Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

How a potential job thought I was in Georgia (I'm in NYC)

As a Thumbtack pro, I see a lot of absurd job offers, as if it's worth it for me to check the power supply on a desktop computer across the country, or possible to swap a laptop screen over the phone. 

This is a problem I think Thumbtack should address. And now I have some documentation:  Someone I know in GA was clearly led to believe I was a LOCAL pro.  I'm in NY.

Take a look: she started with a Google search for iMac repair:
fullsizeoutput_6d2.jpeg
Thumbtack, your ad clearly suggests a click will lead to LOCAL pros ("Near Me"). But I'm in NY, not GA.

So she clicks, and sees....ME!  ...and a zip code in GA which I'm nowhere near.

fullsizeoutput_6d3.jpeg

Now, I am really happy with being listed at all, prominently, and with the phrase "in high demand" (or do you put that for all higher-priced pros?).  It's great to show up in Google search results too.

But it sure looks here like I'm in the GA zip code of 30004, doesn't it?  I sure am not.

Naturally, she clicks on this in-demand pro, who seems to be nearby.  But the location is again dead wrong; maybe it was put there by geolocating her IP address, but it sure looks here like I'm in GA. And I'm really not. 

So you get a dissatisfied potential Thumbtack user.   I don't think this outcome benefits anyone.

fullsizeoutput_6d5.jpeg

States
32 responses

Re: How a potential job thought I was in Georgia (I'm in NYC)

Yep this happens with my profile as well. Flat out wonky.
0 Kudos
RCPS
Level 7

Just yesterday, I closed a new client (might I add, my first client in months with Thumbtack since the platform changes) and I inquired about what her experience was using Thumbtack. I was genuinely curious to understand what the ‘other’ user experience is like.

She expressed that it was very confusing because in the search results list produced from her job details, there were a lot of non-local Pros weaved into the local search. She told me that she explicitly wanted referrals that physically are in our region and not anyone that was virtual. As such, her job details indicated that. She did NOT select the option to have a remote Pros sent her way. Yet, they were there from different states. Quite a few of them. And the most frustrating part is that once she noticed this, she had to open each and every profile to determine the location of the Pro because that info isn’t displayed in the snapshot view of list (as shown in @Mac_House_Calls image above).

I’m so glad that she took the time to discover that I was local to her and she ultimately hired me. However, it was an eye opener to learn about her experience. If most leads specify their location preference to not include remote folks, yet the Promote function is serving up a cornucopia of everyone’s profile regardless of location AND they have to take an extra step to open each profile to determine the actual location, it’s no wonder that Pros are not receiving leads. This will prevent leads from initiating conversations with potential Pros because they will just get frustrated and not take any further action.

This, too, needs to be fixed.

Tagging @Meckell so this feedback can be sent to the developer team.

Thank you @RCPS!  I didn't know that was needed--to tag a moderator, like @Meckell.   Thought moderators were always there, kindly chipping in as needed. 

This really is a problem, and doesn't look good for Thumbtack. 

Moderator Kameron

@Mac_House_Calls sorry for the delayed response. We have seen a few cases of this and our teams are working to correct the issue. I'd like to look further into your example specifically. Can you tell me the date that the customer attempted the search and gave the screenshots you included? 

0 Kudos

Yes, December 29th. Thanks!

Hi @Kameron

Any updates on this? 

Today I was contacted by two potential clients who don't seem to realize I'm far away in NYC.  One, in North Carolina, reached out even though his travel preferences say nothing about telephone or remote.

Oh, look here, he just now replied to my reponse:

"Thanks but we need someone local. Not sure why when I entered my Zip that they would have referred to NYC."   

Thumbtack got my $4, but the customer got embarrasing web programming and we both got frustration.  Is this what Thumbtack wants? 

Moderator Kameron

@Mac_House_Calls that's certainly frustrating to hear. I'll be looking into this contact specifically and sending you a direct message with some additional information.

0 Kudos
RCPS
Level 7

Hi @Mac_House_Calls, yep!  While the mods do proactively check the message board, some messages get lost in the fold.  If there's anything specific we'd like to call out or get feedback on, it's totally okay to tag them. Smiley Wink

Moderator Kameron

@RCPS thank you for flagging us on this. This sounds possibly more like an isolated customer issue, but I definitely want to investigate further to be sure. If you can send me a direct message including the customers name and any examples they may have shared with you I'll get started.