results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted
designsby
Level 5

Beware of scammer!!!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post about a crazy thing that happened to me, and also to protect fellow pros! This guy call himself “Ivan Dragic” says he’s from thumbtack and saw my page.. his phone number is +1 (470) 588-5703. Weird thing is that he didn’t approach me via thumbtack, and I was frantically searching my inbox and archives, including sent quotes to see if I had made initial contact with him. I hadn’t, so I decided to entertain him.

He talked about a big project he has to get some banners printed for a church, since he’s a youth leader. He gave a huge budget for his project ($1500) which was a red flag in itself. When it came to make a deposit, which I require of all clients, he said he couldn’t pay via venmo, PayPal, cash app or even zelle quickpay! He’s apparently overseas so he couldn’t accommodate a call either. He said he could only use quickbooks because there was an issue with his card.

Now the weird part comes in. He asked me to help him transfer some money to pay a printer he would use, even though I made numerous suggestions to him about printing services I was familiar with! He ingnored my messages and asked if I could give him my bank details to transfer money to my account, then pay the printer. How weird, right?

Anyway I denied him my information and told him I’d only accept the posted methods, he went on to say how important it was and kept pestering me about setting up a quickbooks account which I’m guessing will show him all my information! I kept saying no and he finally stopped texting me.

Please beware!! I don’t want this to happen to someone who may not be as wary as I am.

Let me know if any of you have experienced this! Please be careful and DONT entertain offers made outside of thumbtack!
States
6 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Beware of scammer!!!

@designsby thank you for sharing this in order to help your fellow pros. I did a search of your account and can confirm that there's nobody with that name that has contacted you. I also searched our system, and we do not have an account under that phone number on the site, but will take proper precautions and notate this. I would recommend stopping communication with this person, as I'm sure you already have. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. 

Same scenario has happened to me. What I think they are trying to do is charge stolen credit cards to you. 

ie. Your invoice is for $1500, they will say please charge $3200 and pay the other guy. You transfer $1700 to some guy, meanwhile you get a charge back for $3200 since the card is stolen. 

I get the request once a month. You get a little hint from initial contact. To weed out if they are real or not, I give them an absurd qoute and if they say yes right away, I know its a scam. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@MidknightGenius are you getting these kinds of requests on Thumbtack? If so, please let us know as soon as you see it. 

0 Kudos
ReeseTee
Level 7

All the time, just not through Thumbtack yet.

I usually start off by telling these people that I only accept check payments from a USA bank that can be found on the internet, I will not pay other subcontractors. And any excess payments will not be returned, but kept as a credit for future business.

Part of the scam is the scammer has health reasons for being unable to speak on the phone (throat surgery, ear surgery, is deaf, etc).  Which is kind of sad. I have a legitimate TT client, who moved to the Chicago area, specfically for throat cancer surgery. I've done a couple of jobs for her, but she never insisted upon advance payment to me.

I have done a fair number of jobs (I do furniture assembly) through TT, where I never met the person hiring me. Usually a parent, hiring me to assemble furniture in an apt or condo for a child starting college, or post grad, who is relocating to the Chicago area for the first time.

So, I have to at least look at these requests when they hit my in box.

0 Kudos

I have the exact same number 1 (470) 588-4703 messaging me directly also claiming to have found me thru thumbtack, wanting new lighting installed. It red flagged me when this person went into detail about his sons health and the poor use of english grammar. I simply googled the phone number and found this post. Thank you for sharing. BEWARE FELLO PROS!
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Brandonharper55 I'm sorry to hear about this. I just want to assure all of you that I searched this number and I'm not finding it anywhere in our database. While you're getting connected with customers on Thumbtack, we do everything in our power to keep your information as safe as possible and have a system set in place that catches inauthentic customers.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about this situation and if you ever have this happen again, please send us the customers phone number so we can see if there is any association with Thumbtack and take the needed action. 

0 Kudos