Filter by distance to find jobs where you want

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
4 112 10.2K

Looking for more work? The Jobs tab is where you can find customers who’ve already reached out to other pros.

We show you opportunities up to 150 miles away to give you as many chances as possible to be hired. But pros wanted more control over the distance of jobs in the Jobs tab.

We heard you: now you can filter the Jobs tab by distance.

jobs-tab-geo-filter.png

Thanks to your feedback, we learned that showing jobs up to 150 miles away in the Jobs tab made it difficult for some pros to sort through and find the right customers.

To keep seeing jobs up to 150 miles out, you can continue using that filter when you browse your Jobs tab. But now you can also narrow your view down to customers within five miles, or somewhere in between.

Here’s how:

1. Go to the Jobs tab.
  2. Click the drop-down menu that shows “Within 150 miles.”
  3. Select the distance filter you want.
  4. Watch the list update with nearby jobs.

Note: If you use the Thumbtack for Professionals app, make sure you download the latest version for access to the new Jobs tab filter.

Remember: Jobs tab opportunities aren’t as valuable as the leads in your inbox. That’s because those leads come from customers who’ve picked you first from a list of pros in their search results. Learn more about using the Jobs tab in Thumbtack Help.

And let us know how you’re using the new Jobs tab filter in the comments below.

112 responses
Active Community Member

I am still receiving notifacations for jobs farther away than the limit I set on my jobs filter.  Please correct this problem!

Community Veteran

Same thing here! I'm on Long Island in NY. I constantly get requests from CT because it's within 25 miles ACROSS THE LONG ISLAND SOUND, which means my car would have to drive on water! To actually make the trip by land, I have to drive over 35 miles west, go a few miles north, then drive back 35 miles east, making it over 150 miles round trip!!! Yet, I consistantly get leads from people "across the pond" who reach out to me, even though their travel radius is only 25 miles. Now, ok, I get it if TT is doing a 25 mile radius - however  I DO NOT HAVE MY ACCOUNT SET BY RADIUS!!! I took the time to enter in every zip code I service, because there are certain gang-riddled neighborhoods that I will not service as a woman walking alone carrying $10K worth of camera gear. So, if you're not located in my zip code list, you shouldn't see me come up in the search! Furthermore, the person in CT wouldn't even bother to contact me, knowing themselves that Long Island is very far from them, but apparently TT doesn't bother to show what town the pro is located in!!! If it showed the town the person would clearly not bother to contact!!

Community Expert

@ChefOfAllSeason just wanted you to know that I saw this post and have responded to your most recent thread about it. Look forward to discussing this with you further.

Community Expert

@Howardlbca I while we don't have specific data to share for this, it's something we know to be true. The opportunities in your Jobs tab are shown to you when a customer has already directly contacted another pro specifically. The likelihood of receiving a hire from expressing interest is lower than if the customer were to contact you directly and show up for you in your inbox as a new lead. This is why pros can send quotes out through the Jobs tab for free and only pay if the customer responds to the quote. Of course, pros still get hires by sending quotes for these opportunities. It just happens to be less frequently than hires that occur through a direct lead. 

Community Expert

@Themakeupconnec thanks for sharing your feedback with us about the travel distance. I can see it certainly make sense to have the distance set by distance driven instead of by the general radius . 

Community Expert

@Howardlbca as I mentioned, in order to look into this for you we'll need examples to work from. Feel free to direct message us with those when you can. 

Active Community Member
This message is annoying and distracting so please stop including it in the jobs tab : Get the customers you want, directly to your inbox.
Active Community Member

How do I direct message you? 

Active Community Member

8EC1D2DA-89D4-400C-BB36-487C9D801792.jpeg

Active Community Member

Please see the screenshot I sent of a notification for a job in Palo Alto which is more than 5 miles from my designated work area. 

Community Expert

@Howardlbca to send a direct message you'll just need to click on the person's name/picture, view profile, and the direct message button.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Howardlbca I just checked your jobs tab and when it's filtered to 5 miles, I'm not seeing this request. However, when I change the filter to 50 miles, I am seeing that job. Can you send us a screenshot of your Jobs tab set with the 5-mile radius filter? 

Active Community Member

I am receiving job notifications both on my iPad and my android phone but when I go to the jobs tab there is nothing there. 

5E01839C-17E6-454A-8869-6D4FE609061D.png

Active Community Member

F64B7547-8CC5-4369-AEB2-C9C177B13B19.jpeg

Active Community Member

To clarify,   I receive job notifications both on my iPad and android phone outside of my designated work area. When I look at the jobs notification page those jobs are not displayed unless I increase the work area to a larger size,  25 miles for example.  Then they show up. 

Community Expert

@Howardlbca even though you've set the distance filter in the Jobs tab to 25 miles you could be notified of jobs outside of that area. If you're notified of an opportunity that you feel is too far then I'd simply recommend passing on it.

Active Community Member

I set the distance to 5 miles and dozens of times a day I receive notifications for jobs greater than 5 miles from my work area. That is extremely annoying and a waste of time so if possible, and I am sure it is, please do something to correct this problem. I am not the only pro who is unhappy about this!!!

Community Expert

@Howardlbca Thanks for letting us know. I've made sure to pass on your feedback in regards to matching Jobs tab notifications to the distance filter.

Active Community Member

This information is not helpful at all and I don’t need to see it numerous times, every day, so please ask your technicians to delete it:

7A70582E-344F-45D9-979E-B3FD2C52AC30.jpeg

Community Veteran

OMG!!! Yes!!!! I spend my day swiping off dozens and dozens of irrelevent jobs from the surrouding 5 states and the counties that I don't service, and now, on top of it, I've got to swipe off this repeat spam too? PLEASE GET RID OF IT!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DJStevie When I was making cakes full time, I took a lot of jobs even further than 150 miles away. You are able to filter out the further leads if you don't want them, but they are still there as an option for pros that are willing to travel 🙂

Community Expert
@DustiO
Travelling 150+ miles isn't feasible for me and many Pros. That is why I suggested travel preferences to be in sync with Promote and Jobs tab.
What is so difficult for Thumbtack to understand that?
DJ Stevie 7-8-2019
Community Expert
@Kameron
I just replied to Dusti about this same thing in this thread.
I thought that at one time I suggested synching travel preferences to both Promote and Jobs tab. Any update on that suggestion?
DJ Stevie 7-8-2019
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DJStevie We like to give pros the flexibility that they need with their accounts. You can filter yours as you would like, and we will let other pros who would like different travel filters still keep that capability. Thanks for the feedback!

Community Veteran

I have a saved image of another non vetted lead in the jobs tab. It is a pdf file, not a screen shot. This is not a distance issue, it is something else. It is difficult to categorize it. You must see it for yourself. How do I send it to you?

Active Community Member

This problem has not been resolved.

@Meckell wrote:

@DJSteviebecause of feedback like yours we did make the update that you can filter the Jobs tab by distance, which you can see here. So, if you do only want jobs in the Jobs tab that are 50 miles away, set the filter to 50 miles. Whatever distance you set the filter to last will stay at that distance for the next time you check. 

I do want to add that your area is set in the jobs tab. We send you jobs that are 5-150 miles away from the zip code listed in your profile. 

Community Expert

@DustiO

There shouldn't be a filter set in place if travel preferences are synched, as I state previously. The filter came to be because we complained about receiving jobs that are 150+ miles away( Pros asked for it, but no proof of those Pros were given) Now, you say that TT gives Pros flexibility that they need within their accounts. Very confused because if we weren't receiving jobs that far away, there would be no complaints. I would love to know the many Pros who suggested that they wanted to receive jobs 150+ miles away.

Another insight, this is easily fixed by tweaking software. I hope that my feedback has been passed on, but I have no way of following up on it.

DJ Stevie 7-9-2019

Community Expert

@Meckell 

I don't want jobs outside of my travel preferences!!! I've mentioned that many times, and even replied several times to Dusti about that in this thread. Changes were made because we complained about initially receiving jobs 150+ miles away because Pros asked for this option? Which Pros?

Who in their right mind travels that far for jobs? Not to be sarcastic, but would you drive daily over 150 miles each way to go to work?

DJ Stevie 7-9-2019

Community Manager
Community Manager

Again, @DJStevie - Some pros like to only pay automatically for leads within a certain area, but like the ability to CHOOSE if they want jobs outside that area on a case by case basis. Your feedback has been noted.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChefOfAllSeason go ahead and just send it in a private message! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DJStevie I am a dance instructor and choreographer on the side and I have driven further than 150 miles multiple times to teach a class or set choreography. There are pros who will travel that far and some who don't. If you don't want to drive 150 miles for an event, you don't have to. There is a filter set in place in the Jobs tab for you to only see the jobs at the distance you want. 

Community Veteran

I get jobs from 5 other states!!!!

Also not working:

- "how you compare" data is missing, only showing my stats, not my "competition's" stats

- Requests misplaced in the wrong category are not refunded! I bid on headshots and it turned out the guy wanted photos of his kitchen cabinets! I wrote to him all about headshots, and quoted him prices for headshots. Clearly, there was no messages shown to me that this was for cabinets, as I would have NOT responded! His budget was only sufficient for an in-studio mini-session. Architectural sessions are twice the price. I thought I was bidding on headshots. It was in the wrong category and I got charged for it!!!

- Tons of bogus requests still coming in. it is rare than anyone responds after they reach out to me. And it's NOT my inability to properly communicate - I've booked nearly 400 jobs through tt and have 135 5-star reviews, so it isn't ME!

-etc, etc, etc...

Community Veteran

I calculated it by response rate based on all bids I submitted for the year, at that time.

Community Expert

@DefiningImagery

I took a look in your Jobs tab to see that all opportunities being shown there are within a 150-mile radius. To see opportunities in closer areas I recommend setting the filter to a lower mileage.

The how you compare data error is one we've discussed with you before and it's one that's been reported. I'm sorry to hear it's still not been fixed and we appreciate your patience. 

The best way to let us know about the lead you received being for the wrong category will be by hitting "help with a charge" in your Payments page. Let our teams know in the refund request that the lead was in the incorrect category and they'll review it further. You can also share the lead with Meckell or I in a direct message and we can take a second look with you. 

Community Veteran

1. I have set that back to 100 several times and it keeps resetting itself to 150. I actually only work 20 miles to the north and about 35 miles to the west, and 60 miles to the east. I spent a week, several years ago setting up all the specific zip codes where I am willing to accept jobs. TT now completely ignores that. It is even ignored when people reach out to me directly from search results.

2. Yes, I've reported the compare error many many many times for over 14 months now and never ever ever has it ever been addressed properly and fixed.

3. Your reps argue with me that the client's message stating that this headshot was actually for cabinetry, was displayed at the time I bid and the I consciously chose to bid anyway. NO I DID NOT! That message from the client was NOT shown at the time I bid and I did not see it until much later, when I went in to see if he had responded to my HEADSHOT quote! An architectural request in the headshot category is unquestionably MISCATAGORIZED and should be REFUNDED without question!

Community Veteran
I take jobs at 150 miles from where I am.
Community Veteran

I went to your profile and clicked on "private messsage". It directed me to a page that says "private message" but has no provision to leave one

Community Veteran

@Kameron I must disagree with your assertion that hires are more likely to occur if they originate from the inbox. It behooves one to ask why you said that. The leads provided in the jobs tab are equally as likely to ghost as those in the inbox. The only difference is if I am ghosted on a lead in the jobs tab, I lose nothing. My policy is to only respond to maybe 5% of anything I see in the inbox; ghosting is costly and  very frequent. Experience and money wasted on ghosties make me very cautious about what is in there. 

Community Veteran

@ChefOfAllSeason  I haven't had ANYONE contact me using the Jobs tab in 5 months now. In most cases my quoted price was better than the service pros using Promote. I use Promote currently. The powers that be at Thumbtack decided to take away the option for the service pro to see if the lead viewed your quote was taken away back in February. More than likely that feature will never be brought back. In my humble opinion I have a real hard time believing these leads that pop up in the Jobs tab are real.

Community Veteran
@Hankster: I agree with you 100%. The percentage of ghost leads has sky rocketed at precisely the same time promote was enacted. Not informing us whether or not a customer read our quote is a bad idea.
Active Community Member

I am so tired of receiving dozens of job notifications up to 150 miles away every day, and having to pass on every one of them.  Such a huge waste of my time and attention!  Why don’t you correct this problem?  If you don’t soon, I will delete the Thumbtack app and end my relationship with a Thumbtack.

Active Community Member

I received 39 job notifications yesterday and only 8, or twenty percent, were within the five mile radius I set.  That’s why I turned off push notifications on my phone.  I can’t spend my day checking notifications that are not relevant to me.  Is there a plan to address this problem?  If so, when will it be resolved?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Howardlbca were these jobs ones that are in your Jobs tab or customers reaching out to you directly? 

Active Community Member

Jobs tab.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Howardlbca you'll see jobs in the Jobs tab as far as 150 miles away. However, you are able to filter them by distance by following the steps above. I just checked your Jobs tab and filtered it to five miles. I am not seeing any that are more than five miles away. Could you possibly share an example?

Active Community Member

The filter resets every time and does not stay on 5 miles.  This has been an ongoing problem for weeks on my Android phone.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Howardlbca are you completely closing out of the app versus just exiting the app?

Active Community Member

I don’t understand your question.  I disabled push notifications.  I would be happy to speak with you by phone.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Howardlbca go ahead and give our customer support team a call at 800-948-2034. They'll be happy to talk with you and help you get this resolved. 

Active Community Member

So far today I received 10 job notifications and only 2 are in my selected job radius.

C2EE408C-5EA2-47E5-B407-0DF24FBA2785.png