Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Top pros

Forgot to mention, the "slow/competitive" thing is exactly that, your involving 15 companies now rather than 5. That, in my opinion is going to hurt TT eventually as well. That business model is exactly the same thing as "quantity rather than quality" sure, TT will generate a fortune collecting from 15 pros rather than just 5, but eventually most pros will feel as though it's a waste of time/money, and won't bother with having to compete against 14 other companies, and will look for other means of lead generation. I have not mentioned these other services by name here, out of respect, but assume most pros are slowly figuring out who they are, and are moving away from TT.

@MeckellAfter all my complaining over the last 6 months about all the changes and my lack of business, I started getting text messages again. I received a text message saying "welcome back to Thumbtack" I NEVER left. But I started receiving texts about clients and what they were looking for. I then got to send my introduction letter or at least follow up.

NOW I am not receiving any text messages again. When TT sends out a quote under my "promote"... the system doesn't tell me it was done. In order to follow up I have to keep watching my messages to see if a quote was sent. This system is terrible. I've lost 90% of my business. WHY isn't TT doing anything to help. 

I've had 15 people (at least) from TT who looked over all my information, profile, etc etc etc and everything is fine. The only thing wrong is TT's platform. At least figure out why the text messages aren't working. YES my phone number is correct. 

I've received a couple of message from a client but nothing for jobs TT this is a problem. I heard that TT is now a billion dollar company. How can you stay that way if you lose pros? 

Moderator Kameron

@PositiveChoice thanks for posting. I wanted to make a few clarifications and I think they may be answers to what you've expressed here. First is that Thumbtack no longer sends quotes out on behalf of pros like we did through Instant Match, so therefore there's no notification to be sent out for it. Instead, customers will see a pros profile and info in the search results page which is why we list your page views, profile views, and leads all on your Insights page.

We also no longer send a notification when a new Job appears in the Jobs tab. You will only receive a notification when a customer has reached out to you directly through the search results or they respond to a quote you sent yourself through the Jobs tab. Now that pros can tell us even more about the jobs they always want when they are promoting, we opened up the number of jobs that will be seen in the Jobs tab. Because of this, the notifications for those jobs could inundate pros with notifications if we sent them for each and every one. So we now will notify you for a new lead or response to your quote to help you put more focus on those instead.

0 Kudos

I thought the jobs tab was something new. There are no jobs listed in my jobs tab!
0 Kudos
jwdpainting
Level 4

We are being charged so much more now per lead for even the slightest of replies that go no where.  I recently was charge $75 for a lead that told me the project was "dead." Thumbtack Support says they will not refund me because it gave me the opprtunity to get my contact information to them. It seems really bogus to me and not the way Thumbtack used to operate. After being with them for almost 6 years, it is super disappointing. I miss the oppurtunity to win a job and to send more customized quotes. Really would like to see some changes made to the service. 

bonnie_bill
Level 8

We were a top pro and enjoying decent volume but not necessarily profitable volume with Thumbtack several years ago before they started the radical changes to the lead generation model. We were getting business but had to reduce our price point to where the business was only marginally worth performing at the price point necessary to compete using the TT model.  Then the huge increases started and we reduced our interest due to what TT charged us for already only marinally profitable business. Then it became too much effort required to try to understand, learn, monitor, and maintain a reasonable relationship with TT when as business owners we should be focusing on all the aspects of running our successful companies. Effectively what was the point anymore as the benefits of the service were gone.  The costs and difficulty of their ever changing model destroyed our interest and we reverted back to our core marketing efforts as they had always been successful for us now in our 21st year. As of right now we would not know how to bid on a quote as we have been on the side lines for so long and so much has changed. But we know there is potential for getting good business "if" TT could only get their act together.

The one piece of advice I would give TT is to balance their need for their own profitability with the need to help insure the business of their pros is also profitable. It must be a win/win or it is a near sighted service with minimal benefit if it can not be profitable for the pro and if it takes too much effort to participate.  I hope they can get back to a workable and valuable service offering. We will see.

fitcap
Level 7

Hi Wreach, YOU SAID: "I am interested to know how many pros were top pros, before thumbtack started all these changes, but are not now..." ME: In answer to your question I am on the loosing end these days making zilch through Thumbtack. NADA..NOT A PENNY!!
Highlighted
jcp
Level 9

@Meckelland to all those professionals who were Top Pros for several years and very successful as I was.  I have had the same experience - my business dropped off 100% immediatly once the drastic changes slowly started being implemented.  As a successful videograher, photographer and editor for 20 years . . .    and with a previous background in advertising consulting . . . there is nothing you can say Meckell that will convince me that the new system works.  Especially after reading pages and pages and pages of Top Pros who have left TT and who no longer find TT a value or a way to maintain a successful business flow of clients.  It is not possible with this system.  It doesn't measure the same as before and there is no way any one individual pro can maintain success on a monthly basis with this system that TT has in place now.  Sure you may book 1 customer a month - - but at what cost.  Now in its third or fourth month you have the numbers to see how any individual can be successful with this system.  Me?  Zero.   I can look back at the last month alone and see 196 views - and 5 leads that turned out as bogus - and NO bookings.  I used to book 5 - 7 jobs a month.  When TT touts that us pros now get more visability with this system - well maybe.  But competing with everyone else in the market does not make you stand out and does not make it possible to book consistantly on a monthly bases as we did before.  Marco claims in a video back in November that 80% of the customers were not getting responses so things had to change.  Well - - 80% of your customers then were not serious or valuable leads for us pros to respond to.  That's why no one responded to those people.  It seems now that TT has found a way for those not serious and low value leads to get force a respose - because TT saw that 80% of those not getting responses meant 80% of TT not making a profit off of.  TT thought is  . . .   how do we profit off those 80%?    I don't know how many times I have heard Marco or the team give a reason for the drastic changes.  The reason being that 80% of the customers were not getting responses so we had to change.  Well it appears that now those 80% are now being contacted - but they are still bogus leads.  That has not changed.  Pro are getting those 80% "no response back" customers anyway - but TT is profiting.  It's all in the community board postings . . . .  people have truly spoken.  And plenty of time has gone by to measure this new platform so i hope to see some significant changes in the new year and maybe I can come back to TT and start referring TT to my community again.

Anyway - - since you ask about how past pros are doing . . .    I would say that that 99% of past Top Pros are not happy with the new format.  And that is based on the hundreds and hundreds of communtiy board postings I have read over the last three or four months.  Let me put this out there and give you something to think about . . .   when the December TT Newsletter came out it highlighted three pros and their profiles.  It was titled to "inspire" us pros.  Well, I contacted two of them directly, the photographer and the caterers.  They both got back to me and told me those "profiles" of them were from over a year ago and both pros I spoke with No Longer use Thumbtack as a way to gain new business and their business dropped off significantly once the changes went into effect.  True!  Fact! And I notificed Thumbtack of this misleading newsletter.  No response.  So if Thumbtack has to reach out and back two years to find stories of Pros to inspire us ??? - - well there's your answer.  

We had top pro two years in a row, and lost it when the changes happened. As of this week, we paid up our balance, and will not be quoting on any other projects unless the system gets fixed. We were getting roughly 90% of the jobs we quoted up until the changes, and haven't gotten a single job since. We only get "the customer chose you" leads, and we haven't sealed the deal on a single job from those particular leads either. I'm considering putting the money into a new website, and search optimization, rather than spending any more on this system that clearly is not working for us anymore....

I have found myself to be in the same boat as what sounds like nearly everyone else. 

Thumbtack was integral part of my business almost since I started 3 years ago, with multiple leads a week, correspondence with my target market, successful jobs, etc. I was a Top Pro all last year, but don't think I've had a single job lead that resulted in getting hired since before Thanksgiving. Most of the jobs in the last several weeks I don't even respond to because the price to quote is so high that it's not possible to make a decent profit. I have specialized in small handyman jobs and when it costs more than $10 a job to even express interest, there's no money to be made in that. I am extremely disappointed in the direction that TT has chosen to take the platform--WHY RUIN A GOOD THING? I would echo much of what has already been said. Thumbtack has gone from being one of the best lead generation services on the market to basically nothing more than an overpriced Yelp listing with little to no effective results.