results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 23308: Hefty charge for a dead-lead
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted

Finding Financing

I am a small business and have always been self-financed. I am considering taking out a small loan so that I have some funds to inject into my business for some much needed growth. Anyone have any advice on where I should look first? Any places to avoid? I see adverts all the time for small business loans, but am reluctant to use any online-only service.

Thanks!

Occupations (1)
11 responses
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Re: Finding Financing

@Sarah-Rooforia, you were on our "Finding the Money" panel at the event! Any thoughts or advice for @ChefPaulStaley?

@ChefPaulStaley Glad to hear that business is going well and you're looking to grow, very exciting. The most important thing to consider first is why you need financing and what you are going to use it for before you determine the best option for a lender. I would reseach various options starting with the Small Business Administration (SBA), local banks and/or who you have your current banking relationship with. Before you even approach any of the options I would put together a one pager about your business, what you do, your competitive advantage, opportunities for growth etc. a combination mini business plan/sell sheet. Have all of your paperwork organized and make it easy for them to say yes. I would steer clear of online small business loans unless you feel really confortale with all of the fine print, the terms and interest rates. If your local SBA has a SCORE office it may be helpful to hook up with one of their mentors who also may be able to help with local resources. If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to help in anyway I can feel free to shoot me an email anytime sarah@rooforiaexteriors.com 

Best of Luck!!

Sarah

https://www.sba.gov/lendermatch

https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance

Moderator Jenn

@Sarah-Rooforia Great advice! Thank you. 

jambauer
Level 5

I have a small HVAC business , I use a company called ftl Finance . They have all kinds of programs . Some you pay a percentage others you pay 0% . Not a bad place to start ! And I also use One Main , it's has offices all over the US . Just go in and talk to a manager , it's more on the line of personal loan . But you can get a referral fee. Good luck . Hope this helps
TMPIPER
Level 2

Small business association
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

@TMPIPER, could you say more about your experience? How were you able to find financing?

0 Kudos

Thumbtack has directly helped me grow from an at-home chocolate business to a full fledged catering company that services the entire Pacific Northwest and that has 2 restaurants in development. I also now do destination events all over the US and will be booking my first over seas event within the next month or two, so I don't think that I will be avoiding Thumbtack, nor do I understand why you would suggest doing that on a Thumbtack board. Hopefully this community area grows with helpful and informative professionals adding positively where they can and not be inundated with the negativity that is rampant pretty much everywhere else online.

Oxsome
Level 1

Agree!  Thumbtack is great!

Moderator Jenn

We're happy to hear that!