Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
Highlighted
Shuddrbug1
Active Community Member

Re: New Contest - Use Thumbtack as a Customer!

Solved! Jump to solution

1. Hired someone to clean ducts in my home.

2. #couldhavebeen better. The guy did an ok job, but didn't have the equipment he stated he had in the response.

3. Always be upfront with clients about your abilities and the type(s) of equiipment you use.

View solution in original post

TimWilliams
Community Regular

Solved! Jump to solution

As a General Contractor I am always looking for quality sub contractors for a myriad of different projects. If my existing cache of subs aren’t available, or if the job requires a specific skill set that is unusual I always go to Thumbtack first. I have met several top notch people from Thumbtack.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

@TimWilliams @Shuddrbug1 Thank you for sharing!

0 Kudos
Batkitty5961
Community Regular

Solved! Jump to solution
I used Thumbtack twice.
The first time I was looking for House Cleaner‘s. I have a very small condo that is only 517 ft.². I work three jobs so I only needed some simple cleaning like vacuuming and dusting and maybe a little window cleaning. I barely got any responses and the English was horrible. They wanted to give me a price without even seeing my small condo.... and the price was way too high. It took them over a week to get back to me. It was shady at best. I gave up and never hired anyone.
The second time I was looking for a handyman to just put up some white wire shelving to create some more storage space in my small coat closet about 5 feet long. One shelf one simple shelf. I know it was a small job. They could do it at their convenience. I only had two people respond. One man who told me he would call me back but right up front told me the job was probably too small for him and Then complained that he was charged by Thumbtack somewheres between 10 and $15 for the lead and that my job wasn’t worth it. He never called me back even when he said he would. The second man quoted me some ridiculous fee without even knowing what the job was… Then kept calling me back and begging me for the work. He was a very nice man but it was difficult to understand his broken English. I did end up hiring him and he was conscientious about doing a good job… But clearly he was not skilled. He did an average job even though he had to come back twice. He charged me a fair price… But only because he was sorry he couldn’t put up one simple shelf in one visit. I never called him again as I am not comfortable with his skill level.
0 Kudos
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

@Batkitty5961 Thanks for sharing! I am sorry you didn't have the best experience. I hope you were able to leave a review for the pro and give him some feedback so he can do better moving forward Smiley Happy

Now that Thumbtack has changed a little, you are able to look at a list of pros, see their profiles and reviews, and decide whom you want to reach out to. Hopefully next time you will have a better experience, because you won't be waiting around for pros to send you quotes!

0 Kudos
Wale
Community Newcomer

Solved! Jump to solution
I have use thumbtack as a customer, it has been the worst experience finding a reliable pro! There should be some way the pro pays for wasting the clients time and day. They don’t show up on time at least the ones I have encountered. They ratings or “top pro” status should be on the line.
MrChris
Community Regular

Solved! Jump to solution

Yes, 

I tried to use thumbtack as a customer about three (3) or so years ago.

Then I got a message from an administrator (at Thumbtack) who threatened

to cancel my account because this kinda action is prohibited in the EULA!

I politely explained that I was just trying to get an idea of what other Thumbtack Pros 

were charging but was again warned that this is illegal to do according to my agreement!

So I don't know what specifically you are after here but I will just recuse myself from any further 

infractions!

THANX!

Christopher M Hudetz

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

@MrChris - you are correct, we are not encouraging you to hire pros in your same field Smiley Happy But we highly encourage everyone to use Thumbtack for all of the other hundreds of services we offer! I am a wedding cake professional on Thumbtack (for nearly 5 years now!) and I have used Thumbtack for multiple projects - from having my website built, to cleaning tile and grout, to personal training. Hope you will try it again! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
tlittlej
Active Community Member

Solved! Jump to solution

Not to attack you but actions like yours are the reason the Pros, well old ones like myself, stopped using this site.  Your research costs us money.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @tlittlej thanks for reaching out. Just to clarify, these are legitimate projects that pros are getting done, this is not research for Thumbtack. The idea is that using Thumbtack from the customer perspective gives you insight into how to better use it as a pro. I have been a Thumbtack pro for almost 5 years, 4 of those before I came to work here. I have also used Thumbtack several times as a customer - from hiring a personal trainer, to having my website built, to getting tile and grout cleaned. Through each of those experiences I learned something that I could improve upon as a pro - like changing the way I scheduled with potential customers, or tweaking my responses, because I liked what I saw in other pros.

Thumbtack has changed a lot recently, so if you've been gone for a while, you should check it out again --- we know it isn't perfect, but it is getting better every day, thanks to feedback from great pros like you! If you have more questions or want help with anything, I am happy to help you! Feel free to send me a DM.

Thanks!