Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Have a question for Marco?

Solved! Jump to solution
On Thursday, March 21st, we'll be hosting a live Q&A with Thumbtack CEO and co-founder, Marco Zappacosta (@MarcoZ).

Post your question here for a chance to win $100 in Thumbtack credit. Terms apply.

Want to know what we're working on at Thumbtack? Interested in learning more about our vision and strategy?

Marco will answer some of your questions live during the Q&A on March 21st.

All other questions will get a written response in the days that follow. Our moderation team is on hand to answer support questions, too.

Thanks for all that you do!
10 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Thumbtack Employee MarcoZ
Thumbtack Employee

Re: Have a question for Marco?

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for your question, @RejWrksCarolina.  And congratulations on being a Top Pro. 

I understand how frustrating it can be when potential clients don’t respond. I also understand that, as a small business owner, the money you spend is not an insignificant amount.

We are working hard to make sure that we get you the best leads possible, including improving targeting and the client experience, refining pricing and preferences, and much more. Our work is in service of ensuring that you have a solid return on your investment in Thumbtack.

Unfortunately, no matter what we do, there will always be clients who don’t respond - it’s just a fact of life. We are doing our best to make sure this happens less, but when it does happen, here are some tips.

The key is to make sure you are winning enough jobs overall to make your investment in Thumbtack worthwile, even if some individual leads don't pan out.

Our team is also available to offer tips and recommendations that might help you see more responses from customers. Send a private message to @Meckell or @Kameron if you're interested. At the end of the day, we want you to get hired!

Thanks to the other pros who asked related questions about unresponsive customers: 

@Lai @GailGutenmann @Patriotdoor @Kelvin @Peoplespainter @AAW @Kathryn @MR @Soe @rgyanks @Fee @BrokawLawn @MeridithAlexand @Mad_Dash_Art @JHampOfficiant @NickCavallaro @EJ @WendeePease @805_AV_Design @Chef_Aneva @RickB @ChefTanya @KevinSPhoto @Travelagent01 @Markoharps @Bdservices @Kayticlayton @wincincala2 @lclifephotos @handsonmusicllc @Blanche @CharlesL @RD @JakeCarter @StoriesUpSTL 

View solution in original post

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for your question, @RD.  And thanks for your service.   

Thumbtack’s ultimate goal is the same as yours - we want to help you get to the next step with your customer. And we understand that sometimes the fastest way to get a potential client to commit to a next step is through phone call or email. However, we currently do not require a phone number, because many clients are not interested in starting conversations that way.  

We believe a better way to get to that key next step is to gather all the job information we can from the potential clients up front, provide that information to you, and then help connect you to the potential clients. We are working hard to get more clients connected to you right in the app, where you can seal the deal and win the job. After all, when clients connect with and hire amazing pros - whether it's in the app or over the phone - we all win.

Thanks to the other pros who asked related questions about getting contact information from customers:

@TanaCorporon @AFPMAGIC512 @SunsetPhoto @eliascurtis @Hankster @thebabyfish1 @RD @Stetnie 

0 Kudos
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

There were a few questions related to quick replies, so I thought I'd address those here.

There is no way around it - we all expect a quick and easy experience whenever we go online. Potential clients on Thumbtack are no different, which means we need to provide them with the tools they need to get to you as quickly as possible. They are busy just like you! That's why we created quick replies; to make it easier for them to reach out and move to hire pros like you. 

We also provide pros like you with similarly convenient tools - Saved Replies - so that you can save time when responding to clients. We know you wear a lot of hats and that your time is limited, and we have incorporated that feedback into this new tool. You can see more information about that change here.

Some of the frustration around quick replies is often related to frustration around customer responsiveness more broadly.  We understand how frustrating it can be when a potential client doesn’t respond after they have sent a reply - whether it's a quick reply or a custom reply. We are working on ways to better engage our customers and better connect them to you. We have heard some great feedback on this topic from our pros - and we are working to incorporate that feedback to make Thumbtack even better for you. In the meantime, check out this helpful article. And keep the feedback coming! We're listening closely on this topic in particular. 

Thanks to these pros who asked related questions and shared their thoughts about quick replies:

@Kathryn @Marty_Stump @Hankster @DJStevie @lclifephotos @zona5101 @StoriesUpSTL 

0 Kudos
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for this question, @Batkitty5961. And congrats on those 144 hires, that's awesome!

Our Community moderators, @Meckell and @Kameron, can look at your account and provide more information, but I wanted to respond more broadly on your point about setting preferences.

Ultimately, we want to make sure you get the jobs you want. The best way to do that is to set your preferences.  When you set your preferences, you are telling us exactly which jobs you always want to do.

And when you tell us which jobs you always want, we know that means you’ll respond quickly and provide great customer service. So we’ll know to show you in search results for the right customers. When you get a lead that exactly matches your preferences, you’ll pay automatically and get 20% off. This works well for many of our pros - and it will continue to get better and better.

But we also understand that it doesn’t work for everyone and that we have a lot to do to make it better. In the meantime, we want all of our pros to have as many opportunities as possible. Your travel radius will be automatically set at 150 miles if your preferences are not set.  But you still have all of the freedom you had before to pick and choose only the jobs you want to do.  You just might need to pass or decline those that you don't want.  Put another way, without setting your preferences, you’ll still get leads, but they may not be exactly what you want (and you’ll pay full price).

I'll also note that because of feedback from pros like you, in the next few weeks, we’re adding the capability to sort the opportunities you see in the Jobs tab by distance. Hopefully this helps, too.

For more info check out this article.

Thanks to the other pros who asked related questions about preferences and travel area: 

@Lai @ChefZacki @Raptorvalley @Buster @MeridithAlexand @Phil65011 @EJ @805_AV_Design @Bossbabe @DJStevie @1Silverfox @Kartisme01 @Howardlbca @sttnyc @Stetnie @bev @StoriesUpSTL @LindaZ 

0 Kudos
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks, @davidwarner . And congrats on being a Top Pro!

I know there have been a lot of questions about our pricing, so I'll do my best to answer them all together.

Just as I’m sure you’re often fine tuning your pricing for your customers, we are doing the same. Today our pricing is based on a few things: what types of jobs are being requested, what those jobs are worth to our pros, how many pros offer those services, how many customers are requesting those services, and how serious the customer is. We know it isn’t perfect, and in some cases our prices are too high.  But we’re doing our best to find a fair price, that makes good business sense for our pros, and for Thumbtack.

However, we are not experts in every single category, and that is where your feedback is so important. If you feel prices are too high, tell us why. Use this online forum to explain how you price jobs, how often you need to bid on a job to get a hire, how good your ROI is on Thumbtack, etc.  Everything you post gets back to the team. We’re listening.

Finally, this isn't directed at you, @davidwarner, but for other pros who might be struggling: I suggest using all of the tools at your disposal here in this forum, as well as in our Help Center, to make sure you are getting the most out of Thumbtack. Make sure you are doing everything you can to win the job whenever you get a new lead, to make the price worthy of your investment!  I’d suggest this article on polishing your profile and this one on responding to customers as great places to start.

But most importantly, please keep the feedback coming on pricing. We're working hard on this front in particular. 

Thanks to the other pros who asked related questions about what goes into pricing:

@Puneetsghai @Kelvin @AAW @davidwarner @Kathryn @ChefZacki @SaraO @TanaCorporon @Sandman @EJ @SunsetPhoto @Chef_Aneva @WideOpen0097 @sm00thm00d @RickB @ChefTanya @Travelagent01 @Vegasminister @mrnatural803 @Lekco @wincincala2 @luckynlove @jcp @Patriotdoor @djeasycee @jrcgolf @HLProductions @Peoplespainter 

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks, @Bossbabe.  I just peeked at your reviews and they're great. Well done!

Let me respond by talking about our refund policy generally:

We try to be as accurate as we can when matching you with potential jobs. We are doing our best to make sure every lead you pay for is worth it. If you feel that a lead wasn’t worth the price, or if you feel we matched you with the wrong job, check out our refund help. You’ll be able to read what leads are eligible for a refund, and what to do to make that happen.

In fact, we have recently improved this process to make it even easier for our pros, and that is all thanks to your feedback! We’re now giving pros the ability to request refunds directly from your Thumbtack account. This means you no longer have to spend time calling our support team when there is a problem with a charge. Once you dispute your charge through the Help with a charge link, you can get back to running your business while we look into your case.  Then, we’ll email you in 2-3 business days to let you know if your charge qualifies for a refund under our policy.  Learn more about this update here.

Beyond that, if you have specific questions about specific cases or situations, definitely reach out to @Meckell and @Kameron. They're in the best position to help.  

Thank you to the other pros who asked related questions about refunds. @Kelvin @lai @MeridithAlexand @NickCavallaro @EJ @KevinSPhoto @TrainerDad 

0 Kudos
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing this, @TanaCorporon. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful post. 

First and foremost, I just want to note quickly that we're still based in Utah.  Our Salt Lake City office is the home of many of our most crucial teams and function areas. 

Beyond that, let me say that I hate to hear that you aren't seeing the same success that you used to.

At the end of the day, we’re your partners and we are in this with you: if you aren’t succeeding, then we aren’t succeeding either. Teams of people are working day and night to make sure you have all of the tools you need to find success on Thumbtack. We’re rooting for you.

If you aren’t finding success on Thumbtack, let’s find out why. Check out all of the tools at your fingertips or contact us through our support channels. Ultimately, we want you to succeed and we’ll help you do that. We want you to get a lot of leads and we want you to get hired as much as you can handle.

You should also look to each other and support one another! That’s what this Community is ultimately all about - that’s why we created it.  Check out these SelfMade stories and these inspiring posts from pros like you, who have found success here. Try posting your own question, or replying to another pro’s thread.  Poke around. There are a ton of great tips and great advice coming from other pros, and we’d love for you to share some of your own, too.

Finally, if you have thoughts on what, specifically, we should change or what, specifically, isn't working, then we're all ears.  We know that Thumbtack isn't perfect. So share you're feedback here. Everything posted in this Community gets recorded and shared back with the relevant teams.

I hope that helps.  And of course, don't hesitate to reach out to our moderators, @Meckell and @Kameron, if you have more specific questions about your account. We're all here to help. 

Thanks again. 

Thank you to the other pros who also shared related questions about finding success. @lar @Kelvin @Nnservices @lai @CSID-Inc @AlikiKibouri @LindaZ @K-9 @BeDeCluttered @MR @jcp @rgyanks @JHampOfficiant @RichieKaye @Travelagent01 @Vegasminister @wincincala2 @Patriotdoor @handsonmusicllc @Blanche @zona5101 @Kartisme01 

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for this question, @vaughn.  And thanks for all of your partnership with our team. We're really proud to have you as one of our first TackMasters on Thumbtack.

There were a few questions about what we're working on, so let me try to answer all of those together:

Ultimately, the main things on our roadmap are some of the things I’ve mentioned elsewhere on this thread: improving targeting so that you can get more of the right types of jobs, improving lead quality so that you get value out of Thumbtack, improving profiles so that you can better showcase your work (and make Thumbtack feel more personal!), and improving prices so that they’re fair.  

At the end of the day, we know we have a lot of work to do to set you up for success and give you the tools you need to build your business on Thumbtack.  That’s where we’re focused.

Beyond that, we want to grow, too.  We want to make Thumbtack a household name and a branded destination.  We want to make it the first and only place anyone would ever go to hire a great pro for whatever project they might have on their to-do list.  In doing so, we’ll get more customers using Thumbtack, which means more jobs for you all.

But as I mentioned above: we’re in this together.  We can’t succeed unless you succeed. And that’s why you got to keep the feedback coming.  What else should be on the roadmap? Where else would you like to see us focus? What can we do to make Thumbtack feel more personal as we grow?

Thanks to the other pros who asked related questions about where we're headed @FranciscaRogelZ @bg @Drummerpro @lar @aai-sanantonio @SharonM7 @LZDNVG @MidknightGenius 

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

This is good feedback, @VicZ. Thank you. We'll make sure it gets passed along to the relevant teams.

I'll also take this as an opportunity to say something you already know: You are the experts in your field. And so, we always want to hear from you. If there is something that could be improved in your specific category, let us know.  We have an entire team - the Category Management team - that’s focused on improving Thumbtack for specific categories and industries. They want to hear from you, and they monitor the Community.

One ask: when giving us your feedback, please be as specific as possible. For example: telling us, “Prices are too high” or “Customers don’t give us enough info” is not enough information for us to take action on. We need to know the what and the why and the how. Tell us what isn’t working, why it isn’t working, and how we could improve it.

The more detail you provide us in your feedback, the more action our teams can take.

Also, keep in mind that we have hundreds of thousands of pros, in nearly a thousand categories across the entire country. While we can’t take every suggestion we get from our pros, we do hear every piece of feedback. We then synthesize that feedback and decide where, and when, we can take action to make the greatest impact for our pros.

One of our priorities is to increase the transparency around what we’re working on, and the Community is a great place to stay informed.  We have a Product News & Updates board, where we post about all major product announcements.  And we’ve just started publishing a monthly round-up summarizing these announcements.  Check out the March roundup here.

The bottom line is that you are the ones using Thumbtack, and we need it to work for you. So, please keep your feedback coming.

Thanks for all that you do.

@Jay360 @ChefZacki @SunsetPhoto @WendeePease @JMJ-Locksmith @WideOpen0097 @VicZ @TrainerDad @Hankster @AlohaServices @DJStevie @bridalqn @Patriotdoor @JasmineWorrell @bridalqn 
Thank you to you all for the feedback you shared regarding your specific categories. 

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

There have been a few questions about the calendar, so let me try to respond to some of those together:

I know it can be extremely frustrating when you are matched with a job on a date where you are not available. Be sure that you are using all of the tools available to you in your Thumbtack account to keep your calendar up to date. Remember that the calendar feature is a separate feature from your business hours.

Q&A!.png

If you are still matched with a job on a date where you were marked as busy, please go to our new in-product refund help and let us know. We'll take care of it.

As for the ability to sync with other calendars, we are working on this, thanks to feedback we’ve received from many of you. 

Overall, updating your calendar and other functionality related to availability is definitely a priority of ours. So stay tuned for more news here soon. And if you have specific questions about your calendar or availability, let @Meckell and @Kameron know. They'll also log all of the feedback you've shared about calendar and availability, so that it gets passed along to the relevant teams.

Thanks again for participating and please keep the questions coming!

Also, thank you to these pros who asked related questions about calendar and availability @Lai  @JHampOfficiant @pastadeej @JeCroisbeauty @Markoharps @lclifephotos @bev @TrainerDad @LindaZ 

348 responses

Solved! Jump to solution

What's the longterm plan for TT? Going public or getting sold?

jrcgolf
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

why have you raised my price for a 45 min golf lesson 95%

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@jrcgolf how recently did you notice this change in price? It could be that we now charge when a customer reaches out or responds to you as opposed to before where we'd charge a pro for each quote they sent out. Did you notice this with one job specifically or have you noticed a more overall trend?

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
Hello- my biggest issue is that -I pay a fee to make a bid ( BUT - then there is proof that no one ever responds you can see my messages ) it’s not that I lost the sale - I never heard from them -

So I’m out $22-27 because someone didn’t feel like bothering to write me back ? That should be an automatic refund - treat us like the pros we are ....... no one will ever want to quote if we are tossing money away like that
ChefTanya
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Agree. I do not hear from possible clients that I've paid in advance for the quote. Are these real requests?

Highlighted
Lai
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I m thinking the same thing......
EJ
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Completely agree with this! And another flaw is agreeing to "promote" your business, you get the 20% discount but are charged even if the potential client never replies to you! And the prices are outrageous!
THEPack
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
And i had two today that i had to pay for that weren't in my "specific area"
Lai
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
It keeps happening to me as well...and even when client writes “I ll travel to the pro” and then they won’t you still pay for the quote!
0 Kudos