results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
cranichik
Level 8

Has anyone been contacted by HomeGuide, a copycat of thumbtack?

Somehow I got linked to HomeGuide.com, another site like thumbtack. Except, it was EXACTLY like thumbtack. Same website, same pictures, same forms to fill out, etc. Absolutely no difference! I believe this is a sister company to thumbtack and this is where our quote money is going---to support their new business. Everyone please check this out before thumbtack deletes this.

Occupations (1)
States
16 responses
Moderator Jordan

Re: Has anyone been contacted by HomeGuide, a copycat of thumbtack?

Hey there, I'm glad you brought this up. There are tons of sites out there that have copied our layout and none of them are owned by nor do we partner with any of them. They're strictly copycats.

The only comments that get removed are those that go against our Community Guidelines. Our goal is to keep this place where everyone feels comfortable posting. In order to do that, we want to follow these guidelines.

AGC
Level 5

@Jordan yes I saw an ad on facebook and signed right up. I'm really curious whos behind homeguid since it's exactly like thumtack. I'm really not worried if thumbtack owns them, its not really my business where they spend their money. I see alot of people don't like the new prices, I'm not a big fan since they increasted almost 4x for me. But as a contractor I can tell you that before I had to pay just to send a message to a potential client. There were a lot of non serious clients and I would waste a lot of money. Now clients just contact me and are WAY more interested and I'm closing alot more leads. The $60 price per lead is worth it for me, vs $15 back then. 

My question is are you guys taking legal action against these copycats?
0 Kudos
catmaven
Level 6

Lorainchimney, does it matter about copyright infringment? If it works for us pro's who have been decimated businesswise by TT's changes, I saw let it go and climb on board and some more cash influx into our respective small businesses.

If that's the case of HomeGuide being an exact copy of TT, maybe that's where we need to go? Providing that they are helping the pros get their name out in the local community and not overcharging or hiding the cost to the pros?
Moderator Meckell

@Diehl_mitchell we definitely want Thumbtack to work for everyone. I know that pricing threw a wrench in things, but as we promised, we're working on it. We just started showing prices up front to some pros to see before they decide to send a quote. We're working hard to make this available for all pros, stay tuned!

0 Kudos
Usedtobegood
Level 5

Pricing needs to go back down to the rates that existed before the change. If you truly want to help small business and entrepreneurs the prices need to reflect that. The risk-reward ratio has changed drastically in the wrong direction for far too many pros. You are pricing qualified companies and individuals out of bidding on certain jobs that used to cost 1/4 of the price or less to bid on. 

Any updates on when more changes might be made?

jennar
Level 5

Yes, exactly like Thumbtack...word for word on it's forms. ! big difference. They charge exactly what Thumbtack charged in the beginning. ..$1.67 per credit. Remember those good old days.

I've already gotten 4 jobs in December from HomeGuide.  Total cost, less than $10 !!