results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

International Women's Day!

It's International Women's Day today - let's talk about all of the amazing women on this platform.

Did you know that women are 5 times more likely to have their expertise questioned in all industries, and 10 times more likely to have their expertise questioned in male-dominated industries?!

Let's talk about Jessica, owner of JPaints Utah, an interior painting company and Top Pro in Utah. She feels completely at home on scaffolding, climbing a ladder, moving equipment or doing any other thing that needs to be done. She says that while being a woman sometimes works to her disadvantage, because people do question her expertise - it also makes some people more likely to hire her, because she does stand out in a male-dominated field.  She has overcome great odds to get to where she is today and is now one of the highest rated and most hired painting companies in her area. 

Or how about Sarah, Top Pro and owner of Rooforia in Nebraska - when she first started her company she was hesitant to market herself, because she thought people wouldn't take her seriously as a woman. She quickly learned that being a woman in the roofing industry was a compelling story - and that customers felt they could trust and relate to her. Her company is now one of Omaha's largest roofing companies.

And can we please talk about the incredible women in this video?

I hope we can all take a moment to celebrate each other, today and every day.

For more interesting statistics on female business owners, check out this article. 

Tell me about your business - what are some of your struggles and successes? What do you do to overcome gender biases in your field?

3 responses
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Re: International Women's Day!

@JpaintsUtah@Sarah-Rooforia, any other thoughts you'd like to add ---- being experts at building successful businesses?!

lpuente
Level 4

For those that haven't already checked it out, I highly recommend taking a look at our new Build Her Up report that discusses the experiences of female small business owners across the U.S.

Through this survey, we found that most women who work for themselves feel like they’re in a better economic situation than if they were working for someone else:

• 54 percent say they’re less susceptible to the gender pay gap
  • 58 percent say they’re less likely to experience workplace discrimination
  • 70 percent say their potential for career growth is better than if they worked for someone else.

On the other hand, our respondents also revealed the challenges that come with being a self-employed woman in the local services sector; for example, 48 percent of those in traditionally male-dominated industries (i.e., those in which fewer than two-in-five of our respondents identify as female) say they’ve had their expertise questioned on the job because of their gender, compared to only 5 percent of men. 

I'd love to hear more stories of what it's been like being a female small business owner - so feel free to share your experiences below.

Moderator Meckell

So awesome @lpuente! 

0 Kudos