Highlighted

Targeting turned on by March 23

Community Expert
Best Answer

I received a message above Opportunities in this screenshot saying "turn on Targeting by March 23". I have Targeting on for a select few cities, so why would I receive this message? Or is that message for Pros to turn on Targeting by March 23, 2020? If so, is this the way Thumbtack is moving, to have everyone turn Targeting on?

DJ Stevie 2-28-2020

new tt.png

replies
Highlighted

Re: Targeting turned on by March 23

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie yes, we’re slowly implementing some changes. Starting March 23, in certain geographies and in certain categories, search results will only include pros who set their targeting preferences. You saw the announcement because you’re one of these pros, and should come as welcome news since you have targeting turned on.

Let me share some more details about why this is happening. 

Our goal is to match pros with customers who want to hire a pro so this is an intentional step towards helping you get the leads you want. We’ve already launched this for pros in other cities and categories and here’s what we learned:

On average, pros with targeting turned on (compared to pros who haven’t set their preferences):

• get contacted about 3 times more 

• see more than a third of their leads turn into conversations with customers

Our plan is to roll this out slowly so pros understand the changes are set up to succeed. If you have not seen this change yet rest assured you will see in-product notifications and receive emails with advanced notice before changes are made.

Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Meckell 

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, it doesn't come as welcome news to me. I have Targeting on as a test to see how and if it works for me. Thus far, it isn't working all that well for various reasons. 1 lead out of 200 isn't a great percentage, especially for a Pro who has ALL 5 star reviews, and abides by the rules when listing his profile.

If I decided to turn off Targeting because it's not working, then I will not show up in searches, yet at the moment if I opt out of it, I still show in searches.. But with it turned on, I then have to pay for a conversation starter. I've shared my dislike for those conversation starters in the past, so for now, at this time, I will not rehash them.

You mentioned that with Targeting turned on, Pros get contacted about 3 times more
and see more than a third of their leads turn into conversations with customers. If that statistic is true, than I would have had more than the one lead out of 202 views thus far this week, and it's Saturday afternoon already. With that theory, that lead should have converted to at least a conversation with the "customer". "Customer" hasn't called/emailed me yet and this was a day or two ago. It can't be refunded as it shows "customer" read my message. That's a discussion for a different day.

If this is set up to show Pros that we are to succeed, how is Thumbtack guaranteeing, at least to me, that things will change? So far, obtaining quality leads is worse than what it was compared to last year, and the year before.  As I mentioned to @Drew the other day in a thread , the changes made in the past 2-3 years, the qualified leads have dwindled and are far and few between.

I can understand that Thumbtack may be listening to Pros that the platform isn't working for many of us, but I don't understand how keeping Targeting is going to help, when Targeting is part of that upset. 

One question to add, what improvements are being made by Thumbtack to Targeting to  show Pros that Thumbtack wants us to succeed?

DJ Stevie 2-29-2020

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie the numbers I shared with you are based on what we've learned where the change has already been made. As you know we can’t, and don’t, guarantee results for your business. But we’ve seen targeting preferences working and we'll be keeping a close eye on it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

@Meckell   Judging by the post that DJ Stevie posted, that customer contacted 10 Pros.  That meant that 9 pros paid for a lead that wasn't going to go anywhere.   I'm not sure how that is a good deal for the pros, making them pay for a bunch of tire kickers.  

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

We're not ASKING TT to 'guarantee' a lead will convert to a job.

BUT, when I had 'targeting' turned on, I kept getting charged for photogrpahy leads that I wouldn't do for the price, nor would I do EVER in terms of Weddings, since that's aggregated with 'Events', and no way to differentiate.

We're ASKING that TT LISTEN to what the Pro's (the actual customers of TT) want: Reasonable lead pricing, significantly better 'granularity', visible marketing, more AND BETTER information in the leads, and some feeling that we're being heard.

Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer
@PhoenixPhotog
Well said!!

DJ Stevie 3-18-2020
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Meckell 

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that Thumbtack can't guarantee results for my business. No platform can, and no advertising in other 

I don't know how Target preferences are working, as you say, but in recent months I've seen many Pros complain in the Community from minor to major reasons why it's not working, and we've given numerous suggestions to help Thumbtack understand what works and doesn't work for us. I have Targeting on, but it's not working, at least not for me. Maybe it's because more "customers" are reaching out to Pros on other platforms? Phone Support has given me a number of reasons why it's not working for me, yet when I explain that I've done everything suggested, they are surprised. 

Whatever the reason, something needs to be done to help Pros obtain the quality leads that we had when I first joined Thumbtack.

DJ Stevie 3-12-2020

Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer

Following this thread