get 15-25 quotes every day). On my APP I only see a few videography and real estate jobs. Also, I found there is no notification anymore(either on APP, email or text), I have to open the APP manually and check by myself. Guess what again!!!!! I used my customer account and found the reason is TT is trying to push customer use Promoting instead of the traditional bidding system. Because TT can get more $$$$$ on promoting.

Alright, I am not a native speaker and please forgive my English. Thanks for TT, I got 5-10 jobs/mo before but in Jan 2019 I only got 1 job. IT's OK I am busy on other jobs and the lunar new year. I will be back and check If TT still like your great idea after the lunar new year or it's the time to say goodbye?

Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

TT 想钱想疯了吧?以前要买credit的时候一个request不到10块,虽然顾客只要点开就扣钱但是不是很贵。后来TT终于解决tire kicker的问题,只有回复的时候才扣钱,但是一个quote要20-30了。这也就算了,现在所谓的promoting就是scam。同样被那些无聊的人乱发消息,然后没有回应,或者找错pro,或者客户要求很奇怪,或者我没时间。昨天还有一个找video的却找到我photographer这里,白白扣钱,而且一个quote现在起码10块以上。同样是tire kicker以前我付不到10块,现在变本加厉一倍以上。如果TT继续放纵tire ticker的话我只能选择离开了。

现在TT强迫大家开promoting,如果不开我一天连一个request都看不到,而且就算有request我的app,短信,邮件都不会提示。只有我手动刷新才能看到。TT越来越卑鄙了呵呵!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I am a bit frustrated because clients want to know my availability i reply and that's the end. By that time thumbtack already deducted the fee and i don't have a lead. Some leads claim that they are not aware of any fees ( not sure if that's true or not) How can we resolve this issue?? Maybe we pay once we have booked a cleaning date? Just a suggestion. I am thankful for the leads that are now regular clients!!!!
0 Likes