results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Josephlisky
Level 5

Censorship

So I posted asking if anyone else feels that thumbtack is generating fake leads to boost its profits and it has been deleted. This is a forum for pros but thumbtack will not allow us to question it?
Occupations (1)
26 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Censorship

@Josephlisky there are Community Guidelines in place to help keep conversations working towards solutions. We want you all to post your thoughts, feelings, and suggestions, however, we just ask that it stays constructive. If a post violates these guidelines then it will be up for editing or removal. I've sent you a direct message with more clarification on the post being removed as well. 

As for creating false leads, this definitely isn't something that Thumbtack does. I'll also mention that there are systems in place for preventing certain requests. If you do ever see a questionable request you can report it here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/reporting-suspicious-activity.

0 Kudos
Movers96
Level 5

Is deleting easier than dealing?

I recently (a few minutes ago) had the unusal experience of having a comment deleted that had received one or more kuddos. The comment did not go against any of the Community Guidlines, yet it was still taken down. 

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomena? You spend a few minutes crafting an answer to a legitmate question, yet it is removed! BY THE VERY SAME PERSON WHO YOU IN-MAILED AN HOUR BEFORE! 

Does Thumbtack simply not care about the PROs? Pardon me for saying it, but since the customer is always right, who is paying for Thumbtack to exist? If I'm paying, then I'm the customer and my voice deserves to be heard.

I'd love to have this explained by a manager at Thumbtack, please. I'll even screenshot it for a repost after this one is taken down Smiley Happy

Is anyone experiencing the same problems as me?

Moderator Kameron

Re: Is deleting easier than dealing?

@Movers96 you'll find plenty of feedback and constructive criticism in the Community. However, posts need to be within the Community Guidelines. These guidelines are in place to help keep conversations working towards solutions. If a post violates these guidelines then it will be up for editing or removal. When this happens we also do our best to notify the pro and explain which guidelines were broken. You should have received a direct message about the removal and if you have continued questions about it please continue to respond there. 

0 Kudos
Movers96
Level 5

Sure, @Kameron, I received a direct message saying that I violated rule #7 which says "

7. Keep it in perspective

You'll find plenty of great advice here, but please remember that your business and individual situation may vary from that of another pro.  Some of the advice you find might not work for you; some of it might even be wrong.  Apply the same good judgment here that you would apply to information anywhere on the Internet."

I would really like to know how specifically I violated that rule. It seems to me that I upheld rule #1 which says 

"1.  Keep it constructive

Please respect the Community by keeping your comments constructive and your tone positive as much as possible. It’s okay to complain sometimes, but conversations should remain productive and focused on solutions.  There’s a big difference between a well-reasoned critique, and an angry rant; we always welcome the former, but we ask you to refrain from the latter. At the end of the day, you’re here to help, encourage and support one another, and to learn how to get the most out of Thumbtack." (emphasis added)

So instead of welcoming the critique, the comment was simply deleted.

Please respond.

Movers96
Level 5

So this was initially a new discussion that was near the top of everyone's feed, but instead Thumbtack merged it with an existing discussion when it was not and is not related.

Also, I asked to speak with a TT manager, yet all I got was a response from another moderator.

Is there any way to actually speak with a manager?

cranichik
Level 8

@Movers96 Join the club! Yes, they delete. And they bury the topic inside another one, as in this case. The topics go from Feb 2019 to today, in a mixed up order. Makes no sense!

Josephlisky
Level 5

I don’t believe I was ranting but rather inquiring as to what other pros think, and maybe if enough agree then thumbtack will investigate this issue. Judging my the hundred of complaints to the better business bureau and the over 400 one star reviews regarding this issue i feel it warrants a conversation on thumbtacks platform. 

StoriesUpSTL
Level 8

I think the problem here is the phrasing "thumbtack is generating...". 

Are there fake leads on Thumbtack?  Yes.

Did a Thumbtack employee create that fake lead?  I have no idea.  How could anyone prove this? 

There is a huge amount of distrust with business owners and lead generation sites.  I myself just stopped using Bark.com after spending over $1400 with them.  I got wise before I spent any more and reached out to my credit card company about getting a refund.  I'm getting $420 back because Bark.com can't prove that the leads are any good or even real for that matter.

There are things that Thumbtack could do to gain the trust of the pros when it comes to the quality of the leads.

- Require Facebook or LInkedIn verification (helps give the perception that it's a real person).

- Require a phone number.  If the phone number is wrong or doesn't work, no charge for the contact.

- Give a percentage of the charge back if that customer doesn't hire for that job on Thumbtack.

Highlighted
CLGPatrick
Level 7

@Josephlisky  I've personally experienced a few leads that I found to be fake.  After doing a little investigating, it was clearly not from Thumbtack.  As soon as you find anything that looks faulty or isn't fitting the criteria of your services, contact Thumbtack ASAP to report it.  Every time I've had this issue, I've been able to get the money I spent on that lead back.

Thumbtack is an ever-evolving program that will always have it's quirks to work through.  They've gotten significantly better, but that doesn't mean one doesn't slip through every now and then.  Just be vigilante to call it out.  Even if you question it, still take the time to call and they can confirm if it's legitimate or not.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Patrick Skinner
CLG Photography