Save time with saved replies

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
3 17 2,114

It’s not always easy to drop what you’re doing and type a message to a new customer. We know you’re busy; enter saved replies.

Instead of taking the time to write the same response over and over (because, who wants to do that?), you can save your favorite responses to resend to more customers.

Let’s say you’re a DJ. The first thing customers might ask you about is a sample playlist or what equipment you provide. You know which questions you get asked all the time. And now you can create saved replies to answer those questions and cut down on your response time (and save your own time too).

Saved replies happen in your Inbox. Open any message and you’ll find a new bookmark icon (next to the paperclip) that’ll let you create, view, edit, and send saved replies.

Promoted Services_Artboard 1@2x.png

If you’re not sure where to get started with saved replies, here are a few tips:

• Look back through your messages with customers to find the common questions they ask you and which responses have worked well. If you find a gem, save it!
  • Type away, but keep in mind you have a limit of 500 characters. If you want to say more, let the customer know where they can go for more information or what they should do next.

Saved replies were created with you in mind, so we hope they’ll help you in your day-to-day and open the door to more conversations (and more jobs). Remember you can still personalize the message by including the customer's name or other details specific to their job. 

Pro tip: don’t forget to check your Insights to see how your response time and response rate are doing once you start sending saved replies.

Have ideas on what would make a good saved reply? Share them in a comment below.

17 responses
Community Expert

@TomB 

I can see what you're trying to say. Glad you used the example of a DJ, as I've been in DJ business for 29 years. Where it may save time to save, copy/paste and edit a few things(name, etc), personally, I like writing a different personable message for each customer. I'm very personable and feel I don't need to change what has been a success for me through my career. Customers appreciate the fact that I take time to write a personable message. I get more hires that way because I'm able to put any of their message(cost, situation, etc) in my message, and show that I do care and will work with them.

I've always  attached some files in my initial message, whether here on Thumbtack or when someone contacts me from Google, etc.

Now, what works for me, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. So if the copy/paste/edit works for others, then great. But maybe I'm old school, the way I was raised, and you know what? Being personable hasn't failed me yet. I have my parents to thank for that.

Active Community Member

@TomB , thanks for sharing this info.  For this new feature, is there a way to save attachments like how we used to with template messages?  My first message to prospects includes two PDFs that provide more information about my services.  From what I can tell, I don't see that option in a saved reply.

Please advise, thanks!

~RCPS

Community Manager
Community Manager

Great question @RCPS! You can add up to 20 attachments to saved replies, just like with your normal messages. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. 

Community Regular

Why hasn't????

@RCPS wrote:

@TomB , thanks for sharing this info.  For this new feature, is there a way to save attachments like how we used to with template messages?  My first message to prospects includes two PDFs that provide more information about my services.  From what I can tell, I don't see that option in a saved reply.

Please advise, thanks!

~RCPS

@Zebrajellyfish @RCPS a quick update on this. Originally the plan was to be able to add attachments to the saved replies, but as of right now it's currently not an option. 

Active Community Member
Thanks for the update. That is very disappointing to hear. I just feel like every helpful tool that helped us sell ourselves is being taken away. This is highly frustrating.
Community Regular

It seems to me that Saved Replies is the same as our Quote Templates.
If so, why not create an easy way to import our Quote Templates into the new Saved Replies feature?

Gary

Community Regular
Great suggestion
Community Newcomer

I can't find my previous responses when I choose to reply to an opportunity. When responding to a Lead, they are right there for me. Previously, whenever I wanted to reply to anyone looking for help, there was a link to my responses. Your system says look for the bookmark for saved replies. There is no bookmark on the page used to reply to an opportunity. I have to leave that page and go to the main page and then click on the saved replies. 

NONE of my previous replies are in the saved replies section so now I have to start from scratch. Why are you making it so complicated.. even more complicated than it was? 

Hey, @HypnoPro you're right, saved replies will only be available once you have a conversation going with a customer in the messenger and not when quoting on Opportunities. If you visit your settings page you can still view your past Quote Templates to choose from, and then copy and paste to the Opportunity that you'd like to quote on. I'm seeing that yours are all still there with 20+ to choose from. Hopefully this was helpful, let us know if you have more questions about this.

Community Newcomer

So, once I have the opportunity open, how do I access my Quote Templates without leaving that page? Is there a single link on that page I can open in a new tab? If not, why not? I would like to think Thumbtack changes the site to make it easier for the Pro's and those searching for one. As far as i can figure, it's harder now than ever before to Quote someone, not easier. 

@HypnoPro you raise a good point, in that you'd have to navigate back and forth between those two areas in order to copy and paste a template and send a quote on an Opportunity. I think it's important to keep in mind that Opportunities are a step behind customers contacting you from search results because the customers here have already reached out to other pros. You want to be the first pro a customer reaches out to. If you’re not, the "Opportunities" section is where you get a second chance, but we encourage pros to spend more of their time and effort acquiring and responding to those direct leads. With all of that said, I'll be sure to submit your request to add access to your quote templates when viewing an Opportunity. 

Community Newcomer

I didn't know that all "Opportunities" have reached out to at least one Pro. I thought someone looking for a Pro could just list their needs and let quotes come in. Is this not true now? 

Your comment opens up a great opportunity for you to educate/sell me on the best way to get more people to reach out to me. Thanks

Community Manager
Community Manager

@HypnoPro This is no longer the case since we created search results a little over a year ago. 
This guide does a great job of explaining how customers find pros. Check that out and let us know if you have any questions! 

The best way for you to get more customers to reach out to you is by setting your targeting preferences, responding quickly, and having a complete profile. If you'd like someone from our customer support team to go over all of this with you, feel free to contact us Monday-Friday 7am-6pm MST. 

Community Newcomer

Got it.. will do as recommended but perhaps you can answer one final question. How does responding quickly get me more customers reaching out to me? Does it indicate how pros respond on average? If it does, I need to get busy to get my average up. Been a real slacker here lately.. but thinking that's about to change. 

@HypnoPro responding quickly provides a better experience for customers (who want to hear back from you), and because of that it will then factor into and help your ranking in the search results. You can see how you compare to other pros by looking at your Insights page. Remember that response time is only counted through the messenger once a customer has reached out or responded to your quote. This means it doesn't apply to quoting on or passing on Opportunities until the customer responds to your quote. One last important note, if a customer reaches out to you but the job isn't one that you're interested in, remember that declining the job also factors into your response time because it will help to let the customer know they need to look for another pro. 

Active Community Member

The major shortcoming of this feature is the 500 character limit. Makes it useless to me. I've suggested multiple times to increase this to at least 2000.