Why is my profile not found in search? Anyone else missing?

Community Veteran
Best Answer

I just made Top Pro 2020. But now I cannot be found in any town in my area. What changed in the past week?

Just today, I seached for home inspectors on Thumbtack in several neighboring zip codes including my own home town and I am not listed anywhere.

I received two leads in the last week. But how will I ever again get a Direct Lead if I am not visible when a customers searches for Home Inspection.

I am being told to turn on Targeting and wait to see how it goes. I had Targeting off for the past year. Why would my Porfile visibility fade to black in the last week?

Even in zip codes where there are less than thirty Pros listed, I would think that if Targeting was the only issue, I would at least be last on the list. Ranking 23rd would be better than invisible.

John C Hansen, Hansen Home Inspections, January 23, 2020

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
States
replies
Highlighted

Re: Why is my profile not found in search? Anyone else missing?

Community Veteran
Best Answer

And I certainly hope that Thumbtack does not claim that I need to have more reviews in order to be visible.

I would question that because there are only 9 of the 30 Pros who are visible who have more reviews than I have. This means that 21 of the 30 have fewre reviews than I have. Surely I would at least show up in my own home town.

Being below average should not mean invisible.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Number of reviews and top pro status don't matter if you aren't willing to turn on "Targeting".  It's worse if you are in a category like Resume Writer or Web Development, you are pretty much competing with the whole country.   Most of them have less reviews, most of them aren't top pros.  The one person who is local only has four reviews. 

Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

@JoeB131 

I appreciate your input, but my comment about the number of reviews is based entirely on the need to pre-empt (rebut) the notion that I have heard from Thumbtack staff on multiple occations while trying to adress this question. They say things that are often times not useful and most often not relevant to the discussion, even if in other cases their advice is useful.

The fact that I had just attained Top Pro 2020 status is a curious coincidence. I realize it does not affect rank order nor visibility. And for the past year or more I had not been using Targeting and I still was visible. As you have said and it seems plainly evident now that using Targeting is an unstated requirement to achieve visibility in a search. I had received Direct Leads last year.

I simply wish Thumbtack would state this requirement that Pros Must Use Targeting as a fact, and not makes recomendations like I have heard alreads from multiple staff that "you need more reviews" or "you need more pictures" or "you need to respond faster."  All of those factors have been address in the past more than a year ago and I was visible all last year. And I am above the mean or above the median in all of these parameters. I should at least appear in the list rather than not appear anywhere at all. This issue is about visibility, not the rank order or my profile.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Likes