results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted
Lar
Level 9

Phone Number Links

Question regarding the customer interface.

I had occasion recently to hire a Garage Door Repair guy on Thumbtack. A couple of other Pros reached out to me via the Jobs tab and sent me quotes also.

Image2.jpg

When I click on the 'Message Pro' button for one of these other Pros I see the following screen...

Image1.jpg

The red circles around the Pros phone number and the 'Click to show' text has been added by me for emphasis.

The Pros telephone number is partially X'd out so I only see the first three digits of their phone number. The phone number and the 'Click to show' text are actually clickable links but I haven't clicked on them, presumably if I did then the Pro's phone number would be revealed.

My question is...

If I click the Pro's phone number or the 'Click to show' link will the Pro be charged and what (if anything) will the Pro see at their end?

Regards,
Laurence.

11 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Phone Number Links

Great question @Lar. When a customer clicks on a pros number through the desktop, it reveals the number to the customer and the pro doesn't see anything on their end. There is no charge for this.

If the customer clicks the phone icon to call the pro, the pro will be notified through the messenger that the customer called them. The pro then will get charged if a customer calls and the phone is answered or if they get the voicemail prompt (whether or not they leave a message). The pro will not be charged if a customer hangs up before the voicemail prompt, if they hang up before the phone is answered, or if they call and get a busy signal. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 9

Thanks @Meckell,

Follow up question.

With the phone number initially hidden, if the customer clicked the phone number AND the Pro subsequently received a message saying that the customer HAD viewed their telephone number then that would be useful to the Pro because it would indicate a level of interest from the customer.

Since that doesn't happen do you know why the number is initially hidden from the customers and why they are required to click the number to actually show the number? If all clicking the number does is actually show the number then why not just show the number by default rather than requiring the customer to click the number to show it?

Cheers,
Laurence.

Moderator Kameron

@Lar I think that's a fair suggestion to let the pro know the customer viewed their number. As to why it's hidden in this scenario, it's just something that's built-in site wide regardless of which platform the customer is using.

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

@Meckell I am very currious about this technology. How does the Thumbtack software know that a job poster has called a Pro. I have never heard of any way that the Internet can track phone calls.    NOTE: I am assuming that the Job Poster can click to show the phone number and then dial their phone (any phone) using a few of their fingers to enter that number on any available phone keypad.

I have read and re-read what you wrote a few times and it seem technically impossible for Thumbtack to know when I use my phone.

Is this only enabled when the Job Poster is using their smart phone? What if they are on their laptop or desktop computer and they place a call from a land line to a land line?

Are the Thumbtack features different on the phone compared to the features available on the computer?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC this is only through the app when the customer clicks the phone icon in the messenger. It would then show a “masked number”. If that customer calls that number it would register that they called and the forward them to the pro’s phone number on file. After a customer has contacted the pro, the pro is then charged, and their real phone number would be available- at which time we cannot track if the customer calls further.

Because you don’t pay Thumbtack for leads until a customer contacts you, we have to know when a customer contacts you to charge you for those leads. We use a company called Twilio--which is used by organizations ranging from Airbnb to the Red Cross--to mask the phone number you enter on your profile and track the occurrence of communications. 

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

@MeckellWhat do you mean by the "app"? Are you saying the customer does not actually see the Pros real phone number but a seudo-number?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Kameron

@HansenJC when we refer to the app its the actual widget that the customer has downloaded and is using on their phone. 

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

@KameronIs the functionality of the app/widget the same on a computer as on a phone?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Kameron

@HansenJC it's slightly different. If you refer back to the earlier part of the discussion between Meckell and @Lar I think it could help to answer your question about this. 

0 Kudos