results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
patricklytle
Level 5

Re: Thank you TT, it was great while it lasted

I remember getting a call from my customer service rep, Jared (who I heard from again today to tell me he was no longer my customer service rep...but to use Help from TT as my guide - gee thanks) who suggested I list my pricing for the world to see. As I explained to him, we're not a fly-by-night design sweatshop. We ENGAGE our customers, find out what they need and then provide a fair price. They've created a cookie cutter tool they think will be a good for one good for all...but it's not. It's certainly no longer good for us and we're looking elsewhere. It's sad...was such a good system for years.

deedeekay
Level 1

I totally agree. I used TT EXCLUSIVELY since 2014 to get all my customers bidding on jobs I wanted and paying $3-5 per bid. I won about 30% (average was 10%). When they changed their whole business model, I paid $20 for one conversation and was booking the date until someone underbid me and they went with them. Not only did I lose $20 on the bid but I lost the job. TT creators are not using their own platform. What they believe in theory is not the reality. I HATE the “new” TT so much that I’ve quit using it and refuse to pay $20 to message a flaky customer about a maybe job. I told them before all they figured out was how to make themselves more money not me.
jtsunbrite
Level 5

I feel the same way , they are charging too much and the promote feature is just racking up charges with no jobs booked.

Yup. As I've explained to the staff and posted on here elsewhere the business model for someone who's a wedding photographer is completely dead. No way to justify spending $53 PER CONTACT for wedding "leads" expecially when a large majority of them are tire kickers just researching and not ready to hire, or responding with "are you available" or "when can we chat" and then ghosting us. Combine that with the fact that they are contacting 14 other people, you have (all else being equal) a 1 in 15 chance of being hired, which means an overall average cost per conversion of $795. That is just ludicris. On top of that the majority of the people posting are claiming budgets of $250-500 for a photographer which is just silly. In no universe does any of that make sense and I'm done. I do keep checking the forums hoping to see a revival of what was once a great system but I am not holding my breath.

DJStevie
Level 12

@acollinsphoto

My sentiments exactly. I've voiced my opinions and suggestions to the staff and on here as well many times. I also see customer budgets for DJ almost in same ballpark as yours, or if not giving a budget just wanting basic service. Then we get hit with an outrageous lead cost. I don't mind working with a customer on tight budget or wanting basic service, but if I'm being charged $35 and up for tight budget, where is the profit to be made for me? Not much of a profit for some services that I provide.

uu2727
Level 5

WoW!  I'm really surprised that anyone would expect to pay $250 for their entire wedding to be photographed!!!

That's just absolutely RIDICULOUS and insulting to a professional photographer.  I just got off the phone with Prestige Photography and they charged me $265 for eight wallet sized, four 4x5 and two 5x7 (total of 3 sheets!!).  They did give me a pic for my daughter's yearbook (yay, I guess), but for a WHOLE DAY of WEDDING photography??!!  Senior photo is important, but not the most important event of your life. 

I don't blame you for being insulted by such low balling.  If someone is willing to do it for that price, then they are either just starting out (inexperienced) or they will be making many add-ons later..... 

0 Kudos
formerpro
Level 5

I am in complete agreement I love what thumbtack USED to be however the only reason I am keeping my account open is so that customers who I may have not given a card to can find me again. #1 reason cost if it cost me 11$ to do an instant match quote on a dryer that the market will only bare labor of no more than 100$ when it used to cost like 4$ that is a losing proposition.

JoeB131
Level 7

To be fair, pricing seems to have come down at least in my field.. so I am giving "Promote" another go.   I've gotten 5 leads, 2 of which have gone nowhere, two are still in limbo and one panned out.  So Thumbtack has moved from a "not really" option to a "Maybe" option for me... at least for now.  

There is still the problem where i am competing against people from all over the country instead of just locally.  

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@JoeB131
That's great to hear. Happy that prices dropped for you. Prices need to drop for my job, as well charging us weekly again, not for every $50 usage, before I turn Promote back on again.
0 Kudos
Norcalsparky
Level 4

DITTO......The money TT is making is unreal since the change. So why would they change for Top Pros that are leaving in droves.