results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Women on Thumbtack - Do you feel supported?

In celebration of International Women’s Day on March 8th and Women’s History Month this month, let’s talk about what it’s like to be women entrepreneurs!

I started my cake business over a decade ago, when my husband was suddenly diagnosed with a brain tumor. Our world was turned upside down - and I realized that I might be left to support our two young children, on my own. Up to that point, I had only made cakes as a hobby, or for family and friends. I immediately hopped to action and got licensed, built a website, registered for a local wedding show, and got my hustle on. I even went from door to door, delivering cupcakes to local businesses.

It was a lot of work. Long days taking care of husband and kids, but in the end, totally worth it. That business supported our family for the next several years.

I felt empowered. It would never have happened, had I not had the support of my family, friends, and community - And had the process of starting a business not been so easy in my city.

In a recent survey, we asked women to tell us how supported they feel in their community. Here are some of the results:

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 3.13.26 PM.png

How is it running your business in your city? If you don’t feel supported by your local government, how do you overcome that? If you do feel supported, what is your community doing right? And as women and entrepreneurs, what can we do to affect change?

Check out this article, for more interesting statistics!

@DrG@Carlesha@GlamorousDrinks@jbelden@LVphotog@Penn-The-Moment@EnglishTrainer - you each live in one of these cities - tell us what it has been like for you?

8 responses
PatriciaN
Level 6

Re: Women on Thumbtack - Do you feel supported?

Loved reading about your cake business and success in supporting your family! I'm from San Francisco and I know there are lots of small business groups for women for creatives, photographers, and small businesses, but I think a Thumbtack Women's SF group would be awesome! 

Highlighted
TackMaster LZDNVG
TackMaster

@DustiO Thank you for sharing your story! I love hearing more about successful people I admire. Also, @PatriciaN, I totally agree! I would love a Thumbtack womens group!!

Dusti, your story is inspiring amongst many others here on Thumbtack! 

I also overcame tragedy, moved to California from Florida, started my own photography business, and have been successful ever since. If it wasn't for the constant support of friends, loved ones, and colleagues in my field, that encouraged me to keep following my passions, it would have made it even more difficult. 

As a women, there are so many challenges that most don't realize. In the career I chose for example, Wedding Photography, which for the most part was a male dominated field, us women had to break through some difficult boundaries. I am still faced with occurrences that sometimes my second shooter, which happens to be a male, gets approached first from event planners, and dj's, being asked what is the next step in the decision making. After introducing myself as the lead. That is what it is, and at the end of the day you have to remember why you do what you do and to stand strong.  

The more we work with the community as women entreprenuers and the more people see are commitments and passion, the more I feel we will be embraced. We are all working for the same goals. We all want to be happy, successful, and above all, respected. Respected as women, as entreprenuers, and sometimes the sole providers for our families. I appreciate Thumbtack in the cotinuing support, and applaud those working hard to reach their goals and achieving their passions. 

TackMaster LVphotog
TackMaster

In my hometown, I would definitely say there are less resources available for women-owned businesses. I recently did a search on popular restaurants and could only find 5 that were owned by women. Five! There are many different aspects that gender plays a role in my industry but I definitely feel that there isn’t a lot of support in the business environment for women in my community. Luckily, I have been able to find women’s groups and clubs that have been more than supportive. Working for myself, I’m able to stay away from the politics and harassment that I would have to bare in a corporate position. This has been a wonderful improvement in my daily life. I have also noticed that I’ve never been hired by a man for corporate accounts but I have been hired by women. I suppose that gender can have an effect in many ways that could be discussed here for days, but I hope that one day women can be seen as equals among men and be paid the same amount for the same job. 💕

This is kind of a tough one but I will answer to the best of my abilities. We live in a world now where social media allows entrepreneurship to be as hard or as easy as one allows.  Glamorous Drinks doesnt look for support! We just provide the highest level of quality service we can to each of our clients.  When people see your hard and go beyond what is expected of your servce ; they will want to support you! And if they don't keep being the best YOU, or best business possible, in due time, your time will come and you will have all the support you need.

TackMaster jbelden
TackMaster

I live in the Metro-Atlanta area, and actually, it is one of the fastest growing cities in the USA for women-owned businesses. However, even though women have a firm footing in owning their businesses, sometimes I do feel like I am on an Island. I believe that it is essential to seek out opportunities where women business owners can connect and support each other. I would love to see more women business groups where I can tap into a resource like that. I also believe that if we want to see a change in our community, we also have to be the pioneers. I remember seeing a few posts in an online women's traveling group about starting LLCs for the New Year. I approached the group admin and asked if I could teach a class to the members about starting LLCs since I have done it. So far, the response has been overwhelmingly supportive, and I am happy to share the knowledge with fellow women entrepreneurs.

Hi Dusti,
I love hearing stories of strength women! You are certainly one of themSmiley Happy it’s so admirable how, rather then becoming victimized by circumstances, you took the bull by the horns and accomplished what you needed to support your family.
I also support my family as a single mother with my own makeup business. Sometimes it is overwhelming and scary when business is slow but things always pick up and Work out. In NY it is very competitive, as the large population of artists especially in a career where you dont need a license. I am not sure how the local government helps women and if they even do but thumbtack definitely helps!
Moderator Meckell

This is amazing to hear @CourtneyCulkin!