Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

"Customer Chose You" fault and solution.

So I've got a big problem with the "customer chose you" platform. If someone is checking out your profile and decides to see how it works they click a generated statement or question such as " what's your availability" or " what's your quote" . We as a contractor get the notification and if we reply we are charged for that lead and that is all well and good if these customers were serious about getting work done. The problem is when we reply the customer goes ghost and we hear nothing back from them off of our reply yet we're still charged. Thumbtacks answer to this is it's our job to sell ourselves and want to give us advice on how to sell ourselves properly. As someone with a 4.9 rating and a Top Pro I have no problem selling myself. My problem is people don't want the work done they're playing around with the app costing us as contractors a significant amount of money while TT is collecting this money we're losing it. I have a simple solution for this problem but no one wants to hear me so I'm putting it public in hopes of it not getting deleted like my last post did. If the customer doesn't respond to our answer we shouldn't be charged however if the customer response to our answer then charge us. I'm sure many contractors on here will agree with me on that simple solution. Why is this so hard to understand?
Occupations (1)
States
17 responses
StoriesUpSTL
Level 8

Re: "Customer Chose You" fault and solution.

@Bateshandyman I think the solution is at least a partial refund for:  A)  No reply to our reply if we are asking a question (not just giving a quote).  You throw out a price and they ghost you, it could be that they don't like your price.  You ask for more details on the project and they ghost you, they are just tire kicking OR B) No hire of any pros on Thumbtack.

I understand what you are saying about the quote and them not liking it but that's not the case. I always reply with a question about the details if they're asking for a quote. It's silly to just throw a number out there without knowing the specific details on a job.
RevDrLCT
Level 6

@Bateshandyman that makes sense to me. I was under the impression that if you told TT that you were ghosted, your charge would be refunded. That happened with me and my Fee was refunded.
Moderator Kameron

@Bateshandyman @StoriesUpSTL I can both see where you're coming from with these suggestions. When more than one customer reaches out and then doesn't get back to you I'm sure it can be easy to get frustrated or discouraged. However, Thumbtack is here to help you get leads and a possible foot in the door with those customers, but not each one will turn into a hire. I'm not sure if you were on the site before when we used to charge per every quote that was sent by a pro whether the customer responded or not. That system resulted in many more non-responsive customers for pros than the current one where the customer had to have enough interest to choose you from a list and reach out. On top of that, we're diligently working on ways to bring stronger and more accurate leads, because there's always room to improve. Even in the future when Thumbtack is at its very best, not every connection will turn into a hire. So what I ask is that you try to think of things in more of an aggregate. Out of the amount you spend on Thumbtack per month do you make a significant amount to offset the cost? If not then let's look at what we can do to improve your success rate through a combination of adjustments to your account and feedback. 

Kameron I completely understand that not all leads will turn into a hire and I am fine with that. It's this one particular platform that is the issue. Of the ones I've answered only about 30% of them replied back and I'd say 20 % turned into jobs. Now can you honestly say this is an acceptable way of running a business. Don't get me wrong TT has helped me grow to the point of I don't want to get any bigger. I also appreciate what TT has done for my business and will continue to use it. It's the one platform that's absolutely eating my percentages and budget up. There has to be a better way to do this and I've suggested what I think will remedy the problem of paying for tire kickers and it's not that difficult. Don't charge us to answer the first question they have when they just click on one of the generated questions, but if they reply to our answer then charge us for example. I get a notification that Jon Doe wants to know my availability. I reply "What is a good time for you, my schedule is flexible" and they don't reply then there is no charge but if they answer then the charge is applied. That seems fair to me because you at least know they aren't just looking at the app and screwing around. How is that not fair to anyone ?

Also every answer y'all give me suggests adjusting my profile or budget or whatever . Its not me that needs to do any adjusting when I'm dealing with someone's that is serious about getting work done and actually am given the chance to sell myself and my services I land about 95% of the jobs. That's a very good percentage but if no conversation takes place then it's impossible to sell anything and that's my issue getting charged when no conversation takes place. I do t need to adjust anything the way we are charged on the "customer chose you" format is what needs adjusting.
StoriesUpSTL
Level 8

@Kameron I do think of Thumbtack as an aggregate and that's why I have such a probelm with the hidden manual quotes.  I know for a fact that I've had customers not see my quotes.  I have to hunt these customers down on LinkedIn, explain to them how they can find my quote not in their inbox but in a different location under "Pros Who Match Your Project".  If I spend $600 a month on Thumbtack and get 2 x $2000+ gigs, that's awesome, but what about the person that I wasn't able to connect with because they never saw my quote?  That could have been a $4000 gig.  And maybe that would have cost me only another $26.  If I am one of the 5 manually sent quotes allowed, Thumbtack should make sure that the customer is aware of the quote.  The whole argument for not allowing more than 5 manually sent quotes is that Thumbtack doesn't want the customer to be overwhelmed/annoyed.  But I'm sort of contributing to that possible annoyance because I have to hunt them down on LinkedIn.  Don't you see the irony in that?  If  Thumbtack put manually sent quotes in their inbox...everybody wins.  The only people that are going to complain about too many Pros contacting them are the people that don't hire a pro.  

Moderator Meckell

@StoriesUpSTL I can see where your frustration is coming from. It looks like we had a similar talk about this already where we passed along your feedback on this subject. You can see that in this thread here. Thanks for reaching out about this again. We'll keep you updated with any changes!

0 Kudos
TackMaster LZDNVG
TackMaster

I'm a top pro and when it seems like people are pushing buttons I totally agree, it is definitely frustrating! In my opinion, and I've done the research, compared to other lead generation sites there is NO CONTEST with the cost/benefit of Thumbtack as a lead service for owners. Considering that other major lead generation sites make you pay $300 + to even SIGN UP and then still charge $15-30 per lead is CRAZY considering how Thumbtack operates. Because of that, I chalk up the 1 or 2 customers clicking around to a cost of doing business, just as the people who send a random message on my website who aren't really looking to hire. 

If you want to dive in a little further... are you familiar with the lead conversion rates for contractors in your area? What about from your own website (if applicable)? These are stats that small business owners need to be aware of to even know how to compare how they are doing on Thumbtack, or anywhere else for that matter. If you haven't yet, I suggest analyzing that info and comparing it to your conversation rates for Thumbtack (examine the number of leads to sales and also amount of views to leads) and figure out where the gap is. If you have a higher profile view to lead ratio than your lead to sale ratio that is telling of where the gaps are and vice versa. Also, compare these numbers to your website (if applicable) as well. 

I've crunched the numbers and my ratios are continually higher on Thumbtack.