results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
TackMaster Guatamama
TackMaster

Back to school and tips!

I was asked to share my story with everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions I will love to answer them for you.

I'm a single mom to 12 year old daughter. Before I heard about Thumbtack. I was going through a breakup and had to move my life into a new place and start over. I just barley left a job that I was at for over 10 years and took a small pay cut to do so. When I moved into my new place. I was so tight on money. Literally counting the miles in my car hoping I could make it to work every day. I started donating plasma to help scrape me by. Things were hard very hard. I was venting about it at work one day and one of my friends asked me if I had heard about Thumbtack.  Funny thing is I work in the same building as Thumbtack but didnt know what they do. She told me all about it and said I should give it a try on cleaning homes. I had created a profile but waited 3 days before I had posted my profile. I had to set a limit on a fee on how many referals I could accept. So I had $70 in my account and I just jumped in. My gut was sick because that was so much money to me at the time and what if I didnt get a lead? Well I did not just get one but I got 3 leads. I had no idea where to even start I was just giddy that these people trusted me and wanted me to come clean their house's

There was a lot of learning and things I had to adjust in my life but really it didnt take long. These are the items I took because I had never done it. I took a mop, mop bucket, Broom, Windex, Clorox bleach , some floor cleaner and micro fiber rags. I was so excited to go to my first cleaning job. I still clean her house to this day and she truly is one of my good friends now. My trunk is now full of other cleaning items because some places dont like chemicals and they want natural cleaners. I have a step stool and the list goes on. I need a bigger vehicle.

My life has literally changed. I have a ton of regulars. I have had some ups and downs and learning curves to this process but I can say this. I have money in my account always. I never have to worry about gas. I was able to take my daughter to Florida last month. I have paid all my medical bills and other debt off in a little over a year. I had to replace 4 tires on my car and guess what?  I didnt cry wondering what I was going to do. I was able to pay cash for them. 

You have to have a passion for what you do. Its important because you will get exhausted quickly. Make sure you take time out for you. This I had to learn and it made things so much better for me. I take days off. You have to and need to. Take care of you first and you will do better at what you do. 

Tips- Hard work pays off. Keep adjusting because you will have to figure out what works and what doesn't. Thumbtack truly has been such a positive thing in my life and the people I have met at Thumbtack. Thank you doesn't even express my gratitude that I have for you and your team. Dusti you're amazing and are so great at what you do. 

My daughter is starting back to school. So the nights I have her, I wont clean because time is precious to me since I only have her 50% of the time. She is my little helper their are times I still go and clean but it only takes me 1 to 2 hours to clean my regular homes and she goes with me sometimes. I always ask the  home owners if they are good with it. If its a new customer ,I wont ask them until 2 or 3 times I have cleaned their home if its ok that I bring her, but really everyone that I have asked has always told me its fine. She is a great little helper and she earns money doing it. I'm teaching her that if you work hard the reward is so great. I'm teaching her that me being single and on my own that we can do anything. I'm teaching her how much it helps the people that we're cleaning for. I'm teaching her a lot. 

Thank you Thumbtack for everything. I feel that I have rambled and I hope you get something out of my story. 

Sincerely, 

Tara Chatterton

Occupations (1)
States
1 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Back to school and tips!

You're amazing @Guatamama and such an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I hope your daughter is having a great time back to school Smiley Happy

0 Kudos