Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
TackMaster ChefPaulStaley
TackMaster

Appetizers and the Almost Impossible to Spell Hors d'oeuvres

Over the past few years, I have noticed a continually growing trend of replacing the traditional full buffet meal with a heavy appetizer/hors d'oeuvres spread. As a chef, I absolutely love these menus, as they allow for more creativity and lend themselves more easily to thematic and seasonal preparations.

I would love to hear about and see some of your favorite summer appetizers (tis the season)! No matter where you are located, I would love to see the food that sparked something in you, whether as you were eating it at an event or taking pride in it as the maker....

I'll start off with a couple fun ones that I did for the International Hop Growers Association last summer. The event took place at the hop fields, across the road from a bison farm...

canape.jpgElk Canape with Cherry Onion JamVenison Lumpia.jpgVenison Lumpia with Huckleberry Sweet and Sour Sauce, Micro Wasabi Greens14480604_10100282997977026_4284511458086685179_o.jpgRoasted Seasonal Vegetable Tarte Tatinbison.jpgBison Farm in Yakima

Occupations (1)
4 responses
DCFGCatering
Level 8

Re: Appetizers and the Almost Impossible to Spell Hors d'oeuvres

We find it easier to execute the buffet's as opposed to the apps. 

But you are correct appetizers let you wildly creative.

We ultimately charge less for appetizers then buffets but find them to be more complicated to execute in preperation and on-site execution.  Why not make more and work less?

Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
TackMaster

I almost always charge a similar rate for apps and buffet becasue the work needed is usually offset by the amount of food needed. But if I am double-booked or need a work friendly menu, I usually stick with a buffet. Especially if I can go low and slow on the meats and let time be my helper...

0 Kudos
Roxanne_A
Level 4

😍😍😍 YUM!!

Not a chef here but a huge fan of food, lol!

Gluten free and vegan options are huge right now.

Your Roasted Seasonal Vegetable Tarte Tatin looks delightful! ❤

TackMaster

Thank you!! It is always a huge hit and I like it because it allows me to use what is fresh and seasonal. It's also pretty easy on the budget too...