Highlighted

New Targeting Policy

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Just read the new targeting policy in effect July 14th. I've been with TT for many years and obtain most of my business here, but being forced to turn on targeting if I want to show up in search results may just be the last straw for me. The cost of leads has gone up exponentially since I started and since I haven't worked since March (caterer), I have been very careful about which leads I respond to since money is so tight. This is how TT shows their support for Pros during this unprecedented time? Would love to hear from other pros.

replies
Highlighted

Re: New Targeting Policy

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I just read this and decided to shift my advertisement dollars. I have tried to be loyal and promote Thumbtack and give credit where credit is due. Beside the rate hikes and now not putting me in searches if i dont target leads i think my time is done. The leads have been garbage recently and when I have targetted my leads were unless. if this go into effect i think im ready to part ways.
Thanks for posting cause I thought i was the only one.
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Like you, I have been loyal and stuck with TT through all the changes. Their rationale and justification to force us to turn on targeting is, at the end of the day, about money, nothing more. Before I respond to any lead, I like to review the request to see if it's a possible fit. There are too many variables for me to turn on targeting and from what I've seen in my category, I believe there's only one local caterer participating in targeting. We are all small businesses and just can't afford it. Thanks so much for your response and perspective.
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Agreed _ doesn't seem to be much choice. Obviously it is time to go. Most unfortunate for "them" to be making these type of Choices ! _ Have a SAFE Holiday _ Cheers ! ~
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
Lark, I have seen the targeting policy and have resisted that policy as well. Too many moving parts for me. I am in a highly competitive area as well (wedding officiant). To pay for a lead automatically just because you send me a lead is ridiculous. And the 50+% increase in lead fees is outrageous and greedy. Not sure what is happening, but am pretty sure this is a sign of a desperate company that may be losing the battle to stay in business. I have seen it before and this is a replica of what I have seen just before the business goes under. I hope not, because I generate most of my business here. But it has become less and less. We will see what happens. Good luck to you. Do you have another venue your are using for leads?
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Thanks, Pastord24. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how many pros stick with TT or move on. I have an account with Fash but that really doesn't produce much for me. I am going to increase my social media presence, reach out to event planners and other industry professionals, and keep looking for other marketing opportunities. I am fortunate to have regular clients who continue to hire me and refer me to their friends. The pandemic has certainly made everything more challenging but I keep hoping for the best. Stay safe and healthy and I wish you the best of luck as well.
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
Hi Lark,

Would you mind sharing what targeting policy you're referring to coming into effect on July 14? I can't find any information about this...

Thanks.
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
Hi Zach! The alert has been all over TT for a few weeks now. There's a banner at the top of the Leads page and in your notifications. It reads "Starting July 14th, only pros with targeting on will show up in search results".
0 Likes