Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Moderator Kameron

My experience as a Thumbtack customer

As Thumbtack employees we are encouraged to use the site as a customer. It’s great to help us get things done, stay up to date with how the site works for customers, and to meet more amazing Thumbtack pros in person. I recently decided to search for and hire a pro, and thought I’d share my experience:

At my house, this is the time of year when we begin to see spiders appearing, and wasps building their stations around the yard. I have a long history of heightened and IRRATIONAL contempt when it comes to creatures of the arachnid kind. To this end, last spring I attempted to diffuse and remove a wasp nest, which resulted in enough stings and bites (yes they bite) for me to rethink my heroics. So this spring, naturally I decided to enlist the help of a pest control service.

Finding the pro:
As soon as I entered my zip code and began a search for pest control services I could see that it’s a popular category in my area. There were many high rated pros to choose from with 20 reviews or more, some even in the hundreds! I decided to reach out to a Top Pro that was in the middle of the pack in terms of reviews, but was high on the list with a great value tag attached.

Filters.pngOne #couldbebetter that I noticed at this point was in the search filter: I could only pick one pest, but in this instance I needed help with two (see attached image).

While I was sure that any of these pros could handle all pest types listed, I was concerned that selecting only one might result in an inaccurate price estimate. It ended up not being a factor because the treatment that this pro offered could cover a very large number of pests in one, but it’s still feedback I shared with our teams.

I was also expecting a filter based on the size of my house or property to help adjust the estimated cost to be more accurate. (Note: I was asked about the size of my home later on in the questionnaire.)

Contacting the pro
:
After picking a pro, I decided to see about scheduling by hitting check availability. A calendar came up with upcoming days of the current week highlighted in suggestion. Again, because of my disdain for eight-legged creatures I was fine having the service done ASAP and went with the highlighted suggestions on the calendar for the same week. (I also left the box ticked for the pro to suggest other dates because I could be flexible with their schedule.) Lastly, I chose the times of day that fit my schedule.

The details:
Now questions about my home came into play: residential vs commercial, the square footage, and affected areas. 

I confirmed the pest I needed help with and could have added photos but I decided to skip this step and move on to additional comments. I made a note that I wanted treatments for spiders inside and outside, and the wasps outside.

The last step was to confirm or adjust the zip code of my address and submit.

From here my project was submitted to the pro, and other pros were suggested for me to contact as well if I felt the need. 

The exchange
Not too long after I hit submit I got a message back from the pro letting me know that they could do the job, the price and what it covered, along with a great segway into calling and solidifying my appointment over the phone. 

Intro message.png

I also got a few separate notifications of other pest control pros that were interested in the job and I could open those notifications to see their quotes as well. These would be a great back up if the pro I chose was booked for a while or didn’t offer exactly what I was looking for.

The rest:
From here the experience was almost entirely separated from Thumbtack and the site. The pro came out on time, did their work and a great job of explaining how their treatment works, and then left. Since then we've been spider and wasp free.

Lastly came the review. The day after I contacted the pro I got a notification to leave them a review. The job wasn’t yet done when the notification came through, so I noted when it would be. When the time came to give a review, I  gave the pro 5 stars for their outstanding service.

Overall my experience of going through the site to find and hire the pro I needed was great! As mentioned there were a few minor quirks here and there that I noticed and reported. There are so many different ways that we as a company work to identify areas that may need updating and improvements. Going through this process in its entirety from a customer’s perspective is just one great way we work to see the bigger picture. Do you have a recent experience where you were able to use Thumbtack as a customer and hire another pro? If so, let us know how it went for you below!

8 responses
RCPS
Level 7

Re: My experience as a Thumbtack customer

@Kameron Thanks for sharing your experience as a job poster. I have a quick question for you: when you mentioned receiving notifications of other interested pros, where did you receive them? Email, text, or the Thumbtack app/website?

Thanks,
RCPS
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@RCPS great question. The one I noticed the most was an actual push notification on my phones home screen that if opened would take me directly to the pros quote in the app. I remember seeing later that I'd received emails for them as well.

0 Kudos
RCPS
Level 7

Thanks, @Kameron - so does that mean that job posters are now getting notified when Pros respond via the Jobs tab?   Since the rollout of 'Promote' last fall, we were told on several occasions that they wouldn't get any notifications of additional quotes/interest that came from Pros they didn't select (as in email, text messages, etc. as it used to be before the platform change).  The only time they would know if is they were logged into their Thumbtack profile and clicked on an obscure link.  Has that recently changed?  I don't recall seeing that as a product update recently.  Very curious about this, thanks!

~RCPS

Moderator Kameron

@RCPS the site has gone through a lot of changes in the last while and it can be hard to keep on top of the nuances that come with those changes. I apologize if there's been any confusion along the way. Back last fall when we rolled out Promote (now targeting), the adjustment was that customers would no longer receive manual quotes from the Jobs tab directly in their inbox. Instead, after they reached out to the initial pro, they would get notifications about other pros that could be a good fit when those pros sent a quote (all depending on the customer's notification settings).

I'll reference another experience I had as a customer back in April and received similar notifications HERE.

0 Kudos
RCPS
Level 7

Thanks @Kameron.  So assuming they have their notifications turned on, you're saying that they are indeed notified whenever another Pro submits interest from the Jobs tab via email, etc.?  I just want to make sure I'm clear here.  Thanks!

~RCPS

@Kameron: When I send a manual quote to a lead on the Jobs Tab, is it seen by the person who posted it? Are they notified? I thought I knew how this worked, now I'm a little confused. Please help clear this up. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@ChefOfAllSeason @RCPS
Happy to clarify. Customers will receive certain notifications when a pro sends them a quote through the Jobs tab, if the customer has the appropriate notifications turned on.

0 Kudos

@Kameron Could you please the explain what are "certain notifications"? Are they: phone, email, an onsite Thumbtack message box? We, your customers, are not permitted to know if one of our potential customers has viewed our introductions. Are we permitted to know what notifications they have turned on? Thanks for the clarification.