Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
cheshiredave
Level 5

My Best Tip

If a customer gives details about what they're looking for, use that to your advantage: if you're uniquely suited to give them what they want based on those details, highlight that in your response. Recently I happened upon a request for wedding photography, which I normally don't respond to, but the customer detailed that they're getting married in the same exact (slightly unusual) place I got married, and we connected on that, especially because I understood the challenges of shooting there — and I got the gig.

If you're not uniquely suited based on those details, don't waste your time or potentially your money — because someone else probably is just right for the gig, and they'll probably get it.

If the customer doesn't offer details but you think it might be right for you, ask questions that can open the door to show them you're a good fit — the customer will probably appreciate your attempt to connect with them on a meaningful level. If they like you and feel that you're genuinely interested in what they need, they may be more inclined to hire you.

MeganK
Level 7

Re: My Best Tip

@cheshiredave That sounds like a very cool experience! Thank you for sharing your insight on connecting with customers. 

Moderator Meckell

What a great tip @cheshiredave, it sounds like it's worked in your favor. 

OTooleBSW
Level 4

My Best Tip

My fellow editors,
The best tip I can offer is to realize the difference between yourself and a publishing house. You are not distributing the novel. You are not their agent/manager. The clients come to you with a vision for the book, so I implore you: please stop trampling it with your own ideas. Clean it up to a professional standard, then offer your thoughts on how to re-shape the novel as it is currently envisioned. I probably will be remiss to even share this, since so much of my client base comes from those previously trampled underfoot, but hey... $250 sounds nice Smiley Happy
AdisRetta
Level 5

My Best Tip

Stay logged into Thumbtack as you would your favorite social media site. I monitor Thumbtack customer feedback and my greatest feedback was accessibility. The more customers see the green light saying you're online right now, the more they're engaged. It's important to continue this line of communication and not rush to email communication. My Thumbtack customers can contact me anytime through Thumbtack during the project and have given me helpful feedback as to the convenience of this feature.
Moderator Meckell

This is a great tip @AdisRetta, thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
DJEddieB
Level 5

My Best Tip

My best tip is to ask EVERYONE you have a discussion with for a review. Even if they don't hire you but you feel that you had an engaging conversation ask them for a quick review. The more reviews you have the more confidence future contacts will have in hiring you!

Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

This is so true! Thanks for sharing, @DJEddieB.   We know that more reviews lead to more hires, so this is a great tip!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TackMaster ChefPaulStaley
TackMaster

My Best Tip

My best tip to getting hired is to give the potential client as clear of a picture of your business as possible. Personalize your bids, showcase some of your best photographs of your work, refer to your reviews, add links to your personal sites, etc. The better overall picture that the customer has of your company, the more confidence they will have in hiring you!

Moderator Meckell

This is a great tip, thanks for sharing @ChefPaulStaley!