results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
TackMaster LZDNVG
TackMaster

OCTOBER IS ADHD AWARENESS MONTH! (SHARE YOUR ADHD STORY HERE!)

Hey Fellow Thumbtack Pros!

I suspect I may not be alone here in the Thumbtack Community of Pros when sharing that I am a Top Pro/ successful business owner with ADHD. I am a Professional Organizer and ADHD Consultant (or Coach) and I am proud say that I believe that ADHD (when properly treated) has made me a better all-around business owner!

One of the reasons I suspect I am not alone here in the Thumbtack Community is because neurodivergent people, or those with brain differences such as ADHD, often have a harder time working for other people or working in environments that are not necessarily suitable for them (think typical schooling settings or inflexible corporate work environments). These difficulties don't happen for us because we're not as "smart", not capable, or defiant in nature, (often quite the contrary) it's mostly because we want to be passionate about what we do, we have the drive to be more efficient in what we actually do (which can be hard in corporate environments), and unfortunately, we are misunderstood in the average workplace. All of these things can lead to negative interactions and misunderstandings among bosses and co-workers which can sometimes result in us "going out on our own" as our own boss. This has been my personal experience but I'm so thankful that I never got too comfortable in any previous job I had, which basically FORCED me to start my own business (the best thing that ever happened to me!)

Did you know, it is now extremely common to be diagnosed with ADHD as an adult? Many adults I've talked to personally have even been diagnosed after they started their own businesses, even when they couldn't figure out why they had such a hard time in school and/or multiple workplaces. As research began to include females and people of color in studies over the years we now have a much different understanding of the various presentations of ADHD symptoms as opposed to what was previously thought or shared... leading to common misconceptions continuing to be shared or talked about, hence why we still very much need an ADHD AWARENESS MONTH.

Here's the best part, people with ADHD are known to EXCEL as business owners, CEOs, athletes, actors, and other diverse areas of work or study. Since we're all so diverse, there is no one path to success for any of us, but some notable people with ADHD are:

Bill Gates, Will i am, Richard Branson, Ingvar Kamprad (IKEA founder and chairman), Jim Carrey, Justin Timberlake, Howie Mandel, Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, Adam Levine, Solange Knowles, Terry Bradshaw, Adam Levine, Justin Bieber, David Blaine, Audra McDonald, Michele Rodriguez, and Shane Victorino.

MORE ABOUT ADHD:

People with ADHD are often creative (think outside the box), resourceful, work hard, and can easily "hyperfocus" on the things or subjects they love/are passionate about which results in them getting massive amounts of things done in a short amount of time. These are all HUGE ASSETS for small business owners, entrepreneurs, and CEOs. >>>For more on that, check out this cool article about it: CLICK HERE.

On the other hand, ADHD symptoms are not always fun or an asset. You may picture the hyperactive boy in school when thinking about ADHD but symptoms of ADHD vary and every symptom presents differently in everyone. Girls and women are more often known to try to hide their own ADHD symptoms due to the fear that it would hinder their own succcess, which can feel like self-sabatoge (boy have I been there!). These are all general examples of why ADHD is still so misunderstood by the public, especially since there is no right treatment, option, answer, look, personality, or direction for any of us.

To me, all of the examples above are exactly why neurodiversity within the workplace and among small business owners should be celebrated and shared. America is a diverse place in general and if there is a need, we have capable and AMAZING people to fill the need for the public, and that is EXACTLY what we do every day as Thumbtack Pros! 

*****If you suspect you have ADHD, check out CHADD and ADDITUDE Magazine. Both are great resources for people from all walks of life who are looking for support or for those who suspect they may have ADHD. 

Thanks for reading and I hope I shed some light on ADHD Awareness for you!

If you are a Thumbtack Pro with ADHD PLEASE share your story! I'd love to hear it.

Regards,

Laura Brooke
Owner of PHL Organizer

Philadelphia, PA TackMaster

6 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: OCTOBER IS ADHD AWARENESS MONTH! (SHARE YOUR ADHD STORY HERE!)

@LZDNVG Thank you for being so willing to share your personal story and bringing awareness around ADHD here in the Community. You are truly incredible!

Ma
Level 6

Hi, I'd love to speak with you. Fellow organizer from sf, madison. Is it ok to leave phone number o this forum?
Moderator Kameron

@Ma If you're comfortable with it then you certainly can. If you're unsure about posting your contact information publicly then you could also send @LZDNVG a direct message here in the Community. To do that just click on her picture, view profile, and the direct message button.

0 Kudos
Ma
Level 6

I clicked on her picture, no option to view profile came up
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Ma hmm, maybe try clicking on the name. You can also use the search function to find a user in the Community, view profile, and send a direct message.

0 Kudos
TackMaster LZDNVG
TackMaster

@Ma I messaged you!