results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Moderator Kameron

Re: How a potential job thought I was in Georgia (I'm in NYC)

@CompleteWeb I'd like to take a look into both of those contacts that you've mentioned. If you'll please send me a direct message with both names of those customers I'd appreciate it. 

0 Kudos

Everyone here seems nice, and Thumbtack has helped most or all of us, so kudos all around.

But I'm pretty sure, @Kameron,  that "to take a look into both of those contacts" (of @CompleteWeb) will not help. The problem is with search results.  Perhaps these results are in Google ads.  And perhaps Thumbtack moderators, and even Thumbtack techs, can't help, because this is not their department.

When I've mentioned this in response to "Tell us why [you declined]" I've gotten help desk responses that also don't hit the mark, or else they're clueless; things like "you can decline," "I can see you were not charged,"or "you can change your preferences."

I think this is worse for Thumbtack and its customers than it is for me and other pros. 

As a reminder, two or three contacts have confirmed that indeed I showed up as located in their home town.

Here's another example of a potential client, about whom Thumbtack tells me, "Bob has only contacted you!"  It's pretty clear he thinks I am near Dallas. It's been 10 hours, and still, Bob has only contacted me.  Sorry to dissapoint you Bob.  Thumbtack didn't do right by Bob...and most of the potential customers who contact me through Thumbtack.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 00.26.44 AM.png

Moderator Meckell

@Mac_House_Calls we indeed understand your issue and we're definitely looking into it. The screenshot you provided is helpful for our team to look into as an example, thanks for sharing that! Your situation in particular has been passed along to our Product Team. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks @MeckellNote that the several screenshots I put at the very beginning of this thread are just as good, maybe better.  They also establish a start date for the problem (must have started earlier still, but whatever).

As to passing along my situation in particular, thanks, and if it helps, great.   But it's a general problem. (What might set me apart, if anything, is how I documented it.)

For me, the way forward is clear:  I'll assume that when contacts reach out, it's almost always based on misleading search results and I'll decline.  If in doubt, I'll decline. 

As potential customers get used to  Thumbtack contacts going nowhere, it's not good for Thumbtack, I think. But only a minor hassle for me, not a big deal.

CompleteWeb
Level 5

No exactly sure how to send you a direct message.

The 2 contacts located in the Chigago area did say they were looking for local. These 2 contacts I was actually able to get on the phone to hear them out. Now that the system has changed, a majority of potential customers that seem interested by requesting a quote or a time to chat but never respond. I am assuming one of the main reasons is that after they click the button to contact me they see that I am not local and do not respond. This means I am paying close to $60 per request that is unqualified. My marketing budget would be beter spent elsewhere if this does not change soon.

Moderator Meckell

@CompleteWeb You can send @Kameron a private message by going to his profile here and then selecting direct message. Send him the name of the customers and he'll dig into your profile and see what he can do to help. Let us know if you have any other questions! 

0 Kudos
Daniel_O
Level 7

Good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. 

So far, in February, I've received six leads from customers who specified that they wanted to meet in person, but they live out of state. In my introduction, I state that I live in Los Angeles; most customers do not even take the time to read the first line of my profile.

The most frustrating part is when I decline one of those leads, thumbtack asks me to tell them why. If I select "job is too far", thumbtack tells me to consider updating my travel preferences. Why not update the system, so I never get the lead in the first place?

I've suggested multiple times that a pro's location needs to be clearly visible - it should show up alongside the name and photo in a search. And, if a customer is looking to only meet in person, then thumbtack should only display pros who live in their area.

Thumbtack needs to fix this. It's wasting customers' time and pros' time.

CompleteWeb
Level 5

Based on responses from the moderators in various threads here and the lack of this very easy fix (I.E. uncheck "Phone & Internet" by defualt) I am concluding that this is profit realted. Thumbtack is benifiting in the short term here from these irrelivant contacts. They may be making more money now from the way this is set-up but the pros will not stick around if this continues. There are other options to spend our marketing budget.

I see your point  @CompleteWeb , but even removing phone and internet as a default won't fix most of it.  Contacts who think a Pro is local must figure they don't have to look for phone or internet help.

0 Kudos
CompleteWeb
Level 5

Then they also need to put city state under profile name.