Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee AlbertH
Thumbtack Employee

Continuing the conversation - Practicing allyship within your business or career

Hi Pro Community!

Albert from Thumbtack here again - I hope you have all had a great month so far! I’m excited to continue our conversation on allyship within your business/career and provide you with additional resources to read during this holiday season.

Allyship is beneficial for multiple reasons. It not only protects your LGBTQIA+ peers by showing solidarity to their community, but also allows you to educate peers who may not have a clear knowledge of the LGBTQIA+ community, history, terms, etc. You can read a few articles here on:

1. How to be an ally in the office
  2. LGBTQIA+ inclusive companies are better at 3 things.
  3. Key dates for lesbian, gay, bi and trans equality
  4. 20 LGBTQIA+ people who changed the world. 

These articles provide some basic insight into how you can show allyship in your business/career and with your customers. This is a learning process as well. Knowing LGBTQIA+ history can show you ways to continue to support and empower the LGBTQIA+ community.

Allyship can also elevate your customer experience. The second article listed above discusses key findings from a study by the Center for Talent Innovation titled “Out in the World: Securing LGBT Rights in the Global Marketplace,” and we thought this was particularly powerful: 

LGBT-inclusive companies win the business and loyalty of discerning consumers. Seventy-one percent of LGBT respondents and 82% of allies across our multimarket sample say they are more likely to purchase from a company that supports LGBT equality — critical majorities, given that global LGBT buying power is estimated at $3.7 trillion. This finding highlights that inclusivity drives further connection and loyalty from your customers. 

We now want to hear from you! How do you currently show or plan to show allyship in your business or career?

6 responses

Re: Continuing the conversation - Practicing allyship within your business or career

@AlbertH We Pros are generally self-employed and not working for someone else in an office as you are. I fail to see the relevance of this article. Whenever a Pro exhibits a bias or prejudice of any kind, be it ethnic, gender, etc, that Pro puts him/herself at risk of losing business. In this day and age prejudice is looked upon with great disfavor. I understand how the issues of the LBGBTIA Community are near and dear to your thinking. Please explain how this information may directly help the Thumbtack Pro.

Moderator Meckell

Re: Continuing the conversation - Practicing allyship within your business or career

@ChefOfAllSeason Keep in mind that there are a variety of different pros on Thumbtack who have different experiences and situations. Some work in offices, some work out of their home, some have teams and some fly solo.
This information is relevant for anyone who works with people. As professionals, you may have customers who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community and these tips were shared to help people become an ally to those individuals.

0 Kudos
dordax
Level 4

Do you have posts like this for other marginalized groups?
Moderator Meckell

Great question @dordax. If you check out this post, you'll see that we're going to be bringing in a variety of our Employee Resource Groups to the Community. We've started with Proudtacks (for LGBTQIA) and TackVets (for Veterans). 

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell, @AlbertH 

I do understand that this post is to help Pros try to become allies to members of this community, but it is a difficult topic for many.

I'm the only employee in my business, so it really doesn't pertain to me in the workplace, but perhaps when in public. But I know how to conduct myself in public, as I've been a part of many events trough the years, and conducting myself in a professional manner is the only way that I know how to work.

To expand on this topic, There aren't many Pros who want to offer their services to that group because of religious beliefs, no matter what the laws may state.  Is there a check box, or someplace in their request for a Pro,  that any member of the LGBTQIA+ community that Pros can see when searching for Pros. A check box in the preferences may help, then those Pros who aren't comfortable, have the option of having that preference checked off or not.

DJ Stevie 11-30-2019

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie adding a checkbox would be a violation of our Non-Discrimination Policy so it is not a consideration.

0 Kudos