Introducing Price Assurance!

Community Manager
Community Manager
3 171 7,197

Hi pros,

You told us you should only pay for leads you have a real shot at winning — and we agree. That’s why we’re rolling out Price Assurance for your services with targeting preferences. 

With Price Assurance, your exact match leads are eligible for:

• Unread refunds. If the customer doesn’t look at your first message within 48 hours, you never really had a shot at the job. So we automatically credit the cost of the lead back to your Thumbtack balance. Look for “Read” under the messages you sent. These read receipts show you the most recent message the customer saw. 

• Shop around savings. If a customer contacts multiple pros from the start, it means more competition for you. We don’t think you should have to pay full price these. So the more pros initially competing, the lower the price (for everyone using targeting preferences). 

Check out the full terms and conditions to learn more. 

So what do we need from you?

• Turn on your targeting preferences. You’ll pay automatically (at a 20% discount) for leads that exactly match your preferences. Learn more about targeting preferences.

• Respond to leads within 4 business hours (8am - 8pm local time). If the lead is an exact match to your targeting preferences and you pay automatically, you’ll be covered by our Price Assurance.

Frequently asked questions

How will I get the unread refunds? 
Unread refunds and shop around savings will both be credited back to your account automatically. Check your Payments to see what you’ve saved. 

When will I get my unread refund?
We’ll email you when an unread refund is on it’s way. These can take 3-4 days to appear in your account. 

Shop around savings are included in the lead price. You'll see the savings reflected in your Payments 15-20 minutes after you get the lead.

What else do I need to know?
We're also changing the cost of leads for some services to ensure they match the quality of the lead you get. You’ll see those changes starting Monday, Oct. 28. 

Price Assurance for pros carries a simple promise: when you set your targeting preferences and pay automatically for those leads, you’re protected. We’re excited to share this update with you —  and stay tuned because we have more coming soon!

171 responses
Community Regular

I honestly feel like we should not pay for leads that do not provide phone numbers and we don't secure them as a customer. Just paying for a lead that didn't lead us anywhere, but making a payment for an unsuccessful attempt to get a client. Especially when our rates are on our profile and they don't book with us.

Community Veteran
@Sashadr817 - a good point that has been brought up many, many times. Other similar sites do provide the contact info for the same price or less than TT. The targeting is not the same - but at least we get the contact info. I don’t mind not getting contact information from the leads here - but the cost is still too high for us NOT getting the contact info or more for our money. And again - please change the blue action buttons. Customers should only reach out to us because they know we are available and they see our rate. No more exact matches where it says “joe wants your availability”. “Joe wants an estimate”.
Community Regular
Okay yeah I'll look for the availability option & make sure it's on estimate. Can't they already see my prices though? They're on there.
Community Regular
Where is the action button?
Community Expert

@Sashadr817 correct, if you have your targeting preferences in place then your prices will be listed for customers to see. The buttons that @jcp referred to are the options the customer has to choose from when contacting a pro.

Community Regular

Im not on promote. dont like it. so in my situation,  if a customer reaches out to me and i accept the lead and get charged for it, we should have the same guarantee that our quote is read within 48 hours. I am not going to accept any more leads and only send quotes to people that dont pick me. i will pay then for it when they respond to my quote. loosing too much money on unread quotes.

Active Community Member
Did shop around savings disappear? I had a lead contact 7 pros last night and I don’t see a discount.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@crussell821 shop around savings is still around. How shop around savings works is the discount will build up over the first 15 minutes while the customer reaches out to multiple pros. No charges will happen until after that amount of time and the amount will be the same for all pros involved in that amount of time. 

Community Regular

I just have to throw this out here. I hate the fact that I have to pay for a lead that I don't get the job for. I respond, and then the client doesn't responds. I don't mind paying for a lead if I got the job, but if I didn't, why should I pay? You know every single client is going to reach out to 3-5 different Pros to compare prices, or what not. Thumbtack making money off all these Pros contacted but only 1 gets the job. 

Community Regular
I think regardless if you auto pay or not you shouldn't have to pay for a lead if they don't respond period! I've been with thumbtack a Long time now and I feel like it's More about them making The money now and not about the pros anymore.they provide contact info but that's it really and I've spent alot of money for those contacts, Last week I spent almost 200$ and didn't book a job one. And if the Job gets cancelled why shouldn't I get my money back if there's no way for me to do the job then I shouldn't have to pay. Just Saying if it wasn't for the pros would there be a Thumbtack???)
Community Veteran

@Fino  just to respond to your comment about paying for leads.  I agree - we shouldn't have to pay unless we get booked.  A different website runs their site like that - I rarely use it.  As for TT - I go through waves of it being really great and cost effective - - to completely awful.  So far I've had great success three months in a row.  I don't mind paying for a lead - but some of the prices are way too high.  Considering that the same exact lead, and the specs, are the same as 2 years ago but now the price is three times hire (a fact) and unlimited can respond.  That doesn't make sense no matter what spin is put on it.  If the cost was lower and reasonable and there was some sort of cap on how many a customer can reach out to  . . . it would make sense.  All I can say for those that complain or are not happy - which I have done both many times on this site . . .    we all have a choice how we spend our advertising dollars and how we determine what is working and is it cost effective enough to be successful.  I also "pause" my business a lot when I can not respond immediately - I am on promote - I never respond to suggested leads or random people that reach out.  Too Expensive.  Price assurance is the only saving grace.   But I do also feel that if they just "read" our message and don't res[pmd - we should still get a refund - or like a $2 fee.  Nothing pisses me off more when they reach out to 3 of us, I respond in a minute - they never respond to the other two - they read mine . . .   then nothing.  No response period.  If the custmoer doesn't respond to any of our messages and just reads them,  then we should get a refund.  Because they ask "wants an estimate" . . .  the customer goes and reads them all - then never responds to any - but our rate is already shown to them before they even reach out.  UGGGGG   !     We provide enough information about our services so the only should be reaching out to us because they are seriously interested in hiring us.  NOT to ask "are you available" or "wants an estimate" . . . .     

Good Luck to you . . . .    

Community Regular
Yes!!! Also, I think we should have an option to pay for the lead. For example, the potential client reaches out, they obviously say what they need or want, or at least have an idea. I think we should get the option of picking up that lead then paying for it. Why automatically pay for a lead that we might not want?
Community Veteran

@Fino  Well - if you're not on promote you can chose who you respond to if they reach out.  Just don't respond back.  Unfortunately Not on promote is way too high to take a chance.  I removed my "video production' services because we are not allowed to put in our rate or rate scale anywhere so I was getting too many promoted leads just asking for my rate - then no response back.  At $30-40 a pop.  No Way!  Promote is supposed to streamlined a client to my services - to increase my odds of getting booked - or as they say make the lead much, much more valuable- by applying my selected preferences with rate, calendar settings I pick and show my samples and reviews.   Not being able to show my rate is a basic fundamental in customer search and not able to show any kind of range in video production is completely unfair and ethically wrong.  

I've also been on a big push to remove blue click option buttons for customers that say "checking you availability" or "wants an estimate ".      How these are even options buttons when we have a calendar to show when WE ARE AVAILABLE - and on my leads is gives them an estimate already of what it will cost based on my preferences.  It just doesn't make sense.   Only let customers contact us with buttons that say - WANTS TO HIRE YOU - INTERESTED IN HIRING YOU.   And that's because they saw our rate, know we are available, read our reviews and saw our samples.  They will reach out to fewer pros - mak Nag many of us happy - and increase our odds of getting hired - which will make the high rates make a little more sense.  Because the  it really will be a "more valuable" lead.  But someone reach BG out to ask if I'm available- I respond and say yes with a relatable message to accompany that.  And they only READ it?  And never respond to me again?   No thank you.

Community Veteran

You spent $200 a week with no bookings?   Consider signing up with a TT support team member assigned just to you for guidance.   Unless you are getter a big return within 30 - 60 days - you need to rethink your choices.   don't consider a week by week cost.  If your not getting a return on your investment in a reasonable cycle - it's not a good investment.  Period.

Community Regular

I completely agree with you! I really dislike how Thumtack works after I have been using it for some time now. It might be time to look for a new, more affordable service. We should NOT have to pay if a customer simply reads your message but does not respond. You are right on the money!

Community Regular

Im sorry but this does not help 95% of us who use this service. I have already paid $30+ dollars for 3-5 leads or more and customers simply read the message and don't even reply. Its not fair to have to pay even if a customer reads the message but chooses not to respond. It should only be IF THEY RESPOND. Im sure I am not the only person who feels like this is a slap in the face.

Community Veteran
@focalbrite - you are paying $30+ for 3-5 leads? Consider that very cheap in comparison to other services. However, I agree - if they don’t read it at all there should never be a fee. Clicking on a Pro that they personally selected and then totally ignoring the thoughtful, appreciative and quick reply from the pro is rude and we should only pay if they respond to our retuning response. I make sure all my new customers are aware how the site works on our end as pros for their future reference. It’s the right thing to do. Educating the customers. Because customers truly feel bad when they learn they reached out to many Pros and they all have to pay in the fashion we do. They just do. Maybe if the fee wasn’t so high in certain categories it would be a little better - but $26 for a lead? And then they only read it and never respond? Thumbtack is comprised of mostly small businesses, self employed individuals. I feel this fact is overlooked and in order to maintain loyalty and success for Thumbtack pros these are concerns that truly need to be addressed. Hey - I do pretty decent on this site - but I also have compassion for the self employed pro. I do hear some big changes are coming- but not until towards the end of the year. Hang in there! Make wise choices with your preferences, etc.
Community Expert

@jcp 

@focalbriteYes, consider $30 for 3-5 leads very cheap. I've been paying average of $32 per lead. And one last month was for $51!!! I reached out to Support and questioned the lead cost, and they told me that it was of "High Value" for me for 5 hour wedding. But "customer" budget was under $300. They couldn't explain the "High Value" definition to me, and didn't understand when I explained my definition.

I also educate my customers about lead costs and try to give them an insight as to how it works from the Pros end.

Anyway, I had heard that big things were coming for late last year and was told last Summer to "keep the faith". But the only thing that came was name change to Targeting and Price Assurance, which hasn't really worked for me. I've given suggestions to improve it, but don't know what will come from that.

Also, I heard that something is rolling in the coming weeks from a few Pro friends of mine, and from what I heard, there are many negatives about it. I haven't heard anything about the end of this year, but from what you've heard @jcp , is it a major change coming?

Always keeping positive attitude with hopes of changes that will be benefit my business again on Thumbtack. But for the time being, other avenues have  and always will help me sustain my work(repeat customers such as Tim Tebow Foundation, Word of Mouth, local advertising, etc.)

DJ Stevie 2-14-2020

Community Regular

sorry i meant 30+ per lead, 150 + dollars for read receipts

Community Veteran
@focalbright - well that IS about the same as the rest of us. But I am somehow now on a good path of leads and cost efficiency. Consider signed up with a personalized support team member who will give you one on one help. Please don’t continue to spend $150 + with no bookings. It breaks my heart to hear that. Good luck!
Community Veteran
@DJStevie - “community expert” ....

I only heard changes are coming towards end of year but nothing specific. Here we go again! Just as I found my sweet spot again!