results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Moderator Meckell

Re: Changes to TT

Solved! Jump to solution

@JimInDallas I'm happy to hear that you have had a great experience with our Customer Support. They work hard day in and day out to make sure pros are taken care of. We appreciate the feedback we receive from pros and a lot of the updates we make are based on pro and customer feedback. If you ever have any suggestions for us, send them here at any time and they'll go directly to our Product Team

I get how important it is to be notified about changes and updates, so I'll be sure to pass this along. Thanks for reaching out and being apart of the Community!

0 Kudos
Dougee
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Hadn't leveled off for me. I have seen no levelling, just increasing what I pay.

Highlighted
Tom
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi realjrob24, have you weighed out what you spent on TT realitive to what you have made on leads from TT? And have any of the TT leads opened the door to more work that was not directly from TT?

I have been in business for almost 20 years now and I remeber the days of only having an option of using direct mailers, local papers and posting a actual piece of paper on a actual cork board with an actual thumbtack. Direct mailing is expensive, ineffective and there is no way to track how effective it was. I do understand that the prices for TT have risen but please keep it in perspective. TT is so cheap compared to traditional marketing it is crazy and you can track all the leads that you get plust getting analytics on your competition. If you are not seeing the returns that you like then check out what your competion is doing on TT. Maybe it is time to update your profile or prices. I have been on TT for about 5 years and at the 3-4 year mark I realized that my profile looked dated compared to what my competion was doing so i updated and improved it.  I recently stopped offering a discount for first time clients and raised my prices just to see what would happen and it actually helped get more clients through TT. Just my too sense. 

Cheers,

Tom

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

I love this so much! What a great perspective - thank you for sharing.

Countrie
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
I have only got five job's and billed over two hundred dollars wow thats high i have been in business for over thirty years almost thirty eight years coming up in july
Jack Ensign
Pat
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

As a construction contractor, I thought maybe I would try to add a bit of perspective, from my point of view. TT says they are trying to determine the value of a lead, so as to know what to charge.  I used to pay, around 13 credits  $21 or less depending on how I bought credits. Now, "Currently for Deck or Porch Remodel or Addition, a typical customer contact costs around $58, and a contact will never cost more than $75." Now this is just to make contact, not hired. 

First, I can not give a quote from the information TT provides, IMPOSSIBLE. You don't know what will be required, how many supports, how it will connect, what materials the homeowner will want to use, type of railings, on the ground or second story.

So lets say the customer does contact me, lets say by phone to set up a meeting.....RINGER, according to TT ($75). Reality.....I am going to kill half a day going out to meet with the client, walking them through the process. Do I quote now, OF COURSE NOT.  Not I go back to the office, sit down , figure out a materials list, determine costs, and then send them some solid numbers. Do I get the job at this point, OH HELL NO. Now we wait for the other contractors to complete the same process.

At this point the client chooses either to move forward, or to wait, because they didn't realize how much it was going to cost. Now either way I have the best part of 8 hours invested in this project, and not a clue as to whether or not I will get hired, but TT is already ass deep in my checking account, because to some back office types that haven't had compete think this is a super  duper lead.

The Reality is, one lead is not any better than another. You have already doubled, nearly tripled the cost for me to do business with you, without adding one iota value., but if the client calls me, that is supposed to be worth quadruple.

Since the changes, my business has taken about a 50% whack from last year this time. I might be a touch biased, but I haven't changed a thing from something that was working well, TT did though. 

I would like to pass along a Kudo's to the TT team though, you have managed to outpace Home Advisor in pricing. It now cost me more to get a lead for a deck, than it did for building a garage with HA.

jepcarpentry
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
I so agree with this. I'm also a Contractor and its impossible and very irresponsible to give a quote without seeing the project. Most customers can't even describe it properly, which is why they are looking to hire someone.

There is easily 6 to 8 hours involved in providing a quote most of which is after working all day. Thumbtack should not lump all service providers into the same bucket. I'd prefer to pay less for a lead and then a little something if I get the job.
Hearthworks
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Hey Pat. Your post really resonates for me. I’m new to thumbtack. I do home repair, remodeling, maintenace, etc. I’m hesitant to send quotes or info requests on any jobs because it charges me money and I usually don’t get hired. Often the customer isn’t even interested in me or hires someone else. I still get billed by thumbtack. I find that I won’t respond to any requests that will charge me over $15. Too much investment and risk.
Ecstasy
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Perhaps it is just me but I feel like it is unethical and possibly not legal to not advise what you are charging before you bill someone. The amounts for a quote was over four times what I previously paid and I have no way to know what TT is going to bill because the fo so arbitrarily. I’m going to have to find another way to find clients or start a similar advertising site to help others find customers at a more reasonable rate. This is out of hand to me.
JDActionHero
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Last year I spent $20,000 for leads on TT and made $137,000 from thise leads. This year because of the changes I have paid TT less than $5000 and have made less tahn $30,000 from the platform. TT continually makes it harder and harder to be successful on the platform. Since TT makes its money form the vendors you would think that we should be heard, but every change makes it worse for me as a vendor.