Introducing Price Assurance!

Community Manager
Community Manager
3 171 9,718

Hi pros,

You told us you should only pay for leads you have a real shot at winning — and we agree. That’s why we’re rolling out Price Assurance for your services with targeting preferences. 

With Price Assurance, your exact match leads are eligible for:

• Unread refunds. If the customer doesn’t look at your first message within 48 hours, you never really had a shot at the job. So we automatically credit the cost of the lead back to your Thumbtack balance. Look for “Read” under the messages you sent. These read receipts show you the most recent message the customer saw. 

• Shop around savings. If a customer contacts multiple pros from the start, it means more competition for you. We don’t think you should have to pay full price these. So the more pros initially competing, the lower the price (for everyone using targeting preferences). 

Check out the full terms and conditions to learn more. 

So what do we need from you?

• Turn on your targeting preferences. You’ll pay automatically (at a 20% discount) for leads that exactly match your preferences. Learn more about targeting preferences.

• Respond to leads within 4 business hours (8am - 8pm local time). If the lead is an exact match to your targeting preferences and you pay automatically, you’ll be covered by our Price Assurance.

Frequently asked questions

How will I get the unread refunds? 
Unread refunds and shop around savings will both be credited back to your account automatically. Check your Payments to see what you’ve saved. 

When will I get my unread refund?
We’ll email you when an unread refund is on it’s way. These can take 3-4 days to appear in your account. 

Shop around savings are included in the lead price. You'll see the savings reflected in your Payments 15-20 minutes after you get the lead.

What else do I need to know?
We're also changing the cost of leads for some services to ensure they match the quality of the lead you get. You’ll see those changes starting Monday, Oct. 28. 

Price Assurance for pros carries a simple promise: when you set your targeting preferences and pay automatically for those leads, you’re protected. We’re excited to share this update with you —  and stay tuned because we have more coming soon!

171 responses
Community Regular

I hope these changes will help small business owners like myself. I am constantly paying for customers who I match with and cant get a reply back. Im putting more money in than im receiving at this point. I also have people under bidding me smh

Community Veteran

By "exact match" to my Target preferences, are Calendar availabilities included? For example, If the hours 6am-4pm of December 4 are blocked off and a lead comes in that matches ALL my preferences but is a project that must be done during the blocked off time period, is it still an exact match? Does it fulfill the "exact match" criteria for the Price Assurant program? Am I still liable to pay for the lead? 

I have attempted to ask the Support Team and have been given vague and conflicting answers. 

Community Regular
Can anybody explain to me how this is going to help?! It states that you get a refund if you’re message is unread for 48 hours. Only if it’s unread. So if they simply click on the message and never respond, your money is still spent. I would love to believe that Thumbtack is our for our interest, but it is so difficult when there is no effort shown to allow us as pros to keep our money with unlikely customers. And, if you go on thumbtack as a customer, it looks so enticing to just hit the “check for availability” button with no strings attached. The customers have no idea how much we’re getting charged. In fact, they don’t even know we’re getting charged. I can’t wait for an update that is 100% in the favor of our money spent.
Community Newcomer

I had reached out to a potential customer and it seemed like the customer wanted to hire me.   It seemed like the customer stopped communication and I had reached out to customer pertaining to sed job and no reply. Is there anyway to contact customer to see if they still want to hire me? I have ran into this problem with multiple customers

Community Regular

Hello!

I'm a personal trainer and I live in nj.  However I live 6 miles from Philadelphia pa.  Customers travel to my studio to be trained.  This being said, when I choose customers travel to me in travel pref I am given the option of a radius.  This presents a huge problem for me as no one from pa is willing to travel to nj for a trainer.  I have been stuck paying hundreds of dollars on useless leads i can't utilize for a long time now.  Will this fix address my current problem?

Community Regular
Good afternoon! I am writing this to give some some constructive feedback. After talking with many pros, I believe it would be more advantageous for all of the pros if you would allow refunds for all clients who don’t respond with 48 hours. Period. Not only when they’re unread. They could easily read the message and never respond. Furthermore, it would be nice if customers weren’t going into this blindly having no idea that the pros are getting charged when they check for availability. It is unfair that the pros get charged for every single lead that we are targeting. Most of our leads cost upwards of $40, in which they reach out to multiple pros. My wife and I are incredibly professional with all of our clients, so it is not our doing for not landing these. It is simply due to all the customers out there that are “window shopping” with no real desire to commit. It would be more advantageous for the customers to have to buy credits, or maybe something else. But it would need to be something that would make the stakes just a hair higher for the customers. The stakes at this point are I my high for the pro. And we pay a lot. Please do something that is going to drastically change the amount we spend. I wish I talked to pros, and they said they stick around even after they build their clientele but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. . .
Community Regular

Evidently from all the other comments, transparency is something lacking, it has been for years. When "Transparency" is a question on a pro survey, yet it is never addressed... that only exacerbates the issue. 

NOW, the latest and greatest "benefit for the pros" is some new program which is like the OLD program only you have to be automatically charged in order to get a refund. Just stop messing around with the system, go back to what it was a couple years ago and leave it alone. Heck, go back to credits for that matter! 

Community Newcomer

They just need to improve. This platform has the potential to be great for both pros and consumers. However several pros being charged for the same customer is unacceptable. Being charged when a customer simply ask a question like, " what form of payments do you accept" and you never hear back- or for folks that are just shopping around. It's starting to feel like I am paying more for being on Thumbtack than I am able to make on Thumbtack.  It just needs to be more fair. If a customer contacts one pro- that's a true lead. If a customer contacts 3-5 pros that's ridiculous and the only person winning is Thumbtack at that point. I hope things improve quickly. 

Community Newcomer

Some leads are just too much and costumers are not calling back

Community Newcomer

What happens when a customer request your services in a targeted field or more then one field and for whatever reason the pro declines but is charged anyway. 

Community Regular

Just to put it out here, in my opinion some of the lead costs dont match the jobs offered, perhaps one size does not fit all. We all live and work in certain areas especially new small business,  in small outlying areas as you should know every penny counts. The customers in these areas are looking for quality at low bid prices, so it's hard to keep up with the bigger cities,  just wondering if there is a way to do area specific lead pricing?? A little incentive to use thumbtack for longtime relations.

Community Regular

I would like to formally ask Thumbtack to let customers know that every vendor they choose is being charged.  I may get hits, and even have phone calls set up, but people don't show up for the phone call.  I realize that this is not Thumbtack's fault, but it could help if Thumbtack had a statement such as, "Please be courteous to our hard-working pros.  Each one pays for you to select their name, even if you do not choose them."  Thumbtack prompts customers to contact many vendors.  They should follow up with this type of statement helping the pros that make Thumbtack so popular with customers.  Do you agree, Thumbtack?  Are you willing to do this?  Thank you!  

Community Regular

I also thought about this and then again thought , perhaps this would cause someone to get on here and play games to the tune of getting the quote then not fowling thru other than us to pay the lead fee ??

Active Community Member

@Meckell How will we know the cost of a lead for any one service BEFORE we commit to paying it be turning on Targeting? You have said the costs are changing. You did not say the cost is going up, or down. So we have to take the risk of turning on targeting just be charged for a guaranteed price that we will not see until we are billed? Right?

What is the price?

Community Regular

I am relatively new to the Thumbtack world, and am glad that they have made some adjustments to their policies that could help the pros.  BUT...I still say to Thumbtack, customers should be obligated to let a pro know/fill in a box with the dates when they need the service.  We should not have to pay "blind", not knowing the vital info.  Also, why should we pay for a lead, only to get no reply to our email to the prospective customer...this needs to be added to the new policies...a pro should receive a refund if there is no courtesy of a response to their email to a prospective customer, not just be issued a refund if the customer doesn't open the email within 48 hours...they should be encouraged to respond.  And if they don't, even though they've opened the email, the pro should be refunded.  It's like we're paying for nothing...just subsidizing Thumbtack.  Not helpful.  

Active Community Member

@Meckell  The largest single issue in the past with Targeting was that we are never told via email or text message that we have accepted an exact match. Then our account is charged and do not even know that we have a customer. They are expecting a quote or a clarification of the schedule or maybe they just want a call. How will we be notified so that we can add a personalized message telling them what and when and be allowed to attach a sample report with that message? TT took away the attached file feature which is so important and doing that on a phone is very cumbersome. Have you got a plan for notifying the Pros that we got billed for an exact match? We will have to change our phone to check for emails every 3 or 4 minutes. Or would you suggest every minute? There are times when the network delays text messages by several minutes. We need help here. We also need more information about notification when the Leads are matched. Will there be a time stamp on it? There is no time stamp on messages right now. We must rely on our ISP or SMS carrier to add a time stamp and it may be displaced from the time when the Job Poster sent it.

Active Community Member

I've been with TT just over 3 years now. Most of my business is derived from TT. We have had a tumultuous relationship to say the least. I was recently courted by a TT competitor who actually'stole' my entire profile off TT and began sending me leads, then expected me to pay about $100/4 leads. This infuriated me and gave me some perspective. As a friend said to me, in today's business climate, "It's easier to cross the line and do the deed and ask for permission/forgiveness after the fact." Sad yet true, and very applicable here.

I have also attended a TT meet up in which the host didn't even show up. So there's that.

My humble opinion is this: You are a Pro-work TT like a pro. Use them better than they use you. As previously stated, measure your worth. Set your standards high. Limit your budget. Bullet your descriptions. Link to your website for more information. And for heaven's sake follow up on every lead! TT is a lead-generating service. That's it. You are paying them to get you leads. You need to win them. Polish your profile. I've been a Top Pro for the last two years and I DON'T CARE. I am THE FIRST on the list in my area. I check TT 3x a day and I don't spend over $75/week and I make so much more than that off every lead I do get. I'm aggressive. I make my profile better than the others. I revamp it often. I just added my second location so now I have 2 times the coverage and price to pay. I've tracked every dollar TT has charged me since day 1 and much to my chagrin - it's still the best source for my leads and cost effective. I used to complain like everyone else here-and still get very triggered and frustrated when they change one thing and I start getting leads for things I don't do or have listed, or CS blames other CS's, no accountability, etc, etc...I still use them more than they use me. Polish your profile, add pics of your work, and for God's sake proofread your profile and check for spelling!! Try FB ads, Yelp!, social media and even Groupon and come back and let me know which one saved you time and effort and was the most cost effective for the most leads. I did the math. It's TT.

Community Regular

Thanks for let us express our toughts.  We Pros are  those who has the experience and knows by trial  an error what works and what doesnt.  We can have a big participation on how this tool  can work best for us.  By the losses and frustation caused by the erros of people that has not experience on the field we tend to withdraw from a service that could be a big service on   an our  business. What I  want is more Transparence on prices be up front and visible.  Make the program simple, I spent more money on mistakes and errors by no knowing how to use it that the real service it gave me. Also free trial or more economic to newbys so they learn how to use it without coslty mistakes that lead to frustation and leaving the program and causing bad recomendations. We are to busy to stop and learn something extra to our business knowlege all the way and  fast, we need something that give us wins not loses at the beggining.   A   gradient aproach  without loses and upsets with representatives who doesnt want to retribuite what was loss  by mistakes,  is necessary . Otherwise  is similiar to playing cards with  a new player who never was let to know the rules fully or be proficent on them. Its not fairgame!

Community Regular

So exactly how does this work. For example how does the cost of leads change as more pros are selected.

Community Expert

@InspectionsJCH 

If Targeting/Promoting, we don't know the cost of the lead until after we receive a question from the "customer". Only time we know the cost of a lead, is in the Jobs Tab/Opportunities.  I wish we knew the cost of the lead ahead of time, then it will help us manage our budget.

As for knowing if the cost has increased or decreased, I don't think that we will know. If each category had a set lead cost, then we can see if that lead cost has changed.

DJ Stevie 10-25-2019

Community Manager
Community Manager

@InspectionsJCH We're going to adjust costs so that our prices better match the value pros get from leads. Those costs will vary depending on job size, customer interest, the market in your area and more.  You can get a better idea of what leads will cost you on your weekly spend limit.

If you have your targeting preferences set and a customer who is an exact match reaches out to you, you should definitely be getting notified. If you're not, make sure that the New direct leads and messages notification is turned on. If after that you're still not receiving notifications, please contact us and we'll investigate this further. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ChefOfAllSeason if the lead is for a day that you already had blocked off, it is not an exact match. However, if the customer has that day but also selects allow pro to suggest other dates it would be an exact match since the customer is saying that they're open to days other than the one that was blocked.

If you have a targeted exact match, that lead is eligible for unread refunds and shop around savings.   

Community Regular

Thumbtack? ambiguous charging.

There are so many things about Thumbtack? that are just completely ambiguous to the point it seems very intentionally deceptive.

Let me make this as clear as possible. If I’m going to agree to exact match auto payments I need to know with each gig exactly how much I am charged before the 20% discount. I also need to be able to turn off exact match for specific dates that I am already booked for. I want to be able to schedule these dates ahead of time and not the day of as that is completely inconvenient and time consuming.

I need to be able to do this very quickly and easily since like most entertainers I can’t be at two places at once and once I receive a booking outside of thumbtack I don’t want to pay auto payments for exact matches. Especially non-specific ambiguous charges!

I also want to be able to adjust the region that I am open to according to bookings I may already have that day so that I’m only considered for gigs that I can get to and from on the same day. I’m sure I’m not the only one that this would be convenient for. 

Please let me know how I can do all this and make it worthwhile to be enrolled with exact match. Thank you

Community Expert

@Meckell 

Where I see this as a small step towards refunding Pros, I agree with @dr3wography if you would allow refunds for all clients who don’t respond with 48 hours. Not if they read a message. A "customer" may click on our message, but forget about us, as they do now. That's still ghosting and not a serious "customer". If a "customer" sends me a message then it shows me that he or she is interested in my services.

DJ Stevie 10-25-2019

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Keymasterfitnes just to get further clarification on this- are customers reaching out to you and then later mention that they aren't willing to travel to you?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jonathandonnell Pros are charged for exact matches. If you have your targeting preferences set and a customer who reaches out to you has a job that matches those preferences, you'll be charged automatically. If you decline the job, you'll still be charged as the customer's job matches your preferences and is an exact match.

If the customer's job doesn't match your preferences and is a partial match, you'll have the option to accept or decline and will not be charged if you decline. 

Community Veteran

We're also changing the cost of leads for some services to ensure they match the quality of the lead you get. You’ll see those changes starting Monday, Oct. 28. 

If Thumbtack are changing the cost of leads for some services to ensure they match the quality of the leads we get can we expect to see a cost reduction for 'poor' quality leads?

Regards,
Laurence

Community Regular

First of all thank your for giving the opportunity to voice our concerns... 

i was about to leave Thumbtak as a pro because of unjustified charges of non serious leads. 

Mant customers are just playing or checking price or shopping around... others are non serious and they never respond to our messages. 

I had a case where customer gave me his address to get the service at home and it turned out to be a fake address... another case where a customer booked a specific date and time then desapeared and never showed up at the agreed schedule and many other examples... 

i m investing more then what i l am getting while on Craigslist you can post and add for 5$/month and get hundreds of good return on this small investements. 

I would recommend the following : 

as we as pros are getting rated with reviews also a customer should be rated too and this has to be shown to us as pros before we pay for leads. 

Also a customer may pay a minimal fee of as low as 1 dollar at the time he places a project or request an appointment which can be refunded to him once the deal is done... 

there must be certain ways that you guys can do to guarantee seriousness of client requests 

i am saying that while I had already made up my mind to leave Thumbtak as a pro

Thanks, 

Manal

Community Regular

I feel like this is a response to my complaints and comments. I'm glad to see this effort!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good question @Abercrombpaint! The more pros a customer contacts, the cheaper the lead will be. 

Community Expert

@Meckell 

Will the first Pro contacted pay full price(whatever that is) and the other Pros pay discounted price? Or will discounted prices be adjusted accordingly?

DJ Stevie 10-25-2019

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DJStevie if you go to Price Assurance Terms and scroll down to shop-around savings, you can see more info on this. If after reading that you have follow up questions, don't hesitate to reach out! 

Community Regular

A few questions i dont see asked are, one do we know what the original price was before it was reduced? two how do we know it was reduced? and three how do we know if the customer viewed there email so we get a refund? There are lots of questions and concerns I have here in this new price assuance. We all (pro's) have noticed a spike in the lead cost latly. 

Community Newcomer

I am glad your hearing from the pro's. In adjusting the Fee's we pay.

Community Veteran

@Lar Thumbtack will adjust the prices of leads according to value. If a lead is of low quality, then the price will be low. Part of the criteria for lead pricing is: previous activity on the site and the level of customer seriousness. Thumbtack uses excellent judgement in these decisions and always gives us Pros a fair and honest price. I trust this new program wholeheartedly.

Community Veteran

@melissac2286 Excellent questions

Active Community Member
I have different hours of availability during each day. So if someone wants an afternoon (1-4pm) or evening appointment (4-8), and I have a 2:00, 3:00 and 5:00 available, I can’t/shouldn’t block out the whole day. THEY can opt for these three times of the day-I have to block the ENTIRE day or I get charged or miss out on a possible lead.
Active Community Member
Have you tried making your radius under 10 miles? Just curious.
Active Community Member
I get updates all day NOT via the app but SMS message so yes, we must rely on that. I get time stamps On everything though and I can still attach files and templates that I can edit. I have found that while I use primarily use my phone and tablet for all my business, I have to go into TT via laptop to access and/or change certain features. I’m aware every time there is an exact match. And while it may be a pain to set up, adding a separate bank account with funds set aside exclusively for a TT budget is something you may want to look into. That way if you hit your budget and they attempt to charge your card and it’s declined, TT will not give you any more leads until you pay them. I have had mine set up like that, and it saved me when my account was hacked in the Marriott breach. I was able to move a majority of my funds to the second account before it was drained from the primary account. I just happened to catch it as it was happening.
Community Regular

iCoach TishaiCoach Tisha

Hi guys!! I was reading down the comments Iand have seen some very interesting and surprising comments, I have had nothing but amazing clients and very profitable experience. 

Thumbtack is a tool to use to boost your business. How you hone that tool is your primary task as an entrepreneur, 

I find the platform and pricing very fair, remember, Thumbtack is an advertising tool. If I spent my money on Google Ads or Facebook, the ROI is much harder to achieve because it is hit or miss, yet you are still paying a largep chunk of your revenue for that ad. 

Thumbtack makes advertising a much more lucrative option to random ads and.puts us in direct contact with the customer. It is our job to turn those opportunities into sales. 

Thumbtack is a publicly traded company with a great valuation and will continue to grow, as a service to us. It is also a for profit company, we are the consumer.  If we want great customers, then bringing attention to our ad platform is part of our job as business people as well. This platform stocks your pond with fish, it isn't designed to put them on your dinner plate, that work is yours. 

If you have any questions about how I do it, please don't hesitate to contact me. (888)213-6390

Community Veteran

We really need to know the cost BEFORE we are charged, not after we get the bill.

Community Veteran

This may address part of the Ghosting issue. This may be a step towards a more fair price structure. And I POSITIVELY think this definition applies to Price Assurance. The Pros produce estimates that are visible to the Job Posters. All we are asking is for TT to provide estimates to us of what the pricing will be BEFORE we sign up for Assured Charges. This systems lacks Advice and Consent.

Please read before deleting. It is as positive as I can be.

Community Veteran

And you have stripped away a key question that makes a job lead an EXACT match for what this Pro wants to quote. We once had the ability to see the age of the house that will be inspected. Thumbtack took that away from us on the pretext that it stopped the customers at that question. Customers know how old the house is. Trust me on this. We all make decisions on the purchase of a used product based on age, such as used cars. But as it stands now, all TT thinks matters to the Pro is the square footage of a house. This is not enough information to make an EXACT match with a Home Inspector. I am POSITIVE about that statement.

Community Regular

Here's a good one..... I was "exact matched" with a customer that contacted 12 other Pros. The customer lead came in and states that they want my availability. If I reach out to the customer within a few hrs., and they respond back that they hired someone else, or basically any other reply, then I'm out the $$$. How is this beneficial to Pros? Change the system back to the 5 Pro bid limitation, and get rid of this instant match that SO many Pros have expressed disappointment with. 

Please, please inform the customer that EACH Pro they contact is charged XYZ! 

Contacted 12 pros • 3 responded
Get back to XXX by 10:46am tomorrow. After 24 hours, your rank in search results may drop.

Community Regular

What is TT's publicly traded share price? 

Community Regular

Yes I believe it is a important one as well, I see thumbtack never responded as they like to with some post.

Community Regular

I agree it is a tool, I will say tho I do get more leads and work from other paid sites and ggogle ads. I will also say it is about half the cost as I spend here and I still get more revenue from other lead generated sites for the money I spend. So with TT raising all there price and not being open about the new assurance or cost etc we will never know what we are truly paying for the leads or if the emails being read ever happened to get a refund. This all conserns me. 

Community Expert

@Meckell 

So, if I read correctly, if I'm the first Pro selected, then I pay full price. Next Pro pays less, third Pros pays less than second Pro, and so on.

But as a few asked in this thread, what is the original cost? What will discount be besides the 20% for Targeting? Also,(I'm not trying to repeat any of my previous suggestions for many months) but one other question asked  is why can't we get charged after we see the lead cost and make that decision to be charged?

DJ Stevie 10-27-2019

Community Regular
If I remember well and I’m positive, this was the case how TT handled leads and refunds at the beginning.
When the customer didn’t reply within 48 hours, the fee was automatically refunded.
Can anyone reassure me?
Community Veteran

@joeyberta True