results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Thumbtack Employee Travis_Turner
Thumbtack Employee

Introducing Top Pro Tips!

One of our favorite parts of the Pro Community is when pros are sharing their experiences and success tips with each other. Thumbtack only succeeds when you succeed, and we’re always on the lookout for stories and examples to highlight from you that could be useful knowledge for other pros.

We recently hosted an event for home industry pros in Philadelphia, and while there we met up with @LZDNVG. We asked her a few questions about her business and her tips for success on Thumbtack, and we’re excited to share some of her knowledge with the community today in the first of a series of Top Pro Tips vignettes.

Follow up with unresponsive customers - Laura told us her strategy and the ROI she gets when following up with customers who go silent after the first message. And we know this is something that’s working for a lot of you, @CLGPatrick posted something similar in this post.

Standing out in search results - Now that customers are finding pros through search results, Laura mentions how she promotes her business to help her ranking, and how she keeps customers intrigued once they’ve found her.

Big thanks to Laura and all of you who share your knowledge so freely with each other! Keep an eye out for more tips from Laura and other Top Pros on the community and throughout Thumbtack.

And let us know what you think! What other tips and tricks would be useful for you to hear from other pros directly? Let us know in the comments below.

15 responses
ReeseTee
Level 7

Re: Introducing Top Pro Tips!

Good to know. Especially now that Thumbtack has taken away our ability to send follow up messages.

Really helpful tip. Thanks ever so much.

Moderator Kameron

@ReeseTee I want to clarify that pros can follow up for jobs and leads where the customer has reached out or responded for the first time. The only follow-up functionality that was removed was for those quotes you sent through the Jobs tab and have yet to hear back from the customer. 

0 Kudos
ReeseTee
Level 7

Having had a chance to calm down:  Losing the ability to SPAM a ghost is not the end of the world.

BUT: just have to say; morale in the Pro community is pretty low.

Bad ROI is bad ROI, and even the dumbest Thumbtack Pro will not keep playing if it is bad ROI.

Time is money. Job Posters will NOT keep trying, or posting jobs on Thumbtack, if their investment of time does not pay off.

I'm sure you will let your overlords know.  Reese T.

Highlighted
Bodybliss
Level 2

I find myself wondering when can I just have a conversation with a potential client giving information about exactly what I can do to help! Yes it May work only to get the silent treatment. Or them not following up. More Chaos is when my payment fails right when I suspect I have a buying customer really makes me feel less confident -but every time! So I’m here everyday but why am I paying for nothing you see how many hires I have and I do really good work!! So am I not applying when I’m expected to be or people don’t believe I have the work for them! Give me some advice! Just be nice right?
0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

The issue with Promote is that there is no way to know where on the list we stand. We might be 10th out of a 1000 or we might be 900 out of 1000. Clawing our way up to the top of the heap is like swimming in Cherry flavored Jello in a room that is painted red. No point of reference.

Is there any pro here who actually knows where they are "Ranked"? I have 6 reviews and I am constantly told to get 10 total. But when I asked TT what my rank was they could not, or would not tell me.

And now this video tells us nothing about knowing where we rank.

There is no knowledge to be learned by watching this video.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Kameron

@HansenJC if you visit the main website and type in your service and zip code it's pretty easy to see where you rank. I just did a quick check and found you around number 15 on the list. This is always subject to change, especially as customers pick and choose different filters and your competition changes. As you've mentioned getting that first set of 10 reviews could certainly help with your ranking as well. 

HansenJC
Level 10

And, in the business that I am in..... Home Inspections..... The job must be done withing 1 to 3 days. Following up from an unresponsive customer a week later would be about three days after the job was done by someone else.

My suggestion to Thumbtack is to stop offering home inspections.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
MR
Level 10

@HansenJC  Completey agree. In my world as a lawyer,  a lead generally engages a lawyer within 3 days after the lead is generated because it is far too common that someone figures out they need a lawyer when they are on the courthouse steps.  Very few people proactively retain a lawyer.

Followup is great, but after about 3 days the lead is likely gone as they likely have a hearing in the next week and have no time to wait.

This dilemma is so true of so many of the fields of work represented here.

TackMaster LZDNVG
TackMaster

@HansenJC  @MR 

Yes, you are right. In my case, it's very common for someone who is disorganized to need a push and not necessarily have a timeline. That's why continually contacting them is so very important.

I can see how in other industries that is not always the case, but even if you get one extra sale per month from repeated contact, that adds up in a year! You've got to be hungry for more to succeed! Why not contact everyone regularly no matter what?