Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
DJStevie
Level 12

Re: I believe that Thumbtacks "Ranking" system is unethical

@Kameron, @Meckell , @taylor 

No disrespect, but when you say "The system we now have in place is a similar system used widely across many different marketing platform sites where businesses pay and compete to be shown to potential clients, except for on Thumbtack you only pay when a customer reaches out to you." What is the similarity between Thumbtack and other marketing platforms? Please explain.

From what I see, the 5 other sites that I advertise on are very different than Thumbtack. They don't charge us until Pros view "customer" profile, event info and lead cost first, THEN charge us when we send quote/message to "customer".  Thumbtack was like that prior to Promote, and to a degree, still is via Jobs Tab.

But at Thumbtack we get charged with the so called conversation starters, then we get ghosted after we reply. We lose out on the cost of leads because more often than not, the leads are valid as it falls within TT non-refundable guidelines.

Question, what is Thumbtack doing to improve Promote? Or better yet, what is Thumbtack doing to help Pros receive quality leads again?

DJ Stevie 7-12-2019

Philbomb
Level 6

Thanks for yor response.  You stated that on occasion you ( and I) "get ghosted...." by clients after we answer the lead.  In my case, conservativly I would estimate that that happens with 2 out of 5 clients responded to.   Factors such as this are advantagous for Thumbtack, and detrimental to the Pro's.  "Money talks", and if you don't want your business to hemorrahge that money; and stop auto-quote, Thumbtack will basically force you to "walk", by not allowing your business exposue to potential clients.

DJStevie
Level 12

@Philbomb
You're very welcome.
If I get any so called leads, which is very rare, I get ghosted after I reply. Exception is today as I sent quote via Jobs tab where "customer" replied and possibly wants to hire me.
So, the old way of seeing the information that I commented earlier, still works, just like on the other sites that I advertise with.
What is difficult for Thumbtack to understand?
DJ Stevie 7-12-2019
Highlighted
cranichik
Level 8

All of the above reasons are why I can't use promote. Clients do not fill out the requests thoroughly, and I am very specific with what I can and cannot do. I can't afford to waste money, just to find out the lead is useless. If I get a decent request in the jobs tab, I will manually quote.

alaaab2554
Level 4

Hi, Can you please let me know, what is the  5 other sites website you have to get a job?. thanks

0 Kudos
Philbomb
Level 6

"Aside from actual leads we’ll let you know of secondary opportunities through the Jobs tab at up to 150 miles from you. These aren’t customers that contacted you directly, but another pro. However, we list these jobs in that window for pros to express interest in as well and will only charge if the customer responds."

I also have an issue with this "feature".  My travel parameters are set at 25 miles.  Thumbtack will not allow my profile to be seen by customers within my stated travel paramaters, but "flood" my business in-box with jobs like this:  

Nancy P. is looking for Dog Training in South Pasadena 91030

If I Google Map South Pasadena from my zip code 92675, travel time to this location is 1 hour and 21 minutes UNLESS I pay "tolls".  Please tell me how this indicates that Thumbtack values me as a vendor, or especially as a"Top Pro".   In the mean time, my In-box is "flooded" with useless emails containing useless leads.

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

I turned on Promote and my PROFILE RANK WENT DOWN

I was working to improve my profile rank and suddenly my rank dropped from #8 before I made the change to Promote and now after I made the change I am at #10. Yesterday I was at #5.

I will never be able to trust anything that Thumbtack tells us about Promote.

And the DEMO that shows us how we rank returns a different result than the ranking that is shown to the customers.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
DJStevie
Level 12

Re: I turned on Promote and my PROFILE RANK WENT DOWN

@HansenJC
It depends on how often we turn Promote on and off. I had turned it off, then back on, and ended up going from number 1 to number 3 to 5 in some locations. Guess we have to keep it on 24/7 to keep our profile high ranking.
DJ Stevie 7-29-2019
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: I turned on Promote and my PROFILE RANK WENT DOWN

Further study indicates that when I run the DEMO it assumes that I am doing a query in the same zip code and for the exact same job parameters of the job I am looking at.

Then I tested a query for the same zip code  but did not select a particular size of job and I suddenly become aware that SIZE MATTERS!

What has the size of the job got to do with my profile? I will be the same home inspector for a 4,000S.F. job as I am for a 2,000S.F. job. What exactly has the job size got to do with the quality of my work.

EVERY ONE OF MY 10 REVIEW IS FIVE STARS.

EVERY CUSTOMER THAT I SERVE IS TOTALLY SATISFIED WITH MY WORK.

And still I will never rank higher than 5 or 8 or 10. And there is no logic in where I rank.

ALL THE SAME PROS SHOW UP IN ALL THE ZIP CODES I QUERY.

Why does a zip code change my rank? Does Thumbtack think my quality goes down (or up) based on where I work?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections