Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
MR
Level 10

How does Thumbtack verify their pro's credentials?

While scanning the TT pros list I saw something that is a bit concerning - and this is not the first time this has been seen.

Looking at the category of Tax Attorneys in my area I found at least one in the top 6 pros who is not an attorney. She is likely a very qualified financial advisor and CPA, but she is not an attorney. I went to her website and there is indeed no mention of her having the credentials of an attorney while her other academic credentials are listed. For the sake of privacy I will not disclose here which pro I am speaking of.

That said, in Illinois (and likely all states) anybody advertising to be an attorney when they are not is committing a crime and subject to stiff penalties. 

Now, if this pro is intentionally listing themself in the attorney category, they are indeed breaking the law. If they are just showing up in search and did not choose that category, Thumbtack has some serious work to do to protect these pros as I do know that many state bars scan these boards regurlarly for compliance checks. 

I urge Thumbtack to look into this asap not only for my category but for all regulated categories.

5 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: How does Thumbtack verify their pro's credentials?

@MR I'd love to look into this further to better understand the situation. Will you send me a private message with the pros name as well as the zip code you did your search in to find this pro?

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

@Meckell All I will say is that the search was for "Tax Attorney" in zip 60010. There is no need for me to disclose the individual's name as I expect TT would be able to locate it quite easily.

@MR I have a similar situation in the ranking for my professsion; albeit not as severe as the one you posted. It seems rather silly, but a Justice of the Peace is listed high in the ranking among Caterers. This Pro is not by any means a Caterer. There is also a commercial cleaning service in the ranking, too. Naturally they have engaged Promote, but somehow were placed inaccurately.

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

I too have a similar issue. As a licensed Home Inspector in Illinois, I search for my category on Thumbtack and I find a plumber, a couple of electricians, and a chimney sweep listed in the category of Home Inspection. A search of the State registration site finds none of these tradesmen licensed as a Home Inspector. While these contractors may never take a home inspection job, they are still interfering with a fair ranking on Thumbtack for my company and all other licensed Home Inspectors in Illinois.

More to the point, Thumbtack is listing these Pros as "license verified" when actually they are licensed as something other than a Home Inspector such as a plumber, electrician, or a chimney sweep. By doing this, Thumbtack is misleading the customers by identify these Pros as "License Verified" The down side for me is that TT is no longer verifying Home Inspectors, so no verifification appears for me. All I get from Thumbtack is a workaround that forces me to append "Licensed Home Inspector" onto my name and write "My State of Illinois Home Inspector license is #450.011545 which expires on 11-30-2020. " into my profile. While my competitors remain incorrectly verified by Thumbtack.

This is not unique to Illinois. This is happening throughout the entire country in any state that requires Home Inspectors to be licenced. 

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Kameron

@MR @ChefOfAllSeason if certain pros are showing up for categories secondary or contrary to their title, the most likely scenario would be that they've actually chosen to list that service. I think the best way to look further into this would be for you to contact our support teams where you can share any names or further information and where the topic can be discussed in more depth. 

0 Kudos