Highlighted

Re: Want to know more about Price Assurance?

Community Regular
Best Answer

Thank you.  I've only been on Thumbtack a short time, thinking it might be a way to get more mural work clients.  I keep honing my profile hoping to improve my leads.  But I think the factors that can't be controlled on our profiles are the problem.   A lot of people like to dream up projects that really are not solid, and they get on Thumbtack to see what it might cost them and if they can afford to do it at all.  Mural work is particularly susceptible to this kind of price shopper/tire kicker, since most people are totally clueless about what mural work entails.  I also suspect that most customers don't take the time to read profiles completely and learn something before requesting availability or asking for a quote.  And I can't understand why they ask for availability when our calendars are posted.  Why don't they just look?  Obviously we are available at some point in time.  Unless they list a start date where timing is urgent, why ask for availability?  A lot of customer behavior is baffling, and I really don't think they know the aggravation they cause to Thumbtack businesses, or that we pay for each of these aggravations.  I am waiting for things to improve, otherwise I will have to close my account.  I don't have a budget to auto pay for a lot of what is coming through.  I have had only one warm lead so far.  I wonder too, we get nudges to respond to customers, but do they get nudges to reply to us?  I find it so rude that people don't bother to reply to something they initiated themselves.  It's not like we are doing cold calls with them.  They came to us!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Why do we pay for leads that we don’t have. I have paid for leads that I didn’t do or was even considered for.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
Best Answer

@Bird53 We want Thumbtack to be a great place for pros and customers, so we allow the customers to ask questions and shop around for the right pro for the job. We can’t guarantee that you are hired, only that you are contacted by people interested in your services. From there it’s up to you to win that customer over.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

Hey pros, a quick reminder that this Q&A is intended for questions directly related to Price Assurance. For a refresher on what Price Assurance is and the rules around it you can review our help center page here: Price Assurance.

Please also try to keep in mind the guidelines for posting in the Q&A that Drew outlined at the beginning of the thread:

• Please limit to one question or idea in a single post so we can respond to as many pros as possible.
  • Off-topic posts may be removed, not answered, or redirected to a more relevant thread.
Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

What decides the price for a lead and why not just charge a flat rate?

Highlighted

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
Best Answer

@bhfolks Great question! There are many factors that determine the price of the lead. We try to align what we charge with the size of the job. I would suggest checking out your budget page for more details about prices and what you pay for. For example, in the DJ category, the pricing is more aligned to the duration of the event.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

We have been told by Thumbtack that if the customer doesn’t look at your first message within 48 hours, you never really had a shot at the job.

However, if a Lead reaches out to me and I respond within 4 hours and the lead doesn't read my response within 48 hours (i.e. my first message to them) Thumbtack will not issue a refund to me.

By Thumbtack's own measure I 'never really had a shot at the job' in the first place. That being the case wouldn't a refund be appropriate? If not then it creates the distinct impression that Thumbtack aren't concerned that they charged me for a lead that I never really had a shot at getting. Are Thumbtack OK with that?

If Thumbtack want us to believe that they have the backs of their Pros then why would Thumbtack refuse to issue a refund in instances where it is apparent to Thumbtack that the Pros never really had a shot at the job.

Highlighted

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
How can I refine the targeting? X-mile radius is not effective for me. A zip code list would be much better.
Highlighted

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
Best Answer

@Scharding. Within each service you offer you can adjust the specific areas you want to receive direct leads from. You can set targeting for the radius around your location, or you can select “specific areas” and go into further depth.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Regular
Best Answer
So by what percentage have you lowered the lead fee when a customer reaches out to several pros? I certainly haven't seen any reduction in fee costs! Fees remain to be too high still for me to take the chance in responding to someone who inquires of many pros for one job. Sorry, but I believe you have more work to do!