Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
bonnie_bill
Level 8

With the new program working so well why do we never see any Pros making positive comments ?

@Kameronstated as he closed the previous thread that the new TT program is working well and here to stay although not for everyone. If that is true why do we NEVER see any Pros (other than the very new) posting positive comments about their experience with this new program?  Does anyone have positive comments about this new system? I would really like to know who it is working for?

Occupations (1)
23 responses
DJStevie
Level 12

Re: With the new program working so well why do we never see any Pros making positive comments ?

@bonnie_bill 

I was going to comment on that thread, then saw it had been closed.

Like you, I also want to hear from any Pro who likes this new system and have any positive comments. The more that I read the comments, especially recent comments, the more I see how many different Pros are getting upset.

bonnie_bill
Level 8

Re: With the new program working so well why do we never see any Pros making positive comments ?

@DJStevie  I can translate our position, here to stay, means gone for ever.

One thing I have learned about TT though. What they are doing today will change again just give it a little time. 

Moderator Kameron

@bonnie_bill  You are correct, as I said in the post you've mentioned we will not be returning back to the old system. We made this change because customers were telling us they wanted to see pros right away. Before 80% of our customers never even saw a pro or a quote, which is huge. The new system is here to stay and already proving more sustainable than the last for everyone involved, including the majority of pros. We know this because we're seeing it in the numbers along with a healthier marketplace overall. At the same time, we know that things aren't perfect and we're working so very hard toward improvements that need to be made. Things aren’t going to change overnight, but so long as pros keep working at it, I know they’ll see a return. As you give feedback, we’re working really hard to make Thumbtack as great as it can be, but these things simply take time.

We know that people are passionate about their business and making Thumbtack work for them. It's often the case that those who are experiencing some frustrations will more likely be the ones to seek out ways to share that frustration and feedback along with requesting some assistance and that's why we're here. As I mentioned things are looking better overall because we're seeing it in the data and through the health of the overall marketplace, but there have been some positive sentiments shared here in the Community as well, here are a few examples that came to mind:

DaveD
Level 4

You say 80% of your customers never saw a pro or got a quote? I was getting about two new clients a month average with your old system. And each person I send a quote to usually had a total of two or three other quotes. What are you talking about? From what I can see the whole system worked just fine, it just didn't cost the pros nearly as much as you want now. I suspect that's really the big difference for you isn't it? You talk with such sincerity, but you quote statistics that I don't believe are true. At least they're nowhere near true according to my personal experience 2013 through 2017.
DJStevie
Level 12

@DaveD 

I've asked to see those statistics, but TT can't provide them for whatever reason. Like you, with the old system, I was getting new clients every month, some months 2, others 4..With the old system, I'm booked through April of this year, after that, not much. Lately, it's been much less bookings, but am able to get a few  using the manual system. I've asked customers after an event that I DJ'd for them, what they thought of Thumbtack, and they said there have been too many Pros to choose from with new system. Customers who hired me from old system said it worked fine, and loved the fact that I took the time to personally send them messages explaining my business and what I offer, instead of trying to read it all in a lengthy profile.

DJStevie
Level 12

@Kameron @bonnie_bill 

I read those posts and alot of the comments. Please don't take this the wrong way @Kameron, but many from what I've read are negative, and Pros trying to give suggestions. And it's not just in those links you provided, many other links as well. Change made to show customers more Pros? What about taking care of the Pros and having us see the customers and not be surprised? I've voiced my concerns and suggestions numerous times, and it seems like I'm beating a brick wall all the time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, the new system isn't sustainable for me, I'm sure other Pros will attest to that. I've given my thoughts for 3 months now, other Pros as well. Just read and hear them in their comments, posts, etc. What is hard to understand?

bonnie_bill
Level 8

@Kameron @DJStevie ,

I, too, read the comments on the links you provided as well as some of their underlying threads. I guess I have a few comments accordingly.

Kameron, why are there not equally as many great comments about the TT model as there are negative ones? I mean really, if it is working that well I would expect to see fewer negative than positive comments, honestly. On the total explanation from @CLGPatrick . He seems to definitely be a professional and understands his market. But even at that, he is doing a ton of work to do all the analysis just to use a simple service that cost a lot of money. I would have to be very dedicated to spend that amouont of time & effort just to make something like the new system work. What is there to be gained when there are alternate methods that have greater value? One of the most advantageous parts of the original TT system was it's simplicity. I am truly sorry TT took such a totally encompassing turn in direction of total control rather than expound on creating efficiency and excellence in all phases of the business cycle. I see, in the Pros comments, total frustration with trying to understand how to make what they see as a mess work more like what it was previously when it worked for them. I can't say that I see many that seem to be enjoying benefits from this new environment. 

Let's just all hope this program can improve from what it has become so we can all go back to making money with TT. If not the Pros will either accept it for what it is or will find alternatives that will work for them. Time will tell us all. 

CLGPatrick
Level 7

@bonnie_bill I definitely agree with your statement.  I do a great deal of work analytically to increase the value and likelihood of me getting hired per job.  But, I do that because I know none of the photographers in my region are willing to do that, which makes it easy for me to dominate the industry in my area.

Also, (mentioning this because someone said it wasn't very clear in the article) I do solely use the promotion service and I do not send quotes manually.  That's one thing I do love about this new setup is getting the 20% discount on the promotion service and tactically making sure my budgets are targetting higher probability hires based on all my analytics.

I would LOVE to see an active reporting dashboard that showed what styles of photography I was getting hired in the most, which ones I'm buying the most leads in, and a whole bunch of other data like I use in spreadsheets.  I spent a couple days putting all of the algorithms together so that all I have to do is enter:

• Client's Name
  • Lead Cost
  • Style of Photography
  • Amount Hired For
  • Date of Lead Purchase
  • Hired/Not Hired
  • Hours required to complete Job

I pull all that information from the "Payments" and go receipt by receipt.  It seems daunting, but when you see how much information that'll create for me, it's amazing.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.05.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.06.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.08.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.08.26 AM.png

I've got algorithms up the ying-yang just to automate all of this data.  I use to do all this while still manually quoting people, and we all know the faster you send the quote the better, which was a daunting task all on it's own.  That's why the promotion system works so well for me.  Now, I'm growing a completely separate business while still receiving photography requests on TT. The only thing I do is each night add the 0-3 leads I get per day to the data sheet and once a month review the data and adjust my budgets / profile as needed.

Like I said in my article that @Kameron refered to, I know we're all in different industries and the proposed demographic is different for all of us. But, I would highly recommend runing data like this.  Also, have any of you had your friends/family go on thumbtack to find someone in your industry and HONESTLY tell you if they would hire you over the other professionals listed?  Hell... message me your provided service and a zip code you provide it for and I'll tell you the truth.  No hard feelings, just honest critique.

Lastly, @Kameron, is TT considering developing a more comprehensive datasheet?  I think many pros don't see what success, or lack thereof, they're having because they aren't getting enough analytics to compare and contrast their business(es) to.

Patrick Skinner
CLG Photography
Moderator Kameron

@CLGPatrick thanks for weighing in. In response to your question, we recently updated the Insights page to be in sync with the new system, but like I've said we're always working to improve things. I've made sure to send your screenshot and metrics in as an example that pros may benefit from seeing in their Insights as well.