Updates to Insights

Community Veteran
1 56 1,589

Pros have told us they want to better understand how they’re doing on Thumbtack and what they can do to improve. So we’ve made a few updates to your Insights to help.  Now, Insights will show:

• your activity on Thumbtack (including a breakdown by each of your services)(screenshot #1 below)
  • how you compare to the competition in your market (screenshot #2 below)

We ultimately want Insights to be a tool that helps you better understand and run your business.

This is just the first step toward helping you track your performance and make the right moves to improve. Check out your Insights and let us know what else you’d find helpful for us to include in Insights.

Insights1.png

Insights2.png

56 responses
Community Veteran
This is great and helpful. However why take away the insights per job? Why are you not keeping those as well? It’s helpful information. Why not keep those and add the other great things as well since we are now paying triple the cost. It’s just information that helps us and to take it away does t make sense. You’ve explained you added stuff great - appreciate that - but can you please explain why you are taking away helpful information per job. I look at the insights and the comparisons on every thing I quote. It’s been a great tool while I try to navigate all the recent changes that has caused my business to fall off tremendously. I need to learn and that information was helpful. Look forward to your response why TT has taken that out so I can understand clearly. I understand already adding the other information which is helpful yes - just explain why this one great tool of insights per quote would be removed. You removed a whole lot of helpful information so I’m confused why.
Community Veteran

Insights were one of the only thing TT was doing right for pros. Frankly, I was shocked when they started adding it to every bid page, because it was so helpful. Honestly, I was shocked that they actually seemed to do something for our benefit, because that had never happened before. Now it's been killed. The new version is worthless. The old one was perfect. Please put it back the way it was!

Apparently the idea behind it was to see how we compared pricewise, but now TT is back to hiding info about pricing - again trying to force us down lower and lower in our bids. Major backfire because look at this ticked-off request from a frustrated user who can't get a straight bid!TT_Request_Pissed_At_Lowballers.jpeg

Active Community Member

Kudos JCP!

Most importantly (Jason), did you (TT et al) bother to ask the ONLINE Pros (us) what we wanted??

Apparently not (and anybody else in this discussion thread please chime in if I am wrong), but I have "never" had anyone from TT bother to ask me for any feedback concerning any new enhancements/changes that should be done (or more importantly NOT BE DONE); however, you did bother to contact me to try and sell me on your "Instant Match" scheme. (Glad I did buy into that - what a sham?)  If you had bothered, you would have kept the previous INSIGHTS functionality.

And yes, adding the additional information/data would be appreciated, but the way that TT has done things in the past only lends to what we (ONLINE Pros) would considered as to be an alternative agenda by limiting access to transactional/process information. This lack of transparency only fosters one to think that you are trying to limit our understanding of what is actually going on behind the veil.

I can only say that your continued actions provides less understanding as to how effective this platform is in providing an adequate ROI for the time and effort that ONLINE Pros like myself, JCP, etc. have invested (for myself, that would be going on four years now), and I'd have to say that the ROI has been drastically moving in a downward spiral. And unless you can start providing better assurances, visible actions (like a more quality product), I am afraid you will continue to hemorrage a large proportion of experience professionals.

The ball is in your court. Time to step up and start showing us something that we really want and need in order to justify the money we are spending in order to make this platform possible... MTK

Active Community Member
I agree with @jcp
It’s nice to finally be able to see some of the other competition in the area, but only be able to guess at who you’re actually up against based on seeing how many reviews that pro has. It would also be good to see the entire scope of pros who quoted, if they as on instant match and not just those contacted. Am I missing something ?
Community Veteran
Thank you others pros here agreeing with me. After 4 years on TT only the last three months have I ever posted on a board here. I love reading other true professionals insights and I have personally reached out to many of you around the states. Appreciate that! Hang in there fellow Pros - never give up - just keep moving forward.
Community Veteran
Yesterday I sent customer service a email as to why Insights were changed and information taken away from us that was helpful. Here was the response:

“Thank you for sharing your feedback on the new "view competition" tab with us.
We have recently launched this update in the interface and I understand that you much prefer the older "view insights" one. Be assured that the changes/updates we make are set in place to maximize the use of our tools and features and help you grow your business” Dorothy
The Thumbtack Support Team

MY Response:

How is Taking Away information that is helpful such as knowing who else quoted, how fast, where you are in the 15 slot line up so you can track how often you come in as number 9 or 14, where you are in range of quoting, seeing the stage of who’s been contacted .......

how is TAKING AWAY - REMOVING INFORMATION and stats Maximizing my business?

Can you explain that? Please explain to us Pros because I can not believe that pros have overwhelming complained about TT providing insights and timeline so it was removed. Still keeping my fingers crossed I book someone. September was my worst month in 4 years with TT. Thank goodness I have other means that provide me with success. Look forward to your response.
Active Community Member

that still sucks.  put it back the way it was, we could see the competition, how they were rated, the number of reviews they had, the time they replied in.

Community Veteran

Since TT has our email address - why do we have to contact TT to find out about changes.  Why does TT not send out notices to all of us to let us know about changes.  To find out randomly that prices are tripled and that that TT changed the amount of pros that increased to 15 and to most recently -  taking away the insights . . . . .    TT never sent out notifications on these changes.  Why is it that I have to suddenly notice that the Insights changed - all the relative information suddenly gone.  When making dramatic changes to a services that people have been using for some time - and have been successful using the service - it seems only fair that Thumbtack lets us know about any changes.  I had to call TT because I thought something was wrong with my app only to find out that Insights and Timeline was all removed on purpose.  

Community Veteran

Exactly! I grossed $30k combined from June, July, Aug, and then grossed only $3 in sept, as a direct result of TT taking valuable client info away from us. I'm glad you have a backup source of income. I'm supporting myself and TT is my sole source of leads. I sat dead in Jan, Feb, March and half of April. Finally did a normal month is May, and figured out how to work within the new system, and flew up for June, July, Aug. Now I got clobbered in Sept. $3k does not cover my my monthly living expenses.

Active Community Member
Insights from within the quote was very helpful. Please bring back the previous format.
Active Community Member

Very valid point but I'm afraid you are preaching to the choir.  I cannot not tell you how many times over the past four years that I have continually suggested that they develop a coherent commnunications strategy to better inform the ONLINE Pros about changes in policy, functionality, et al - and it has repeatedly fallen on deaf ears.

Think about, you have a forum like this that is a perfect platform the collecting feedback on proposed changes to policy or enhancements (and I use that word VERY lightly because I could probably count on one hand the number of actual "enhancements" as opposed to unwanted changes). Send out a scheduled html email containing relavent content, include a link to a new discussion thread for each specified change(s) as well as solicite feedback from ONLINE Pros concerning how they feel about certain platform elements, etc....???

Well, that would be too easy. Is it simply just poor management starting from the top on down, or is there something else in play where they simply do not care about the people that are actually paying for this platform? All things considered after all this time, I'd have to go with the latter.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for bringing this up @jcp. We didn’t take out the insights per job, we just changed it up. If you go to a conversation between you and a customer, you’ll see “view competition” for that specific quote. In there, we’ve added the other pros that were contacted and included their; star rating, number of reviews, response time, and a bar showing their pricing versus the others who also quoted.  It’s still there, but we’ve made a few changes to it. What are your thoughts on this? What specifically do you feel is missing? 

Active Community Member

star rating, number of reviews, response time, and a bar showing their pricing versus the others who also quoted

it doesn't show the number of replies per contractor, as the old insights did. And it doesn't show a pricing bar; at least my 'view comp' doesn't .

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your insight @BradBaldwin. What other feedback do you have for the "view competition" feature? Send any of your suggestions here and they'll go directly to our Product Team. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's see what's going on @AutumnElectric. I sent you a private message, please respond to that once you get a chance and we'll get this figured out. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@mm check out my response to @jcp about this same topic here. Let me know if you have any questions! 

Active Community Member
So we can’t see any insights unless the customer has contacted someone? No help! That information was helpful to me in making a decision to reach out with a follow up message. We also can’t see who, if any were hired and where prices were in a scale. Also the info was much easier to understand in the previous format. This is a backwards move. Thanks
Community Veteran
No it doesn’t show anything in “view completion” but my picture and 5 stars and the text “no other pros contacted yet”. There is NO list of the others that quoted - NO other information at all. Just me. No timeline - no summary - no status - nothing. And with instant match I am sure 10 others quoted. Its the same on the last several quotes I sent. What do I want to see ? All of it - everything we saw before. Once I quote a request I always go to see where I am in the line up and all the other important info. Info used to conduct and measure my business. All if it is missing now. Can you explain ? You are saying it’s there and it is not - as another here mentioned they don’t have that info either.
Active Community Member
How do I send a screenshot
Community Manager
Community Manager

@VAMarketingGuy we have conversations with pros quite often to receive their feedback and listen to their ideas. A lot of changes and updates we make are based on pro feedback. When we make updates (such as this one) it's not always final and we're open to trying new things. We truly value the suggestions we get from all professionals! With that being said, I want to hear you out and hear what suggestions you have. What do you want to see in the view competition competition feature? What's missing? 

Active Community Member

Wow, really? "What do you want to see in the view competition competition feature? What's missing?"

How about what I've already stated in the post you replied to??? How about the more than two dozen posts regarding re-implementing the features that we use to have with INSIGHTS??? Read the posts. I have yet to see any replies as to why this functionality/data was removed???

Why don't we start with that? Please reply, so that everyone can see what it is you have to say why this INISIGHTS functionality was taken away... we're waiting.

Community Veteran

Jason ~ I am still waiting to for a resposne as to why Thumbtack removed all the insight informaiton.  Your post talks about how you want to help us understand our business better by giving us stats how we compare in the marketplace.  Hey - that is a great weekly tool to have.  But why is TT taking all the information we we get on each request we quoted?  TT took information away.  I had to contact custmer support to find out more only to learn that now we only get all that information in the insights  ONLY if the customer happens to contact any of us.  Then we get to see only the persons information they contacted.  That does not make sense one bit.  I remember when the "insights" came out and how TT boasted how great it is for us to see all that information and how it would help us with our business.  True.  True.  All business need to track information like this to maintain a presence in the marketplace.  But now TT has taken it away.  TT doesn't want us to have full disclosure to that information.  Just explain why and I would appreciate that.

Another note - - why are you posting "Updates to Insights" in the communtiy feed and not a mass mailer to all of TT pros?  I am learning about changes only AFTER they happen.  I learned of this current change because I saw the change immediatly when I quoted someone.  I actually contacted support because I thought there was something wrong with my app.  I even rebooted my phone.  There was never a email notifier to make me aware another change was coming.  Making an annoucement on a change that people use to gain knowledge in a community board post seems a little deceptive.  Just saying . . . .    

Community Veteran

Meckell - you are not answering @mm question or mine or other pros here.  They are telling you they want the full insights back because it helps them.  It seems you and TT are avoiding saying specifically "Hello Pros - we made a change - now TT will only show you full insight information on the other pros quotes on a request IF a customer contacts them.  You will never see all the stats you saw before like the scale, the timeline, the qutoe range, etc.  We at TT took that information away and are now limiting what you see and this is will help your business grow" . . . . .     "But we are giving you a weekly - monthly report to show you stats of what you personally quoted for the month and how many contacts you got."   . . . . 

Active Community Member
JCP, on point, exactly.
Active Community Member
What's missing, is that we can't see if anyone else quoted, but us, until the client contacts someone.
The price range of quotes has been replaced by a bar graph.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! I see that there's some confusion on the insights for each job, so I wanted to give you some clarification. We didn't take away the insights for each job, we just made a few changes to it. When you're in your message between you and a potential customer, you'll now see  View competition. When you click on this, you'll see the following:

If you're the only pro that a customer has contacted, you'll see your statistics along with a message saying "[customer's name] has only contacted you! Reply quickly to get the job." Because there weren't any other pros contacted, there isn't any competition to show and that's why you'll only see your statistics.

If a customer contacts multiple pros you'll see their; star rating, number of reviews, response time, and a bar showing their pricing versus the others who also quoted. If you're in a category that quotes "needs more information" instead of a fixed or hourly price, you won't see the pricing bar. 

The reason why we're only showing pros who are contacted is that we feel that's your competition for that given lead. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback on this, I'll be sure to pass it along. You're being heard! 

Community Veteran

That makes NO sense. We are competing against 14 other pros - NOT just the ONE they contacted! The ONE they contacted is merely the one they selected FROM AMIDST THE FULL RANGE OF COMPETING BIDS. I'm just continuosly stumped as to how TT claims to not understand basic concepts - meanwhile they've instuted an incredibly GENIUS plan to make millions, hand over fist with the new system. The spin that is put on responses is also wildly brilliant in it's creativity, albiet a foolish belief that hundreds of thousands of entreprenurial professionals, smart enough to create and run a business, woud also be dolt enough to buy into explanations, that run in circles, contradicting themselves. I would be far more happy to hear TT sincerely say that they made the changes to increase profits. I'd at least respect the honesty. It would also stop the dozens and dozens of posts from frustrated pros who are wasting precious work time, responding pointelessly to make suggestions that will merely fall on deaf ears, because the bottom line is that nothing will change for any reason other than the bottom line - which infuriates pros who think they can make suggestions and be genuinely heard. I have advised here, numerous times, that any pro wishing to make a suggestion should do so only from the point of view of what's in it for TT. Take your ideas and thoroughly examine them to present them in a way that makes them a benefit to TT. It's the only way they will consider it. No business will make a change that will hurt their bottom line, so unless you present it as a win-win.

Active Community Member

No, there's no confusion (albeit maybe just on your part - or is that simply a lack of honesty).

Please, you do not have to go through and try to explain what we are seeing under "View Competition". We have already be extolling our grievances with what you have replace what was working before Insights was tossed to the wayside. 

What DefiningImagery so succinctly stated concerning the lack of candor on the part of TT when addressing changes made without first seeking input/feedback from ONLINE Pros, and then present such weak explanations on forums I thinks explains it best, ”… [it] infuriates pros who think they can make suggestions and be genuinely heard."

Active Community Member

AND SO ANOTHER CHANGE..BUT WHAT IS IT AND WHY? WHAT HAPPENDED TO THE LONG LONG LIST OF THOSE THAT SENT OR VIA INSTANT MATCH SENT QUOTE TO LEADS????

image.png

image.png

Community Veteran

Meckell this was your response yesterday to our question why the major change in "insights"?

"The reason why we're only showing pros who are contacted is that we feel that's your competition for that given lead. "

That is the most uneducated response I have heard as of yet. 

When the "insights" first came out - go look at the message Thumbtack sent out to us pros when they introduced and first implemented the "insights".  This great tool to help us with our business grow. 

Our competition is every other person who is in the same business as we are.  Regardless if they are on Thumbtack or not.  Since the price has increased triple and we now are bidding against 14 others - - One of the only refreshing and hopeful things for us to try and navagate the changes and apply to our own business is to have all the information possible.  Thumbtack removed that vital information.  And to say you feel the only person who is my competition is ONLY the person that got contacted?  Oh wow.  Truly disappointed.  Why show us any at all.  Why not just take the insights away completly.  When you show me they contacted someone - and not me - it's a let down.  And at that point the odds are they will not be contacting me at all.  

I've been posting and responding a lot because my business has dropped off 99% and the good leads have fallen off from a business I have trived with for 4 years - you have to understand my concerns.  Take a look at my history with TT.  Because I can.  I was booking 6 - 8 customers a month.  Spending about $75-$130 a month.  October 2018 -  ZERO.   

What has been great that a lot of TT Pros have been contacting me directly and expressing the same thoughts.  So I know that several of your Top Pros who have been successfull are finding that all these recent changes seriously effected thier success.  But if TT is now profitting more because of these changes - - because just more and more new pros are just throwing quotes out in mass amounts - seeing 15 quotes make them more likely to contact more than one person - then their is no chance we will see things change.  It will be interesting to see who actually maintains TT as their top source of bookings.  I can not say that anymore.  Now I am just one of 15 people in a huge pond trying to stand out to just one person.    

My fellow professionals - hang tough!  I hope you all find ways to keep your business thriving!  I truly hope that TT can become a major source of leads for me again and for you.  They had such a great format for 3-4 years and I thank them for that!  But for now . . . . .   and with statements like I read above - well - not looking good.     

Active Community Member

Fitcap - I don't think this forum supports PNG attachments. Try uploading the images as JPG so we can view them. THX!

Community Newcomer

Hi All,

There was breifly a function that allowed pros to view the average price quoted by other pros in your area.  This function has been removed.  I was wondering if others have used this function in the past and found it helpful. Personally I did find it helpful and wish it would return.  Does anyone know of another way to find average quoted prices in your area for certain job types.  I do handyman work in my area and found the function very helpful to keep up with pricing trends and for bidding on jobs which I have never previously bid on. 

Thanks for any suggestions or feed back.

AMC

Active Community Member

My impression of the update is that TT got tired of the complaints about how many quotes are allowed on a job so they just stopped showing the number of pros quoting. This has been the "year of bad decisions" at TT.

Active Community Member

Kudos p19581! I've been waiting for someone to bring up this point again. What's even more troubling/frustrating is the number of job requests that end up never indicating anyone as hire - even when several ONLINE Pros have been indicated as contacted.

Community Veteran

Why was Insight removed from the Request? And more importantly, why must I hunt for a missing feature instead of being notified that it was being removed?

I used that insight to evealuate a number of things including the speed with which a customer was making a decision. Now there is scant information available to learn how to adjust my pricing, or know the makeup of the competitors I am quoting against.

Community Newcomer
I have been a Thumbtack Pro for several years and in that time witnessed many changes, which were mostly positive.
However, several of the recent changes are definitely leaning towards the negative.
I definitely do not like the way "Insights" works now. After submitting a quote I used to be able to view a wealth of information specific to the job I was quoting. I could see how many pros had quoted, how quickly they quoted, and how my quote compared to other quotes. I could also viewh which quotes the customer had viewed, as well as the ones she responded to and who she hired.
Now all I am able to see is how my rating compares to other pros and the average time for response. This new "Insight" provides me absolutely 0 insights towards helping me grow my business. Plus to make matters worse, the new system is actually costing me significantly more money. So, I am now spending more and receiving less.
It is my hope that Thumbtack will switch the "Insights" back to the previous system.
Community Newcomer

Hi,

I would like to know how much i have expensed on your app.

The true is i have sent a lot of quotes by the app, but i havent gotten any job until now, and i dont know how much i have expensed.

Thanks!

Active Community Member

so what's the status on returning Insights to the per job menu??

You're looking for feedback,and it seems you've received plenty

Community Manager
Community Manager

@jcp @VAMarketingGuy @AutumnElectric @DefiningImagery @mm Hi everyone, thanks for all that you've contributed to this conversation. I know that there has been some confusion about changes that were made to insights and I'm happy to clear some things up. We no longer show how many pros have sent quotes or which pros a customer has seen because this concept of pros sending quotes is no longer going to be the primary way that pros get in front of customers. We’re in the process of transitioning to a new customer experience where customers determine which pros they see. In this new experience, customers who come to Thumbtack will be able to adjust search filters and instantly see the best pros for the job. Learn more about the new way that customers find pros on Thumbtack.

Because customers will have the ability to browse through several pros without pros sending quotes, what really matters is which pros the customer decides to contact. When a customer contacts you, that’s a lead. And when you view the conversation between you and a customer, you can click “View competition” to see insights about your competition (if there is any).

• If you’re the only pro that a customer has contacted, you’ll just see your stats since there isn’t any competition to show.

• If a customer contacts multiple pros, you’ll see their star rating, number of reviews, response time, and a bar showing your pricing versus the others who also quoted. If you’re in a category that quotes “needs more information” instead of a fixed or hourly price, you won’t see the pricing bar.

If no pros have been contacted yet. This use case will only be relevant for custom pros.If no pros have been contacted yet. This use case will only be relevant for custom pros.If you haven’t been contacted, but other pros have. This use case will only happen for custom pros.If you haven’t been contacted, but other pros have. This use case will only happen for custom pros.If you and other pros have been contacted:If you and other pros have been contacted:

Community Veteran

First of all ~ making a significant change like this should not be posted in a community chat room.  All the changes that have been made should be announced formally in a email to everyone.  It's just the professional and honest way to let your pros know what's going on.  Finding out about changes randomly and suddenly in the middle of a quote is not up front.  Maybe that is a way of you having to use statements like  " . . . . . there has been some confusion about changes".  As far as your annoucement here of these changes.  It's still not clear.  You are announcing that the concept of pros sending quotes is no longer going to be the primary way that pros get in front of custmers.  What exactly does that mean?  We pros will never quote a request anymore?  There will be no Instant Matches?  Now we are just a website that has X amount of Photographers, Videographers or Painters that customers just go to and search?  You know that opens the door to a whole new set of questions.  So I will be on Thumbtacks platform and will just go about my business and just wait to see if any one ever contacts me.  I do nothing.  Just make sure I have good photos and samples.  I will not be responding to any requests people post.  Ok.  That is Thumbtacks choice.  I have the choice to stay or not.  Fair.  Well, my prices range all over the board depending on hours on location, budget, etc.  I am a videographer and photographer for events, parties and corporate.  I can be flexible with my rate on any job.  So how I get that out to the customer looking for my services - - - I don't know.  I don't have a set price.  I have a hourly range - but I can change that too depending.  I know there are about 150+ videographers in my area I think so - - the customer will see all 150 of us.  And do their own searching? 

Am I correct on this so far?  No longer will I get notifications of a new request coming in?  No longer will I quote jobs?   No one will be Instantly Matched?  I just do nothing until someone contacts me.   Well, if they contact me - who really cares at that point who else they contacted. I don't care to see who else they contacted at that point.  Do I?.  This concepts changes my whole interaction with Thumbtack and the entire Thumbtack platform service.  So at least others like bark.com will allow me to respond to those looking for someone who wants a response to their specific needs.  Not a catalog of pros to scroll through.  The great idea of Thumbtack is that I can respond immediatly to a specific need.  As a customer - I would love to input my specifics - as far as day and time and who is available for this amount.  That is fantastic!  So it will be interesting to see what "filters" you give to customers.  A day and time???  That seems hard to post availability on a site that just lets customers browse. 

Anyway, what the new concepts is sounds like It will not be a platform for me to interact and respond directly to new potential customers.  It will just be as if I was advertising in a magazine I suppose.  I don't know how the cost to us will be.  High I suppose.  Hopefully Thumbtack will set up a cost sheet that we can see.  I don't want to be contacted by someone and get charged a $45 fee for someone that wants a phtographer for 3 hours and under $250 budget.  

I see all the responses coming in to you so far - looks like you have a lot of reading to do.  I can not say anymore - I am exhausted in expressing all the things that have not gone right in the last several months.  I just will accept what your changes are and either work with Thumbtact or not.  It is too bad because I am a great person to work with and I have so much repeat business with my Thumbtack customers.  People like that I am fair and professional and resonably priced.   I find this all so sad that my relationship with Thumbtack is slowly becoming less and less and I have really enjoyted the last 4 years.  

I will read your changes and . . .    see what works.  This new course is so far off of what we pros have been expressing that I am just dumbfounded.  This change completely takes the uniqueness of Thumbtack away and the interaction between client and pros.  It's such a dramatic change . . . .   I  . . .   I  . . . .  I just don't know what to say. 

I have to believe Thumbtack does need to make some drastic changes because the company itself is suffering greatly.  These drastic changes, and so many over a short amount of time, only leads me to believe that some serious changes need to be made in order for Thumbtack to survive.  Not us pros.  Because it is changing their entire platform customer experience. 

I have turned to other platforms in order to gain work but will keep an eye on Thumbtack and hope for the best.  

Community Regular

@Meckell when you say that "When a customer contacts you, that's a lead," does this mean I'm going to be charged every time a customer contacts me, even if that customer is someone I would never work with (like someone who didn't read my profile carefully and needs a tutor with expertise I don't have, or someone who doesn't catch that I don't do in-person work)? Or do I get to decline the attempted contact without being charged? I want to be very clear on this before I register any further thoughts. 

ETA: No need for you to bother to reply to this. The deafening silence in response to this and the many other serious questions that have been posed in other threads is all the answer I need. I've already deactivated all my services.

Active Community Member

yup, sounds like it.   We're now going to be at the whim of customers who will contact us, for jobs we wouldn't have quoted on, AND we'll get charged for that contact.

Community Regular

@AutumnElectric

Unfortunately, if that is indeed what comes to pass, I will no longer offer services via Thumbtack. The way I do business requires that I have discretion in choosing my clients, and Thumbtack as a company has not demonstrated the trustworthiness necessary to have such open access to my accounts. 

I hate that it has come to this, because Thumbtack did help me find a few key clients who provided a wonderful cushion as I expanded, and I would have loved to repay that by continuing to use the site, making money for both myself and Thumbtack. However, there is only so much risk I can expose myself to.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@jcp the Community is going to be the place where pros can get the latest updates on new info on product changes, so yes, this was information we felt comfortable sharing. An announcement will be sent out to pros regarding this new change, however, it made sense to share it in this thread as it explains why we made changes to insights. 
You bring up some great questions and I'm happy to answer. Customers are still reviewing quotes, but for any pro who has Instant Match turned on, those quotes are being sent automatically and for free.  What matters far more is whether a pro is contacted by the customer. That's when the pro is paying, and that's when we know whether the customer is interested. That won't be changing. There will always be the jobs feed - that's where you can look to see other jobs from customers who've already contacted another pro.  You're able to check this whenever you want. 

How do customers find you? As they change filters on their job, the pros they see will change and that's all depending on pros preferences. Having a complete profile comes into play when it comes to where you rank on the list of pros they see. Things that will help is reviews, a great response time, a completed profile, and completed preferences. 

This article here has a lot of helpful info on how customers will find pros. @AEHoerl @AutumnElectric, this might be helpful for you as well. I also wanted to add that you still have job preferences to set up as before and we won't be matching you with customers outside of your preferences. 

We'll have more info on this soon, stay tuned! 

Community Regular

@Meckell Utilizing TT's extremely limited "preferences" is not going to do a blessed thing to stop me from being matched with customers who are a terrible fit for what I offer. 

And before you ask: I've already submitted my suggestions via surveys and chats with CS agents re: what tutors actually need to know to determine if a client is a fit. I'm not giving TT any more free labor that it can ignore.

Community Veteran

What matters is a pro contacting us?  Well yes it does.  What is most alarming for us pros who have been highly successful - and even those with moderate succes - find the triple cost unexceptable along with the way it's being applied.  Increase in the amount of quotes allowed - increase of visability on site for customer to browse.  An an explaination that the lead is more valuable if they contact you is not a justifiable answer.  It's just not true.

I saw the unbelievable amount of responses to the community question "let's talk about our pricing" by Vinamrata who posted a few days ago.  Did you read those?  1,579 responses and 158 pages of pros giving their thoughts?  I read alot of negatives about the triple jump in price.  I don't know how your team is dealing with all this but it must be quite the task.  It appears a lot of once successful pros are experiences serious loss of business.  There is no way for Thumbtack to justify this in a manner that makes sense.  Too many months have now past where our personal stats can be evaluated and we can asses that this platform is no longer profitable for us.  It's just a mathmatical truth and certainty.  

I understand that changes come, opportunities arise, new products are always being introduced . . . everywhere in life - not just here.  I am trying to not be dismayed, resentful or angry about the changes here and how it has seriously impacted my income.  As I see it has for many, many people on this site.  I am trying to find the positive use of this changing condition - but not seeing it yet.  Well into the 4th month of a devastaing loss.  

So if Thumbtack is changing - so be it.  But there is no explaintion that will make sense to a $62 charge for a customer contacting me.  And that the customer can contact all 15 responses and hire no one.  That is just not fair and not balanced.  The reasons given for a triple price increase is insulting.  However, Thumbtack has the right to change its direction.  Am I happy - no.  I wish you luck in finding a way that a small business can use this site and be successful on a monthly basis. 

I have joined another competing platform bark.com and will see how you compare in success and pricing.  The next couple months will be interesting to navigate.  I only hope that Thumbtack finds a way back - or a direction towards - that will put us pros in a position to be successful again.   Because of late,  Thumbtack is not receiving monthly income from me anymore.  Average about $85 a month.  And that is pretty consistant over the last several years.   I can only imagine that monthly loss is with many other pros as I read through sooooo many negative responses on the community boards.  

Change happens - what becomes of that is up to us as individuals with choices. 

Active Community Member

@sweetys2018

go to your dashboard page, top right corner, under your icon.  scan the drop down and click on 'payments'.  at the bottom of that page, there's an option to download a csv file. that will open in an excel format, click 'sum' at the bottom of the payments column.

Active Community Member

@Meckell

I'm not signing up for Instant Match, I'm an electrician, with the cost of copper wire, conduit, etc.; the price can change dramatically from 20ft to 100ft!   And I'm not going to set a cheap price to get in the door, then get terrible reviews when I tell a client that it's 100% more than my posted quote was.  That makes no sense. 

as for my profile/preferences, it's listed as 'super strong'.   Where do I find 'job preferences', which I believe, I had set up originally.

Active Community Member

You are correct for not signing up with the Instant Match. I foresaw a problem where the TT "system" was going to have me respond to job requests where I had not had the opportunity to actually see what the customer was looking for (and I'm sorry but the TT UI is horrible, and for the most part I still do not actually know what their needs are due to the lack of depth in the questions that submitters must provide), and therefore get charged for something I did not what to provide services for in the first place. 

What is ironic is that with those individuals that I have actually been able to have a conversation with, they have indicated that they thought they were being SPAMMED due to the immediate responses from 10 ONLINE Pros. (Something I am sure that TT never considered when devising this functionality. Like I'm surprised by that fact.)

Active Community Member

It's been two (2) weeks now and I am still waiting for a reply???