Highlighted

Re: Promote Issue

Active Community Member
Best Answer

As a professional handyman, the old system was working very well for me; the new "promote" system does not, for one simple reason:  no matter how detailed the criteria is for formulating an automated quote, no one can anticipate every scenario.  Thus, I don't accept every potential job that presents itself under a category in which I'm active.  With few exceptions, every potential job is unique in some form or fashion, and a system that requires me to anticipate all possible conditions and then send an automated quote (with the associated fee to me) is unworkable.  Sometimes it's simply a matter of my availability not being compatible with the customer's schedule.

Under the old system, I could review a lead, determine whether or not I could properly service the customer, and respond accordingly.  If I needed more information from the customer to formulate a quote, I could ask for it.  I realize, of course, that I can still do that, but I don't have time to sift through the myriad of leads that are outside of my service area if I don't "promote" a particular service and allow the system to send a quote before I even see it.  The only system that works well for me is one where the customer gives details about a particular project and the location, I review those details to determine whether or not I wish to do the job, and then contact the customer either with a quote or with my questions.

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

In some ways, I think the cost of the lead in and of itself is not the top issue in what is problematic about the new system.

There is more to it...

Once TT delivers a lead to you, there are two other factors at play:

1) As soon as the lead makes their choice of a Pro, TT strongly suggests that they consider other pros several times. Once in an initial email, and then again in follow-up emails. In fact.. they use the words something like "here are more pros, just in case..." This act by TT severely dilutes the lead quality and is extremely disingenuous and in bad faith to the pros.

2) There is a very high liklihood the lead will never respond back. This is due to the fact that the post selection path for the lead is very confusing in that TT's site goes to great measures to make it difficult for the lead to see comments made by non-promoted pros, and for that matter, by all pros. I did a sample run on the commercial side, and quite frankly, the site is confusing and somewhat difficult to navigate sending many consumers away in frustration I fear.

There has been a volume of posts throughout these boards on these issues. It is fascinating how consistent the frustration is amongst the pros who post here.

If TT would mitigate these issues, I would argue that the pricing, in general, may actually be about right - but there certainly are some cases where that will not be the case and tuning is needed. This being the case, I sincerely hope we see the day that pricing is our biggest issue and that TT resolves the other issues that are of great concern to many.

Community Regular
Best Answer

i've been using TT since it started, almost 15 years? in the beginning, there was a way to ask for clarifications too. it was very useful. most of the time, people asking for my services, especially on this site, are rookies. so they really don't know what they want or really need. if the lead is inexpensive enough, then i can take the time to educate them, and they can make a better decision. another thing i've commented on many times is that the customer is not asked the right questions to answer, despite TT saying they have a pro advising them. I'm an architect and it's a weird language to start with.  I've offered many times, and referred a very knowledgeable friend too. (he's a former architect with City of San Francisco, so a real expert and super nice guy) so i tried the promote thing and right away, got a lead that was wrong. also partially my mistake, since i did say on my profile that 'i rarely do such and such'. i've changed that to 'never do...such and such'.  also sub headings in the customer 'algorithym' - is that the right word? are misleading too. fact is, you can't learn everything by google search! actually do need to talk to people inthat field. anyway, TT has become much less effective for me lately, with the 'new and better format'....hmmmmm. anyway, would like to see it more user friendly for the potential customers and the pros..

Highlighted

Promoting!

Community Expert
Best Answer

If Promoting, why can't I see more local jobs in the Jobs tab?

After all, if a customer sends me a conversation starter, they in turn are sent more Pros as a "just in case". So if a customer reaches out to a different Pro, why can't those jobs be sent via Jobs tab as a "just in case" for the Pros?

Why I ask, I'm tired of receiving jobs that aren't in my preferences, especially those that are 150+ miles away from me.

Highlighted

Re: Promoting!

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie in your Jobs tab, you'll see jobs from a variety of different areas. Those areas also include ones that are closer to you. As we've mentioned, leads in the Jobs tab are going to include partial matches and won't fully match the preferences you have set. We do this to give you more options and opportunities to do the jobs that you may not always do, but are willing to do so every once in a while. If the job isn't something you're interested in, go ahead and pass on it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Meckell 

Guess what I'm trying to say is, if I'm Promoting, then preferences should hold true to Jobs Tab as well. I don't want to travel 150+ miles to DJ an event. Not to repeat, but  if a customer reaches out to me via Promote, that customer then gets a list of more Pros to choose from "just in case". So, shouldn't the same hold true in Jobs tab with local jobs? Give Pros a chance to reach out to customers as a "just in case"?

Just trying to fully understand Promote and Jobs Tab. Because I don't think many Pros enjoy receiving leads that are 150+ miles away. Yes, we can decline them and not get charged, but it's waste of time for Thumbtack to send to us, and for us to sift through, right?

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@DJStevie 

I read somewhere here that 150 miles is the default distance the system will set for how far a pro is willing to travel to do a job. Is this realistic?   Now I realize that this can be reset by the pro - but it just seems like that is a pretty big number to start with.  (That said, I wish this was the biggest issue we had to deal with on the system these days.)

Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@MR 

I know that the travel radius via Jobs Tab isn't the biggest issue right now, but it's an issue facing majority, if not all, of us. I along with you, wish that this was the only issue that we are dealing with.

I can't find a travel preference to set for the Jobs tab, and as far as I know, it doesn't exist. If I re-set via travel settings, I think that's only for when you are Promoting, not for manual quotes. If I'm wrong, maybe Thumbtack can point it out to me.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

@MR wrote:

@DJStevie 

I read somewhere here that 150 miles is the default distance the system will set for how far a pro is willing to travel to do a job. Is this realistic?   Now I realize that this can be reset by the pro - but it just seems like that is a pretty big number to start with.  (That said, I wish this was the biggest issue we had to deal with on the system these days.)

I'm sure 150 miles was prefect for some pros. Those with multiple bases/branches, those in very rural areas (where they can drive 70 mph for 140 of those miles), those who provide midsize crews for 14 hour days even after driving 4 hours round trip(heck I might even get a hotel for a $10,000 3 day job) and honestly people who are going to sub the work out.  When TT was $8 for a lead I could have subbed work out and still made a profit at that price.   I strongly suspect it was a combination of pros with local branches/employees, sub-contractors and those who were utterly starved for work. Many of the pros on TT don't have a highbar to enter the proffession. 

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

Right on @DJStevie! Sorry @Meckell but I disagree with your statement here 'We do this to give you more options and opportunities to do the jobs that you may not always do but are willing to do so every once in a while'. I sure as hell will not travel nor entertain even taking on a job that's 150 miles plus from where I live. The majority of these jobs have ridiculously low budgets that I wouldn't even consider if they were in my travel area so why waste my time sending me these leads? All it does it pad TT stats because it shows you are sending me leads. Leads that I'm going to pass on anyway. So how is this helping me? I have set my travel preferences for job leads. That's what I want to see in the Jobs tab! I live just outside of Phoenix. I'm not traveling down to Tucson or up the mountain to Flagstaff for DJ gigs. Listen & hear your service pros! We want job leads in the Jobs tab that are within our travel area that we have set. Period.